HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:17 PM
TDI Abuser
Joined Sep 2002
4,125 Posts
You really do not need to go back to break in settings though .
flyinghigh is offline Find More Posts by flyinghigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Greg, the reason for setting the HS needle first is that the HS needle seat is fixed, so you do not need to change it as you adjust the LS needle. If you change the HS needle while trying to set the LS needle you'll end up chasing the LS mixture forever. This 125 picure is a perfect example of about where your LS needle will end up.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Greg, the reason for setting the HS needle first is that the HS needle seat is fixed, so you do not need to change it as you adjust the LS needle. If you change the HS needle while trying to set the LS needle you'll end up chasing the LS mixture forever. This .56 & 1.25 picures are a perfect example of about where your LS needle will end up.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 09:26 PM
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Aug 2008
92 Posts
hey i tobor i understand and i did that yesterday after several trys i have it where i can idle at about 2000rpm for a few mins and throw it to full throt with very little drag to top rpm. but my top rpm is still skipping and rpm is up and down 500 rpm or so. when i was braking it in there was something in the exhaust nipple that didnt let the tank pressure up it was fine untill you hit full throt and it couldnt draw enough full. it would lean out and die. this happened several times before i found what was causing it. i dont know if this could be causing my problem or not. it never froze up or knocked at all. but i will keep working on it.
greg harrison is offline Find More Posts by greg harrison
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:24 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg harrison
. . .
i put the 82 on my h-9 fokker d-7 and it would barely fly.
. . .
That's what I have in my Fokker D.VII and it flies it very well. With the large wheels it does not matter whether it takes off from grass or asphalt runway. ROG is 15-20 feet. Performance is very scale-like. Vertical is limited and requires to "fly" the plane through vertical maneuvers, not hang it on the prop.

BTW, the prop is MA 14x7 Scimitar.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Aug 2008
92 Posts
my 82 isnt right yet it just didnt fly very well. it is the engine h-9 recomends but i am going to try the fg-20. i havent been flying very long and i like it to get in the air quick and if i need the power to pull out of a dumb thumbs i can do it
greg harrison is offline Find More Posts by greg harrison
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
i'm new to glow engines. i have a littlle extra with a os10 waiting to maiden. i would like to get a 4stroke engine sometime. what would you folks suggest? old saito30 or new saito40. saw some saito30's on ebay. read the 40 is about the same size as the 30. any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
gramps
gramps45 is offline Find More Posts by gramps45
Old Aug 19, 2009, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Gramps, here is a shot of the .40a beside a .30GK, a Saito .56 or .62 would be more useful to you in the lomg run I would think.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
i'd like to get a bigger plane. i don't have much storage space,so i try to stick to the smaller ones.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
got another quest. would 10%nitro fuel be okay for the saito40 or would it need a higher % nitro?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps45
got another quest. would 10%nitro fuel be okay for the saito40 or would it need a higher % nitro?
It would probly run on 10% but from what I understand it gets tougher for some motors to idle with the lower nitro content . You will see more performance in saito with say 30% compared to 15% . My saito book does say 10-15% nitro though so your probly good to go with the 10% .

Just outa curiousity Gramps , what is the weight difference between the OS10 and the Saito ? And did you convert the extra from electric or was it intended for nitro ? A 4-banger would put a lot of stress on an electric airframe . I'm building an extreme flight extra 300 that is a 45" wingspan and will weight about 32oz . Gana run about 400-450 watts in it .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Old Aug 20, 2009, 01:45 AM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken
It would probly run on 10% but from what I understand it gets tougher for some motors to idle with the lower nitro content . You will see more performance in saito with say 30% compared to 15% . My saito book does say 10-15% nitro though so your probly good to go with the 10% .

Just outa curiousity Gramps , what is the weight difference between the OS10 and the Saito ? And did you convert the extra from electric or was it intended for nitro ? A 4-banger would put a lot of stress on an electric airframe . I'm building an extreme flight extra 300 that is a 45" wingspan and will weight about 32oz . Gana run about 400-450 watts in it .
i'm not putting the saito in the little extra. it's the herr little extra. it's been discontinued and it was made for nitro. i'm planning on getting the saito40 and find a plane suited for the 40. i like the sig 4star 40 which also has been discontinued. advantage hobbies still have some. i'm trying to decide what to get first. plane or engine.
gramps
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:35 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Gramps, the Saito 40a will run just fine on 10% nitro, or even 5% for that matter, people who say they won't idle on less just haven't tried it. Lots of guys in Australia and Europe run Saitos on 0% nitro with no issues at all.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:49 AM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
I TOBOR thanks alot for the info.
gramps
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:46 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Guess I qualify for this group having just recently aquired my first ever Saito product. I bought a Saito 100 FA-AAC for my Great Planes Stearman to replace a OS FS 91 Surpass which proved to have not nearly enough power for the aircraft. The new powerplant is not quite ran in yet,but already is proving to be very capable of hauling the Boeing around the sky.

One note if I may: Why do people insist on calling an "engine" a "motor"???
Sorry,but this really bugs me as I make my living as an licensed Operating Engineer..would not I then be a Motorneer if it was indeed called a motor??
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed