HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2003, 05:49 PM
fly it like you stole it
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Oct 2002
475 Posts
What software do you use to build your club websites

Just trying to get someinfo on the most user friendly software for building websites. I am working on one for my club but the program I am using is very limited in what I can do and I would like to use something else that compatible with a web page stupid user

Thanks
Leonard Perry
akflyer is offline Find More Posts by akflyer
Old Apr 04, 2003, 06:05 PM
ludicrous Speed!
Renton, WA
Joined Jun 2001
148 Posts
I use a standard text editor. I have never been happy with any of the gui builders.

If you build web site right you can keep the coding and maintenance down. Then it is not so hard.

I have used php in my web site to keep down the amount of coding needed. PHP allows you do server side includes. So for example all my web pages have the same header with menu. The code for that is in one file and is used by all the other pages. So if I want to change the menu. I just update one file.

www.tailboom.com is my site. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. I wrote all the code for the site except the gallery.

--pat
DarkHelmet is offline Find More Posts by DarkHelmet
Old Apr 04, 2003, 07:16 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
M$ FrontPage...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Apr 04, 2003, 07:44 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
notepad works nicely too, learn to do it by hand.
However, I gotten so lazy, I just use front page as well.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Apr 04, 2003, 08:02 PM
fly it like you stole it
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Oct 2002
475 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I have been using yahoo page builder but I cant use fingernails so I have to make the pics smaller to get them on the page, then you cant view them full size.... I picked up Dreamweaver MX but it is a little more intense than page builder and I was hoping there was something out there that was real easy to use. My site is www.peninsulamodelers.com
Old Apr 04, 2003, 08:40 PM
ludicrous Speed!
Renton, WA
Joined Jun 2001
148 Posts
You might consider installing a gallery and using that for your pictures. It automaticaly creates thumb nails etc for you. All you have to do is create the ablmums and upload the files. it is very customizable. That is what I used for my gallery. It's free to boot

My gallery

Gallery page
DarkHelmet is offline Find More Posts by DarkHelmet
Last edited by DarkHelmet; Apr 04, 2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2003, 08:41 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
If you're simply looking for something to build a photo album with thumbnails, Irfanview works for me.
http://www.geocities.com/pfaudette/e...humbnails.html
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:07 AM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,005 Posts
Macromedia dreamweaver has a cool feature called templates. Simply, you make a template, and then spawn as many webpages from it as you want. The cool part comes in when you want to change something...the software will go through each of the pages based on the template and change all of them for you.

You still need to know html though, since the WYSIWYG editors sometimes do some funny things.
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
Old Apr 05, 2003, 09:08 AM
fly it like you stole it
Soldotna Alaska
Joined Oct 2002
475 Posts
Well based on your comments and in talking to others, I guess I cant remain stupid forever and will learn HTML and take the time to go throught the DreamWeaver learning curve. Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 05, 2003, 10:16 AM
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Apr 2000
353 Posts
A great reference for us mere mortals is "HTML for Dummies".

I use Homesite for my website but my (80-year-old) Dad swears by MS Publisher for his EX-POW site (WWII)...

I can tell you knowing a little about HTML or at least having a code reference is a BIG help!
Phil G is offline Find More Posts by Phil G
Old Apr 05, 2003, 06:10 PM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
Try NetObjects Fusion 7; it is probably what you are looking for.
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
Old Apr 06, 2003, 03:49 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
FrontPage is the easiest.

It is WYSIWYG, and this is a must, unless you want to learn HTML, Frames, and all kinds of things.

It has more features that most users will ever need. By the time you will need more feature, then a new FrontPage version will have them.

Anyway, whatever you choose, it must be WYSIWYG. There are like 4-6 good options for this, at reasonnable price.

You can see a frontpage like website made entirely with it at http://plawner.net/

It takes no time to build/maintain as I have no time for anything that would require too much work.

Patrick
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Apr 06, 2003, 03:59 AM
I ment to do that!
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Jul 2002
249 Posts
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/sparksrc 100% Microsoft FrontPage.

Stupid simple, period.
acr1346 is offline Find More Posts by acr1346
Old Apr 06, 2003, 04:18 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Does anyone actually know a good site that's come out of a WYSIWYG editor?

For all of you people using notepad, I suggest you use something like 1st Page 2000 in Hardcore mode instead. It's free, and is at heart a text editor, but has features like tag colouring that make coding *much* easier.

-Ben
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
Old Apr 06, 2003, 04:39 AM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
How do you define "good"?

Both of my sites are with Fusion (now in version 7).

http://gary.retterbush.bei.t-online.de

http://www.retterbush.de
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush