HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
It is not, Sr., as far as your conversion ratio goes; although you eventually did reach a right final result...


You seemingly used a length in inches of one tenth of one meter (one decimeter)...
It is an area ratio, not a length ratio!

One square foot is .3048 m by .3048 m.
A square decimeter is .10 m by .10 m.

So, a sq. ft. is 9.290304 sq. decimeter.

An ounce is 28.3495231 grams, so 81-90 grams in ounces is equal to 2.857-3.175.
So, the specified wing loading in imperial units, is 26.54 to 29.49 oz/sq. ft..
Man you just can't leave well enough alone.

I used decimeters as that is what the area is spec'ed. I didn't have a formula for square decimeter to square feet handy & since I once made my living W/math, I just used what values were known, 1 decimeter = 3.937".

You like spllitting hairs so much you should be a barber. So I missed it by 1/10oz per sq ft, so what?That's les than .3%. It's an estimate. I used to estimate for a living only it was in 100s of 1000s of $$$$ & sq ft was a given.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:40 AM
Living in the south of France
paulinfrance's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
423 Posts
I ALWAYS use gms/dm2 and they all fly better for it,,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
DogFly.'s Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
maxadventure,
Almost sounds like you and I should swap engines , then we both might have something that works.

My problem is that I check Great planes, they have a 50 size that calls for the FG14, maybe I should look at their Corsair50.
This engine size business is very confusing to somebody with no rc engine experience.
If all else fails, I might just give up, and trade this engine for something electric power.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
Talk soft, carry a big plane.
maxadventure's Avatar
northern colorado
Joined Jul 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly. View Post
maxadventure,
Almost sounds like you and I should swap engines , then we both might have something that works.

My problem is that I check Great planes, they have a 50 size that calls for the FG14, maybe I should look at their Corsair50.
This engine size business is very confusing to somebody with no rc engine experience.
If all else fails, I might just give up, and trade this engine for something electric power.
The swap is tempting, but I love my .65 too much! If you have a model rated for the FG14, you at least have a reference wing loading- just try to match that and you should have similar performance.
Really, it's not a bad idea to hold on to the FG14, bench run it to break it in and at the same go electric to at least work with the plane you want to fly.
just thinking out-loud
maxadventure is offline Find More Posts by maxadventure
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
DogFly.'s Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxadventure View Post
The swap is tempting, but I love my .65 too much! If you have a model rated for the FG14, you at least have a reference wing loading- just try to match that and you should have similar performance.
Really, it's not a bad idea to hold on to the FG14, bench run it to break it in and at the same go electric to at least work with the plane you want to fly.
just thinking out-loud
Hi Max,
Thanks for the response, I'll keep it, probably order the GP Corsair down the road.
I have quite a few electrics to keep me busy for now.
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:32 PM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,548 Posts
Dog, do your self a favor and forget about paper horse power, I long ago figured out that a same sized four stroke will fly a given plane just fine. Flying power is the name of the game and four strokes have it in spades. This Saito .30 flies a Sig LT 25 exactly the same as a Fox or Irvine .25, I use a Graupner 10.5x5 in grass that is a little long and 10x5.5 in short grass. When the 10.5x5 is used it litterally leaps off the ground.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
DogFly.'s Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Dog, do your self a favor and forget about paper horse power, I long ago figured out that a same sized four stroke will fly a given plane just fine. Flying power is the name of the game and four strokes have it in spades. This Saito .30 flies a Sig LT 25 exactly the same as a Fox or Irvine .25, I use a Graupner 10.5x5 in grass that is a little long and 10x5.5 in short grass. When the 10.5x5 is used it litterally leaps off the ground.
I TOBOR,
Thanks for your response, as I stated in my earlier posts, I was hoping to build the TF Spitfire60 Gold Kit, to put the SaitoFG14b into, as it seems the 40 size kits would be cramped with all the necessary equipment.
Unfortunatly, I don't have the experience with gas engines to know if this engine will work with that kit.

http://www.rcplanet.com/TP_Spitfire_...p/topa0140.htm

What do you think?
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:13 PM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,548 Posts
Well, I am not a fan of gas, too much extra junk to accomplish the same thing, but it should work. I like the fire it up and go when using glow and Diesel.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Well, I am not a fan of gas, too much extra junk to accomplish the same thing, but it should work. I like the fire it up and go when using glow and Diesel.
There's also a significant power loss too.

That size GAS 82 will be down on power from a GI 82. Still plenty of power for the right size/weight airframe.

It's just too big for a 40 sized inline engined warbird, & not up to snuff for 60 sized version of same.

It would probably work great in a 60 size cub, Bird Dog, Cessna 180, etc. An 80" Fieseler Storch would be happy W/that engine.

Actually I thought the 50 size Spitfire W/the FG14 was great idea if the OP can get it all stuffed in & he can handle the wing loading W/the narrow maingear.

I would probably give it a try if iI wanted to give an FG14 a home.

Actually, I would probably get a methanol carb/manifold & then it would have a bit more power.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 PM
Registered User
DarZeelon's Avatar
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
Man you just can't leave well enough alone.

I used decimeters as that is what the area is spec'ed. I didn't have a formula for square decimeter to square feet handy & since I once made my living W/math, I just used what values were known, 1 decimeter = 3.937".
As I wrote, Sr., I do tend to cross my 't's, dot my 'i's and see others are doing the same.

The correct factor to covert from grams/sq. dm. to ounces/sq. ft., is 3.05 (close enough), by which you need to divide the former to get the latter.
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:28 AM
Living in the south of France
paulinfrance's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Dog, do your self a favor and forget about paper horse power, I long ago figured out that a same sized four stroke will fly a given plane just fine. Flying power is the name of the game and four strokes have it in spades. This Saito .30 flies a Sig LT 25 exactly the same as a Fox or Irvine .25, I use a Graupner 10.5x5 in grass that is a little long and 10x5.5 in short grass. When the 10.5x5 is used it litterally leaps off the ground.
Yes quite right forget the figeres, i was flying the P40
http://www.rcplanet.com/TP_P_40E_War...p/topa0120.htm

in the 90's with retracts, flaps (a waste of time and weight) on an OS .70 surpass, although they recommend a .90 to .120,,,, so this Topflight spit look like it's for you , i am currently fly a Marutaka Spitfire from the 90's with an Enya .90 4 stroke, retracts and plug warmer and Grossly over weight and it's fine.

ps Tobor,, how does the engine run with your fuel tank setup
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:36 AM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,548 Posts
Hey Paul, thanks for asking. That is my 3rd LT 25, the 2nd had a nose gear, I set this one up originally for an Irvine .25 Diesel conversion, But the little .30 begged me to use it again, I leaned the engine over to get the Irvine muffler outside the fuse so I stayed with that theme.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:28 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
As I wrote, Sr., I do tend to cross my 't's, dot my 'i's and see others are doing the same.

The correct factor to covert from grams/sq. dm. to ounces/sq. ft., is 3.05 (close enough), by which you need to divide the former to get the latter.
I converted inches to decimeters, then used that factor to SQUARE 3.937 for the conversion of sq decimeter to sq in.

Yes you have the correct factor for an easier conversion but I used what I had & it was correct. No i or t left un dotted or crossed.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:35 AM
Registered User
DarZeelon's Avatar
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
823 Posts
OK, Sr.

DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
Living in the south of France
paulinfrance's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
423 Posts
6 and bl,,,, cold but the ronron of the Saito .90 Ts kept me warm,,,,


Fokker Eindecker 80" (4 min 8 sec)
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Composites Forum on RC Groups? TGoodwin Composites Fabrication 9 Oct 01, 2004 03:49 AM
PLEASE KILL ACTIVE X on RC Groups. windsurfer Site Chat 7 Apr 19, 2004 02:16 PM
Help! Large font on RC Groups! Lenny970 Site Chat 4 Mar 20, 2004 10:52 PM