HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:35 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightowl View Post
Because this thread hasn't been very active and that was when he posted the picture of his ornithopter.
Oooops...brain freeze.
I thought the posts right before it were from this year, not last year. It's now 2013, gotta get with the program.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:31 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Here's my 28" Easy Built Models Corsair in progress. Pretty light so far. I need to buy a scale. I replaced the ribs with lighter wood and doubled the amount. The nose needs to be painted a darker violet as well as the edges of the wing, stab and ruidder. This is not an easy kit to build but having built two Hellcats of a similar design I knew what to expect with this one, which has gone much better. I built up the stab more to prevent warping, in which the two halves are glued onto the sides of the rear fuselage and requires a gluing surface to be built as part of the fuselage. I used a straight edge to monitor the sanding of the surface and marked out the stab edge joint on the fuse so I could get that surface flat for the edges of the stab.

Also my 16" Easy Built Models Fokker DVll. The lower wing dihedral is a little more than I would like but I followed the plan and this is what I got.
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:48 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
The Corsair will be set for right hand flight. By accident or divine providence, the left wing has just enough washout, the right wing does not. I am concerned that there isn't enough positive incidence in the wing. The ribs are cambered and not flat bottomed and the wing is placed with an additional 1/6" positive incidence than the plan calls for.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,165 Posts
Kevin,
Nice looking builds. You always have great color choices.

How do you handle the canopies in those kits? I have a few to build and the instructions just say to make a canopy out of thin cellophane liike the wrap on a pack of cigarets. I thought of making a balsa frame and covering it with the cellophane but models with a bubble canopy don't have framework.

What do you do?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:49 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Hi. Jim. I haven't done anything with clear plastic self made canopies. The Corsair came with a molded one. For those airplanes that don't, I sheet the canopy with balsa and then use black tissue to indicate the glass / plastic. I'd loose points in competition.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:51 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Carve a block of balsa that is the shape of the canopy. Insert into a thin plastic water bottle . Pull it tight with some clamps as you heat it with a heat gun. Works for me.

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is online now Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:08 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,165 Posts
Carve a block of balsa that is the shape of the canopy

Right there is 2 long sweaty nights of work for me.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:39 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Just carved one for my Keith Rider R-1 " Suzy". Cut out side profile, block planed the shape ,sand paper smooth, two coats of primer sanded smooth. About an hour to make and an hour to let the primer dry and sand . Five minutes to pull the canopy. I hate making them but it really goes fast once I start. Only power tool I used was a jig saw for the outline , a coping saw is almost as fast. It's a shame to screw up a nice model with a poorly made canopy.

Mike1484
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:32 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Mike, I'm not clear on the plastic to use and just how to form it over the mold.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:23 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Some plastic water bottles are really thin ,these are the one that I use for rubber scale planes. Cut the bottom off , slide in your wooden plug , pull the plastic down with clamps (take out the slack in the plastic ) and heat it up with a heat gun. The plastic will shrink around the wooden plug .

Mike1484
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:26 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Here are some pictures that may help.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:03 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,165 Posts
Mike,
Those pics make a lot of sense. One question, how do you hold the form while heating it? Or doesn't it get that hot??
Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:58 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
I just hold on to the clamps and heat it up. Make sure you cut the neck off the bottle . It is very thick and interferes with the front of the canopy. When clamped it looks like crap but you will be surprised how much the plastic shrinks .Try to avoid any laser marks on the plastic , any glue that holds the label on can be removed with lighter fluid . The form should have some extra length and depth to allow for trimming . Go green ,recycle those old water bottles and make lot's of plastic airplane parts .

Mike 1484
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:56 PM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
584 Posts
Brilliant Mike!
WBE is offline Find More Posts by WBE
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:29 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Thank you very much, Mike. It's clear to me now, no pun intended, Ha Ha. Some of the Easy Built Model kits don't come with molded plastic canopies, not to mention scratch built models.