Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:33 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAE View Post
Still learning over here.

I started to tune the high-end needle for power, but the RPM was quite unstable. With the throttle full open the RPM would sit at 7700 and out of no where run up to 8500. Is this because it is still rich? I figured continuing to lean the engine may result in more consistent operation, but decided to stop tuning until I understand what is going on.
Need more info . New or old engine ? Size of engine ? Fuel running ? Nitro % ? Prop ? Plug? How many turns on the needles ?

I would check valves first . Put a new OS #F plug in . Sounds like some kind of air leak . There is a washer and seal on the intake going into the head . This could be bad . Could have crap in the carb . Could have bad fuel . Twice I have found my issues to be with the fuel . Good starting point is to have the lowend needle flush with the face of the throttle arm . High end about 2-2.5 turns out to start . Look at post #1 for tuning tips .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:10 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
I will maiden my first Saito tomorrow, a .56 on a new FourStar 40.
Can't wait.
Hey Breezy...welcome. How bout an update and maybe a piccy?
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:52 AM
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
101 Posts
bent

well I had a accident with a 82b and bent the hs needle pretty bad, got the carb apart, got new parts-hs needle and spray bar, my question is- -there is a small hole in the carb body where the spray bar mounts, does the small hole in the spray bar line up to the carb hole

Thanks
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:18 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
The slit in the spray bar should face the intake tube/engine, not the carb venturi.
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:34 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,729 Posts
If yours is like this JH nailed it.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Oct 2010
17 Posts
Mike, I am running a 0.72 that is then years old with about 6 tanks through it. Byron aero G2 10%nitro 20%oil, with the original glow plug. HS needle 1.75 out. LS about 2.5 out.

I've been working the LS in 1/8th at a time, but I think I may have a ways to go yet because the engine will not idle below about 3800.

I did notice that the fuel line and fuel filter vibrate an awful lot. If I hold the line still the engine will richen out a good 1000 RPM. I'm thinking this may be the problem, so I'm looking for a way to mount the fuel filter to the fuse. There is not a log of room to work with though.
SteveAE is offline Find More Posts by SteveAE
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:09 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAE View Post
Mike, I am running a 0.72 that is then years old with about 6 tanks through it. Byron aero G2 10%nitro 20%oil, with the original glow plug. HS needle 1.75 out. LS about 2.5 out.

I've been working the LS in 1/8th at a time, but I think I may have a ways to go yet because the engine will not idle below about 3800.

I did notice that the fuel line and fuel filter vibrate an awful lot. If I hold the line still the engine will richen out a good 1000 RPM. I'm thinking this may be the problem, so I'm looking for a way to mount the fuel filter to the fuse. There is not a log of room to work with though.
Do your valve adjustment and get a new o-ring seal kit and a new os #F plug. Now you say the motor is ten yrs old with only 6 tanks through it or its ten yrs old and you have put 6 tanks through it . On the low end I have never screwed mine in all the way . I go by how flush it is to the face of the black throttle arm (generally a little bit below flush is where it will end up). Also read post#1 links to tuning a Saito . Good info there(just so we know you know how to tune a Saito and how to notice effects). Do these things and get back to us on the results .

I know those engine mounts seem nice and easy to use but 86 it . Heres what happens to some of those mounts with crappy chinese castings . There aluminum is inferior . Engine fell off in flight . A friends dog found it a month later . I was lucky to get it back .
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:11 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
SteveAE,
Mounting the fuel filter to the fuselage will not effect anything. Have you checked the balance of the prop and spinner?
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,729 Posts
Steve, note where this LS needle is, yours will end up about the same. Don't waste you money on the OS-f, it won't change anything except your wallet. As you get the LS needle closer to optimum the vibes will disappear. Nothing makes a Saito shake worse than does a rich LS needle. If you have a filter on your filler line don't waste your time with one on the plane. Its just another thing to cause trouble. Simple = less trouble.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
17 Posts
I bought the engine in ~2002 and ran one tank through it, thoroughly cleaned and after run oiled it, then put it in storage while I went to college, got married, bought a house, and had a kid. Now that I have a little time again I have been flying electrics and wanted to get the nitro plane in the air again.

Using the Tober break in method the engine has an additional 6 tanks through it. The last two were me working on the needle settings. I think it is getting progressively better I'm just being overly cautious about damaging the engine. Everything on the engine looks clean and healthy, haven't torn the carb apart though. Should I just get carb upgrade kit: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI72144
?

Motor mount replacement is under way. I have a GP 40-70 mount that seems like it will fit well. Anything wrong with using that mount? This one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ772&P=ML
I don't have the screws so I'll have to make something up there. And the mounting holes will be awfully close to the old holes. (See pick). Is that going to be a problem?

Jimmy, not using a spinner at the moment, and the prop is well balanced.

I TOBOR, good news! I suspected that might be the case. My LS looks to be a bit farther out than yours, so once I get the engine remounted I'll continue leaning the LS. It would be great to have a video showing various lean and rich symptoms. A complete tuning of a new engine would be very useful as well.
SteveAE is offline Find More Posts by SteveAE
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:01 AM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,026 Posts
Flew the new Toledo Special today. It has one of the original, wider cased 72 Saito engines. Brand spankin new. Didn't touch the LS needle , it was set fine at the factory. Ran it for about 5 minutes on the ground to check for good idle and transition then into the air . The 72 ran flawlessly all day long.Plenty of power for the Toledo (15%Nitro) . Gotta love em .

Now if I wanted simpler...it would have to be a two stroke ....
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,109 Posts
Sounds like your on track . I would still get new o-rings , they do get hard from sitting . A glass mount is agood choice . Put tape on one side of the mount holes and fill with epoxy . Then drill the new ones when dry. Looks like you got the same H9 stick I did . There a blast.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:43 PM
United States, TX, Palestine
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Ive had great success with that mount.
MaverickP-51D is offline Find More Posts by MaverickP-51D
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:38 PM
Prop buster extrordinaire
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Apr 2011
105 Posts
Update.

After waiting two days for winds to improve, I got the FourStar maidened with
no issues last tue.
With the Saito .56 making its majic, she flew great. I have six flights on it now.
MrBreeze is offline Find More Posts by MrBreeze
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:08 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
I recently swapped a used Saito 50 on my Uproar...it's a much better flyer now,easy to start,more thrusty with a 11X7 prop,10% Wildcat fuel..the sound is waay cool.

I think it's a '90s prod Saito with straight pipe,it hauls the Uproar verticle.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT