with the 'n' shaped double bearing
like those used on indoor models?
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:40 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I'd have to make it. The good thing about the system I'm using - a bearing hole with a slot in it - is that I can remove the prop assembly and replace it with ease. It's possible. If I used two prop hangers slightly off set and two bearings with a long prop shaft. It would be heavy though. I need to keep some downthrust in mind, also.

Kev

...The downthrust is no problem. The propshaft keeps it's angle with a shim.
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Last edited by kevin matthews; Aug 10, 2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
After building the Boston Found wing while waiting for the wood shipment to arrive which did today, it's back to the Big E building. The wing semi spans are attached to the center panel and the one inch of it is covered. This plane is going to be a little bigger than imagined. I hope to get the wing on the wing posts tonight.

Kev
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:43 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
The wing is resting on the post while I wait for the glue to dry. Later I will CA glue diagonal braces on. I sure wish I could show pictures. Just picture a super big LPP.

Kev
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:20 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I have the wing assembly completed. Everything went just great. The wing is attached to the wing post and four 3/32" sq. diagonal braces are in place. The highest wing post is 9" and the shorter one is 8 1/2" tall for 3 degrees positive incidence. It's two 1/4" x 3/16" built up sticks carved and sanded to an oval. There is a joining piece at the top and bottom. The stab frame is completed - 22" wide with a 7 1/2" chord. I'm in the process of covering it. I'm using tissue instead of the planned condenser paper which came with the Herr Corsair kit. I'm going to attach the wing unit to the carbon fiber stick fuse with rubber bands. I'm planning on CA gluing the stab to it. That way the plane will be able to rest upright after landing. I'm going to rely on an adjustable rudder for a circular flight. It looks now like I'll get 1000 winds of two loops of 1/4" rubber powering the 16" balsa prop and with downthrust. Hopefully this airplane won't fly OOS the first time out. I've even thought of flying indoors to make sure.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Aug 14, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:24 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I have the operational rudder done, covered and doped. It's movable by means of a small copper wire CA glued into place. It's sitting on the stab and I'll leave it in place over night while the glue drys. I'm not going to glue this assembly directly to the motor stick. Instead I'm going to fasten it with rubber bands. I'm thinking if it tips to the side then a CA attachment might break the wood at the joint. I'll be able to remove all of it for transport. I'm going to leave the option open for three loops if needed. I'll step up the number of winds slowly. I'm going to start the trimming by balancing at 66%. The number of winds for three loops will drop to around 600.

Kev
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:48 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
The stab/rudder asembly is resting on the motorstick. I'm waiting for the glue to dry. I didn't have to wait for the rudder at the stab to dry over night. The glue dried in a couple of hours. So this Big E experiment is done. What a big plane!

Kev
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:40 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Just to let everyone know what I've been up to: I finished my second Boston Found with the longer nose although I made a few changes to ease construction. For example the front bottom of the fuse is boxy instead of roundish. My first Found is the same there and it flys well. This second one is lighter. I used smaller wire for the landing gear and the wheels are smaller balsa wood. I'm going to try a single loop of 1/8" rubber.

I made a new stab for the 30" Piper Cub. The old one was warped very much. So I cut the old one out as it was only heald in place with shims. I made the new one without one of the two elevators attached and then slid the stab into place. I then glued on the separate elevator.

Both rudders of the Big E and the big self designed plane ( no name for it yet ) were warped. I pulled them into place with thread fastened to the top and fastened to the tips of the stab.

I have plans to build another Thomas Morse Scout. This one will be made mostly from scratch with better lighter wood than the Guillow's kit comes with. I'm going to make a few construction changes - cutting down the formers, using keels that are smaller and using 1/20" wood for the ribs instead of the 1/16" heavy kit wood, for example. Also I'm going to add a little more dihedral to both wings.

Kev
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:56 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Some time ago I got an inquiry as to whether or not my Big E plane would be suitable for electric indoor. I believe it was about RC though. With the talk now at the other thread about the E-36 electric free flight class I'm wondering if I could set up this plane for electric outdoor free flight. I'll try it with rubber power first to see how it does. My guess is that it wouldn't take much of a powerfull motor to keep it in the air. Too bad the wingspan is 37"!

Kev
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:20 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Not to knock electric or gas powered free flight; I'm going to stick with rubber power. I like the simplicity of it. I'd like to get good at one or two classes of models and maybe compete. I feel like although I make a lot of inquiries into every new thing I discover concerning free flight I don't want to stretch myself too thin trying to build every kind of model class available. I've already built a lot of different kinds of models and I'm still wanting to discover my favorite and then try to be the best I can be with it. No offence to you other than rubber power guys and thanks for the patient help with my wonderings and fascination. I still as yet haven't used a winder with a long rubber motor nor built a DT, I think I need to finish up with the style I started with and use those, too. But it's only been about three years since I found the forum.

Kev
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:46 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Hello everybody, I took four planes out to fly today. First up was the Anna Jr. at 800 winds. It must have caught a thermal. It was up for a long time. I didn't time the flight but my guess is from 3 to 5 minutes. It climbed slowly to around 60 ' and circled with the help of a rudder tab way beyond my expectations. It landed in the middle of a baseball diamond with kids practicing from 150 yards away. I had to interupt and apologize.

Next up was a Guillow's Piper Cub I modified in the construction to save weight but not the design. It performed well for around 20 to 25 seconds.

Next was the Mooney Boston Found. It flew well, for 20 to 30 seconds. I had some problems trimming it at full power but got it flying.

My latest Legal Eagle didn't do well with the 7" tri-blade balsa prop. Too much torque made it roll. I'm planning on going back to a double bladed plastic 7" prop and a loop of 1/8" instead of the 3/16" I thought I needed for the drag of the tri-blade.

Kev
Old Sep 04, 2009, 11:39 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Hotdog! I was mistaken. The span of my Big E plane is 34 1/2" so it would qualify for the E-36 class! Well we'll see.

Kev
Old Sep 09, 2009, 02:48 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Why are there airplane and rubber weight restrictions for the P 30 class and Bostonian class competitions? Wouldn't it be more fun if you could build the lightest plane possible within size guidelines and pack in the maximum amount of rubber?
Old Sep 09, 2009, 05:24 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I have to tell you the story of the last time out to fly. I hired a neighbor who gives rides kind of like a cab but cheaper. We made room for the four small planes in the back and started out for the field across town. "Drive slow, especially around corners, these things are fragile". He didn't. The planes made it okay there. I unloaded them and said "Come back to get me in an hour fifteen minutes". "Okay". I moved the planes to a safe place at one end of the field. Flew them and was done with half an hour to go. I moved the planes back next to the parking lot and waited...to an hour past the pickup time and no cell phone. "I'm going to have to poop" I was afraid: no outhouse and no payphone. A lady rides by on a bicycle fifty yards away. "MAME!, I need your help!" thinking she had a phone. She must've thought I was wierd because she didn't stop. Two cars drove close by. I waived my hands in a distress motion. They didn't stop. It was starting to get dark. Another half an hour passed. I was thinking I could walk out. The nearest anything is a mile away. I'd have to leave my planes and they would get dewed on over night. I could take one with me. Maybe I could take two. Which ones would I save? Another car. I waived again. It pulled up next to me and stopped. "Do you have a cell phone?". He did and I was thankfull beyond expression. I called a cab. It came in ten minutes and nearly didn't see me as it started to drive right past. I yelled "YOOO!" and whistled. He saw me and stopped to pick me up. "I've got some airplanes here...". "Put them in the trunk". He drove so fast the cab bottomed out going over the speed bumps. At home I unloaded my planes thanking the driver with much graditude and moved them inside the building by the elevators. Out comes someone. "You make those?". "Yea". "They fly?" "Yea, they're rubber powered". "There's a rubber band in there?" "Yea, it runs from the prop shaft here to the rear motor mount there". "Those things are cool as #%*+!". My next door neighbor came out. " Those things are preeeettyyyy". "I'll tell you about it later". I thanked God I made it back okay and that the worse didn't happen. I checked out my planes for damage... none. I think my cab friend's disability who was supposed to pick me up is he can't remember anything. I can understand that. Next time I will take my phone, as soon as I get more minutes.

Kev
Old Sep 09, 2009, 06:10 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
>Why are there airplane and rubber weight restrictions for the P 30 class and Bostonian class competitions? Wouldn't it be more fun if you could build the lightest plane possible within size guidelines and pack in the maximum amount of rubber?

To take your second question initially .... you can. For example Mulvihill has not restrictions whatsoever other than a maximim wing area of 300 square inches.

As for P30, Bostonian - and many other classes .. the rules are there to provide a comparatively level playing field for all who wish to fly a certain class, and they are free to do anything they wish within those parameters
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney