HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
mike early's Avatar
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
They only made this (90T Mk1) particular engine for about 2 years. Not sure what that says, but whenever the owner gets the Cub ready in the spring, I'll be sure to report how it performs.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
They only made this (90T Mk1) particular engine for about 2 years. Not sure what that says, but whenever the owner gets the Cub ready in the spring, I'll be sure to report how it performs.
Yes. And if you look closely at the number 9 in the casting you will see that the left bottom part of the number was grounded off in the casting. Because the first Saito twin was an 80.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:18 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Aug 2011
522 Posts
Hi guys, recently acquired this nice Saito and would like to possibly get some information on it to verify what it is. I'm somewhat convinced that it is a 120 model, but I'd like to verify that in case I decide to sell it or put it in a plane as I'd like to be sure of it being a 120,150, or even possibly the 180. The intake tube is strange to me, no nut holding it on either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yeah, I know, the valve covers are pretty cool !!! Thanks in advance, Shoo
P.S. I put this in the engine section also before I thought to put it here....
shooboy is online now Find More Posts by shooboy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hutch
hutchinstuff's Avatar
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
327 Posts
Hello, rebuilding a saito 65, got a couple a qs for ya, 1 . Should one use straight antifreeze in the crock pot? 2. Can I put the whole cylinder in there without damage to cyl wall? 3. Does anyone have a valve spring Keeper C clip sitting around? Just need one! Thanks!
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Last edited by hutchinstuff; Dec 07, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Registered User
williame3590's Avatar
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Straight antifreeze is fine and yes you can put the whole cylinder in the pot.

Keep the crock pot on low not high, you will discolour the aluminum.
An ultrasonic cleaner is much better and are now affordable for everyone.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:20 PM
Registered User
greyflight390's Avatar
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Feb 2009
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Straight antifreeze is fine and yes you can put the whole cylinder in the pot.

Keep the crock pot on low not high, you will discolour the aluminum.
An ultrasonic cleaner is much better and are now affordable for everyone.

Bill
williame3590 Where does one find the cleaner at? I have a ultrasonic cleaner I picked up 2nd hand many years ago, but have never had the cleaner solution.

Ken
greyflight390 is offline Find More Posts by greyflight390
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:02 AM
Living in the south of France
paulinfrance's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
521 Posts
A beautiful looking engine Shooboy
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hutch
hutchinstuff's Avatar
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Straight antifreeze is fine and yes you can put the whole cylinder in the pot.

Keep the crock pot on low not high, you will discolour the aluminum.
An ultrasonic cleaner is much better and are now affordable for everyone.

Bill
Bill, how bad were those when you put em in?
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:39 AM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,865 Posts
Hey Saito brothers, every now and then someone asks about the early high compression Saito .80, here is a 1987 test by Clarence Lee.

http://www.rcmplans.com/issues/reque...-011987-1.html

Some will say the test is no longer relavent but increasing ones knowledge base is always a good thing. I have this engine and it has served me well 20+ years. Mine will run on anything from 5% to 20% fuel and even Davis Diesl fuel.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
Registered User
williame3590's Avatar
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
Bill, how bad were those when you put em in?
The ultrasonic will make even the worst engine look new again without any real effort whatsoever.
The cleaner I use is supplied by the manufacturer of the unit itself. An alkaline solution that will not harm any metal no matter how long it is submerged.
Once the engine is clean you need only to rinse under warm water.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
Hutch
hutchinstuff's Avatar
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
The ultrasonic will make even the worst engine look new again without any real effort whatsoever.
The cleaner I use is supplied by the manufacturer of the unit itself. An alkaline solution that will not harm any metal no matter how long it is submerged.
Once the engine is clean you need only to rinse under warm water.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I've got my dentistry contacts looking into a used one.
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:24 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
Thanks Bill, I've got my dentistry contacts looking into a used one.
The make I use is the well known ELMIC. A tip : use these thee holders for screws and other small parts.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:16 AM
Dieselized User
gkamysz's Avatar
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,416 Posts
Bill, how long do you clean an engine for? I have a cleaner that appears to be from the same manufacturer disregarding the applied label, but smaller (100W). I'm not impressed with it. If there is burnt castor it takes hours to clean parts, and in that time it begins to etch the aluminum. I think like many inexpensive imports, they just don't work like a Crest (at 5-7 times the price) would.

The tea holder is a great tip. I've been using a small jar glass jar for small bits.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Bill, how long do you clean an engine for? I have a cleaner that appears to be from the same manufacturer disregarding the applied label, but smaller (100W). I'm not impressed with it. If there is burnt castor it takes hours to clean parts, and in that time it begins to etch the aluminum. I think like many inexpensive imports, they just don't work like a Crest (at 5-7 times the price) would.

The tea holder is a great tip. I've been using a small jar glass jar for small bits.

Greg
Frankly I could not do really good restorations without the use of the U-son devive. I have two. And it does not take hours to take all that castor away. I only use strong industrial detergent powder. With aluminium, do not go above 60 and discoloration will not occur. With all due respect, and realising that cost is involved, all those crockpot-brush combinations remind me of the Flintstone movies I watched as a kid. If you like it use it but do'nt doubt the capacities of ultrason. It works wonders for me.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Dieselized User
gkamysz's Avatar
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,416 Posts
Maybe I'm expecting too much. Some of the videos I've seen look like they are much more effective than mine. I do need to try some different cleaning solutions.
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Composites Forum on RC Groups? TGoodwin Composites Fabrication 9 Oct 01, 2004 04:49 AM
PLEASE KILL ACTIVE X on RC Groups. windsurfer Site Chat 7 Apr 19, 2004 03:16 PM
Help! Large font on RC Groups! Lenny970 Site Chat 4 Mar 20, 2004 11:52 PM