HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2009, 11:19 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
>Why are there airplane and rubber weight restrictions for the P 30 class and Bostonian class competitions? Wouldn't it be more fun if you could build the lightest plane possible within size guidelines and pack in the maximum amount of rubber?

To take your second question initially .... you can. For example Mulvihill has not restrictions whatsoever other than a maximim wing area of 300 square inches.

As for P30, Bostonian - and many other classes .. the rules are there to provide a comparatively level playing field for all who wish to fly a certain class, and they are free to do anything they wish within those parameters
That makes sense.
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:20 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Questions: Can I use unthinned dope on tissue? What are the drawbacks? If I need thinner will laquer thinner do?

The reason I ask is because right now I'm out of dope thinner. I have plenty of dope, though. I've started on the Thomas Morse Scout build. I have the fuselage built and I'm ready to cover it with tissue. Sometimes I build this way - covering the fuse which I build first before starting on the wings frames. Anyway, I cut down the formers, main keel and side keels by half. I used light weight stringers, too, and left out some of the stringers where I didn't need them to form the tissue so it looks like the weight is 50% lighter than it would be if I built it with the kit wood and with the stock parts. For the plastic cowl I put an insert in it for a gluing surface to glue it to the front of the fuselage and made a nose block which inserts into the cowl. For the rear motor mount I'm using an aluminum tube. So far so good!

I thought it would be easier if I just had my oun thread where I can post everything I'm up to and with all my questions instead of making a new thread every time. I hope no one minds.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Sep 19, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:42 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Check out my last post before this one^

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Sep 20, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
My 2 Cents here, as no other reply has showed up:

I wouldn't advice using unthinned dope, particularily not as a first coat on the watershrinked tissue, as it might cause irregular shrinking with the obvious result, or, at best, a heavy model.....
If you are out of the proper dope thinner, try to find another thinning medium, like acetone or ordinary cellulose thinner. This will most likely work just fine....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:00 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Thanks Gluehand. I'll buy some more dope thinner. I was just wondering if I could take a shortcut and save some money. I'm wondering where the Scout is going to balance. The plan says to balance at 55% back from the LE of the top wing. I've found that most of the planes I've built if not all balance farther back than the plan indication. So I'm guessing at 75% of the top wing. Does anyone have experience with WW1 bi-planes like the Thomas Morse Scout?

Kev

A free flight plane flying is like riding a bicycle with no hands.

Instead of using the 2" plastic wheels which came with the Scout kit, I made wheels that are laminated basswood and balsawood 1/8" thick total. I used a small thrust bearing for the hub. They are lighter. I'm thinking about drilling 4 to 8, 3/8" diameter holes in them like spokes. Will the lighter weight pay off compaired to the added drag?
Last edited by kevin matthews; Sep 20, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:03 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I went ahead and made the Scout wheels solid. They weigh half as much as the plastic wheels.

Kevin
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:36 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I'm going to leave the RC Groups free flight forum for awhile. I don't know if I'll be comming back. I have just not gotten the responses to my posts I hoped for. Thanks to all of you who helped me with this great hobby and good luck to all of you with your free flight planes. If anyone wants to get in touch with me, my Email address is: universecitygraphicsandart@yahoo.com

Kev
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:04 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,014 Posts
Kevin:
You have been a prolific poster to this forum and have come a long way. Like every phase of life you may not necessarily get all the answers you want, but that is life.

Your contributions are appreciated and there are several people with lots of ideas to share and they do it willingly. You are well aware of those who make priceless contributions and are only too willing to share their expertise. These are the nucleus of the group.

There may be the occasional self styled expert who will try and belittle others contributions, but these people are few and can be generally ignored.

You do not necessarily have to be a frequent poster, and I would hope that you remain on the group and continue to be active, both on the group and in model flying.

Regards,
John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,546 Posts
Kevin - John sums it up very well and I agree with him to the full.

I, too, hope you choose to remain with us

Jim
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,090 Posts
Kevin, John and Jim said what a lot of us are thinking.
Your exploits in free flight modeling are an encouragement and inspiration to many who don't post here but use your threads for information.

Check this out-this thread has 53 posts but it also has over 2400 views. 2400! That's a lot of people interested in what you have going on in your hobby life. I for one like to read your columns to de-stress after work.
You have more time to build than I do and I have to substitute your modeling time for mine. Many nights I sit here visualizing your problems and how you're solving them.
Don't assume since no one responds that no one is interested.
Think about it but I hope you decide to hang around here on rcg.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:43 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Thanks a whole lot, guys. I just felt like I had posted too much and was boring everyone.

I made another Parlor Mite changed a little from the inspiration from a plan designed by JWFinn. This one was a bi-plane covered with condenser paper. It really tried to fly. It got stuck in the air five feet from the ground and hovered for a total flight of maybe 20 seconds. I tried more power but it arched over and crashed breaking the wing post but leaving the bottom wing in place. So I tried to fly with one wing. It didn't do bad flying at five feet again but for a little longer. I've redesigned it with only one high wing.

A friend bought my PC for me. I was so thankfull for it and thankfull still. I wouldn't have gotten this far in such a short time without the help here. Thanks again. BTY, scigs is blowing me away with his abilities.

I was thinking about building a smaller version of my large self-designed plane but I started thinking why when the one I have flys so well? Does anyone have any ideas where I should proceed from here - any plane choices? Maybe a Gypsy.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Sep 30, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,090 Posts
What's a Gypsy?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
The 1949 Bill Dean design, kitted by Keil Kraft....?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
...and it's nice to see you around again Kev..!
Old Oct 01, 2009, 10:19 AM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
I am Flying!

Kevin and others. I know you won't be too impressed, but after years of following this and other forums, I finally maidened just this week.

OK, I am not much of a builder or flyer, so, I bought a Icara Butterfly. I was so happy to actually fly it around my living room.

Kevin, you and some of these other guys on this forum were my inspiration. And now I have flown. And this beautiful little plane will continue to inspire me to actually build something.

First, I have to fix this thing already. Noticed a few breaks. But hey...

So, thanks to all for keeping me moving forward on this.
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets