SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 07, 2009, 09:19 PM
Registered User Wannabe
rodneygt's Avatar
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
The crankcase tap just needs a piece of fuel line on it and run it so it will drip the excess oil out somewhere - like down one of the landing gears or under the chin of a cowling - where ever is convenient and out of the way.

The tap on the muffler is just like the one on your two strokes - for pressurizing the tank. I've never used a one-way valve in my 100s or .82

Edit: I see that I Tobor and I posted at almost the same time - I wasn't trying to repeat what he said, as I didn't know he said it until I posted.
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:14 PM
Registered User
airboss/oc's Avatar
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
thanks guys I was just checking before I fire that saito up , always get the right answer right away , thats cool too many 2st and now the saito , cant wait to get her flying. what fuel (nitr/oil) do you recomend is best for break-in ? and most likely will be using heli (wildcat 30/23) fuel. or ????
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:38 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc
thanks guys I was just checking before I fire that saito up , always get the right answer right away , thats cool too many 2st and now the saito , cant wait to get her flying. what fuel (nitr/oil) do you recomend is best for break-in ? and most likely will be using heli (wildcat 30/23) fuel. or ????
I broke my first Saito in on Wildcat 25% heli . Still going strong 3 yrs later . I run 20/20 powermaster now . Just keep'er rich and sloppy for the first tank and follow the Saito directions for breakin and adhere to the max RPM for the first tank . Let us hear about your success .

EDIT
Super important is never let the motor get lean running that Heli fuel cause there is no castor in it and it would burn off that synthetic oil real quick.
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2009, 12:07 AM
Registered User
airboss/oc's Avatar
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
I broke my first Saito in on Wildcat 25% heli . Still going strong 3 yrs later . I run 20/20 powermaster now . Just keep'er rich and sloppy for the first tank and follow the Saito directions for breakin and adhere to the max RPM for the first tank . Let us hear about your success .

EDIT
Super important is never let the motor get lean running that Heli fuel cause there is no castor in it and it would burn off that synthetic oil real quick.
that last bit is ever most important and we all have burnt an engine. its nice to know your getting 3 years of use and counting, hows the power ? do you fly 3D or scale or ?
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2009, 07:18 AM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,860 Posts
Boss, I have at least two Saitos, an early high compression 1.50 and an early high compression .80 that are 18 years old and still have their original bearings in them. Neither has ever seen fuel without castor, I run WildCat 10 or 15% nitro with 18% 80/20 syn/castor blend.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:44 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc
that last bit is ever most important and we all have burnt an engine. its nice to know your getting 3 years of use and counting, hows the power ? do you fly 3D or scale or ?
1 1/2 yrs on a trainer . 1 yr on an UltraStick 40 and 6mo. on a Mojo 40 . I am getting 10,000 Rpm's on a 14x4 xoar . No worse for wear . I did put some new seals in on the intake . They were getting crusty . I did run 2 gallons of a castor blend in it but no more castor for me .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2009, 09:15 PM
Registered User
airboss/oc's Avatar
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
sounds like I made a good investment , the OS may be heading for the "for sale " bin.
I agree with Mike Mc. on the castor issue, if you dont get too lean the synthetic is fine
the failure comes in running hot and lean.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2009, 10:17 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc
sounds like I made a good investment , the OS may be heading for the "for sale " bin.
I agree with Mike Mc. on the castor issue, if you dont get too lean the synthetic is fine
the failure comes in running hot and lean.
This is as big of a debate as what premix is best for a gasser . A guy in my club I have lots of respect for has experience on saitos and YS engines . He is also an aircraft engine mechanic . He stated that YS engines will gum up if you run castor in them but saitos like a little . Even 1-2% would be good . He doesn't have a reason why nor does he know why , it is just from personal experience . Said in his experience you will get longer life out of a saito with a little castor .
Weather or not it is true , i'll get back to you in about 10 years .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:45 AM
Registered User
airboss/oc's Avatar
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
Weather or not it is true , i'll get back to you in about 10 years .
10 years ??? my OS 1.20 barley lasts a season then needs ring and piston. my normal season is from jan-dec and I burn a gallon/day every sat/sun, you do the math.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:23 AM
Registered User
United States, GA, Ringgold
Joined Oct 2005
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc
10 years ??? my OS 1.20 barley lasts a season then needs ring and piston. my normal season is from jan-dec and I burn a gallon/day every sat/sun, you do the math.

If you ran an air filter, your ring and piston would last considerably longer. I'm talking about a seriously good air filter, not something that isn't much more than a piece of pantyhose material pulled over the carb air intake. No one can expect any serious time accumulation before parts replacement without an air filter.


Ed Cregger
Ed Cregger is offline Find More Posts by Ed Cregger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2009, 06:57 PM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,860 Posts
Ed, my experience has been quite the opposite, I never use air filters whether flying a Diesel or a fourstroke. I have only flown off of pavement once so nearly all my flying has been off of grass.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:04 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Ringgold
Joined Oct 2005
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
Ed, my experience has been quite the opposite, I never use air filters whether flying a Diesel or a fourstroke. I have only flown off of pavement once so nearly all my flying has been off of grass.

Well, lots of factors can cause us to have different experiences, even if the circumstances sound very similar.

One flying day I spent the entire day at the field. I just couldn't get in enough flying, so I stretched it to where the passing cars had their headlights on. After landing and taxiing up to the pits, I happened to put my head close to the ground and looked toward my model with its engine still running. Behind my model were car headlights on. I was disgusted to see a column of fine dust coming up from the grass field and flowing into the prop arc. I had no idea that that much dust could be sucked up from a grass flying field.

Ever since I saw that dust flowing into the prop arc over grass, I make a serious effort to minimize my engine running time with the model sitting down on the ground. Logic dictates that there is just no way that all of that dust and grit isn't affecting the engine's lifespan.


Ed Cregger
Ed Cregger is offline Find More Posts by Ed Cregger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2009, 08:58 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc
10 years ??? my OS 1.20 barley lasts a season then needs ring and piston. my normal season is from jan-dec and I burn a gallon/day every sat/sun, you do the math.
Thats some serious flying your doing . I fly my one of my saito powered planes about once a week running about 3-6 tanks through it . I take 2-3 planes usually . The rest are usually electric . Thats one heck of a fuel bill you got if your running something like 20-20 . I am liking electric cause we get free power out at our field . Someday all my Saito powered 3d machines will be electric . Especially my profiles .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2009, 09:50 PM
Registered User
airboss/oc's Avatar
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
Thats some serious flying your doing . I fly my one of my saito powered planes about once a week running about 3-6 tanks through it . I take 2-3 planes usually . The rest are usually electric . Thats one heck of a fuel bill you got if your running something like 20-20 . I am liking electric cause we get free power out at our field . Someday all my Saito powered 3d machines will be electric . Especially my profiles .
my fuel bill was twice that much with the helis , I was flying 90s for a long time and it was racking up the $$$ , so when I shelved the synergy's and started flying my planes again it was like throwing money in the bank ! now after weeding out all the old dusty underpowered hanger queens I've been flying the Fusion and lovin every second. cant get enough the field is empty on sat and sundays the scale squad shows up but they make excellent spectators and hardly ever fly.if you switch all your glo to E power you will regret it , been there done that ! nothing sounds or works better than internal combustion engines on 3D aircraft , but I got to say e power is a monster of power but batts and esc's and motors are lame ! too much $$$
and very tempermental.some day e power will be #1 but not yet !
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 07:03 PM
TDI Abuser
flyinghigh's Avatar
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
Its just not for you thats all . I like the Electric versions of my planes way better then the Saito powered versions , but thats just me .
Electrics cheaper also BTW . I mean $300 for an .82 . Come on I can get a more powerful setup electric for $100 cheaper then the spend that on a battery pack to add to my collection . Plus never have to fiddle with anything and come home and set my plane on my nice clean white carpet to admire it.
But thats just what I like , some others don't
Oh yeah you could have saved all the fuel bill for batteries , which BTW are not that expensive these days nor temperamental. A half hour to charge and your off . I fly 3 packs all day long back to back.
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Composites Forum on RC Groups? TGoodwin Composites Fabrication 9 Oct 01, 2004 04:49 AM
PLEASE KILL ACTIVE X on RC Groups. windsurfer Site Chat 7 Apr 19, 2004 03:16 PM
Help! Large font on RC Groups! Lenny970 Site Chat 4 Mar 20, 2004 11:52 PM