SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2009, 08:21 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1
Fourteen years of running a repair shop for cars,bikes and fleet work+ some custom paint work here and there is about to come to an end because the economy sucks,and all I care to do is work on my models.scottie.
Modeling is a nice thing to turn to when life get tough. Itís a nice reminder of how enjoyable the simple things in life can be. Amazing how one can escape from the troubles of the world with a piece of balsa, a rubber band and some tissue. If the rest of the world knew this there would be a lot of therapist out of work.

Hang in there Scottie.

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:39 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
I finished up with my latest Legal Eagle. I'm not going to compete with it, though. I fit it with the balsa three bladed propeller I made. I'm going to try it with a single loop of 3/16" rubber and hand launch it. I tried to make it with a tail wheel for a ROG but all I could get it to do was roll to the right. It won't roll on the floor very well with just a wire tail skid. So I took the wheel off. I was thinking "how many times would I have to CA glue the rear wheel on and then remove it and then repair the tissue before I get it right?" And on top of that what if the first time out flying it in an arena it doesn't fly in a small enough circle and crashes into the wall and breaks? So I'm having fun.

My large self designed 36" wingspan plane is finally done. I had to build another rudder because due to being a slacker, I didn't make the first one very well. it was the last thing to do and I was a little tired. So I made a new one. But, the nose needs a little more weight than I feel comfortable with so I might end up putting 3 loops of 1/4" rubber in it instead of two.

Kev
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:17 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
I'm considering building another Guillow's laser cut Thomas Morse Scout. It's a 24" wing span bi-plane. I've discovered the CG location on many plans makes the plane way too nose heavy to fly. Does anyone know how to locate the "real" CG for a free flight? If I go ahead I'll replace nearly all the wooden kit parts with contest balsa and use 1/20" for the ribs instead of 1/16", for example. And the bottom wing is at 2 degrees positive incidence. Due to the way the Scout will have to be constructed this can't be changed. But I'm wondering if the top wing needs to have some positive incidence, also, instead of 0 degrees as the plan indicates? Don Ross suggests 3 degrees.

Kev
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:16 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
I started building the Big E plane. The only way I'll know if my theory is right is by trying this. I'm going to use the carbon fiber tube for the motor stick. Maybe if it performs well then I'll build an enclosed rubber fuselage model. The outside of the wing, at the tips, is open right now but I'm thinking if it was enclosed then it would trap more air under the wing and create more lift as it descends. You were righ Applehoney, I'm not really ready for competition yet. Peck's has a 20" balsa prop blank I'm thinking about trying but I have no idea how much rubber it would need. One thing is the rear motor mount will only accept three loops of 1/4" rubber. I'm thinking that will be enough for a 16" propeller.
I'm going to set the stabilizer at an angle so when the rubber runs out the plane will float back down in a right hand circle. I don't know though, right now how it is going to rest once it lands. The wing post and stab will be attached with the least amount of rubber needed so the stab will "give" once it lands and the plane will tip over to the right and rest on the wing's right tip.

Kev
Old Aug 05, 2009, 03:50 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
I took my 36" wing span self designed plane out to fly. The wing design is similar to the Anna Jr. wing with tip dihedral due to B Matthews' suggestion. It's powered with two loops of 1/4" rubber with an 11" plastic prop. At 625 winds it climbed to 12' then dove to 5'. It pulled up and circled at 50' for a minute three seconds total flight time. The power out glide was fantastic and the plane actually gained some altitude. It balances at 70%. I don't know what caused the dive. Maybe it was because of the high velosity during the power burst with a stab that has an airfoil. Or it could've been a little tail wind. I'm going to try a 13" higher pitched balsa prop. I'm sorry I can't show pictures yet, maybe soon.

Kev
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:08 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
If this large "LPP" is going to fly in right hand circles then should I build in washout with the left wingtip or the right?

Kev
Old Aug 07, 2009, 10:05 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,602 Posts
Left
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Aug 07, 2009, 01:58 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
Thanks Applehoney. This is going to work out just right. When I built the left wing semispan It turned out with some warpage that left some washout. The right semispan is completely flat. Anyway, I've got both semispans built, covered and doped. I'm going to build the wingpost today. I need to place an order for wood so I can build the stabilizer, the wing center section and the wingtips. I nearly had a major catastrophy the other day. I spilled some dope thinner on the carpet. It took two days to clean out the smell. BTW, your glider looks great. A long time ago I found a 72" wingspan glider kit at the hobby store and I was real interested but back then I didn't know how to get it up to altitude so I didn't buy it. It seemed so very large to me. How long did yours fly? How do you tow it up to altitude?

Kev
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:23 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,602 Posts
>How long did yours fly? How do you tow it up to altitude?

Kevin, to your second question - the glider is hand towed to altitude with a standard 50 metre (164') towline. Takes a little agility in maintaining speed of tow, easing stress on wings, etc.

Your first question is ambigious and possibly unanswerable with any accuracy. If you mean 'how long has it flown' .... lost, with a failed d/t timer, I've heard the tracker signal indicate it was still circling well over 90 minutes from launch, when I had to abandon the retrieval due to other commitments. The tracker took me to it next day - in a tree miles from launch point.

If you mean how long will it fly .. too many variables. From a 50 metre line in still dead air (which really does not exist) I feel it would be good for something close to three minutes but any flight - no matter how calm it might seem - is subject to small air movements, whether rising or falling. This lightweight model is a 'floater' and responds to the slightest trace of warmer air so you'll appreciate that no definitive answer can be given.

72" isn't that large actually .. the original W/Shoes was 88" and I've flown a number of gliders ranging in size from 9' to over 11' span, back in the 50's when such were popular in England
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:52 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
Applehoney, Your answer gives me plenty of information to imagine with. I wonder how a 9' wingspan glider would be transported to the flying area. The wing must have been removable. Still it would be larger than any conventional van or pickup truck. Maybe tied to the roof? Do you tow the glider behind a vehicle to get it up to altitude? Three minutes doesn't seem like a long time but I know it is. I've noticed when the air is calm there is still a little movement with wind drift out in a large open field. I don't know much about gliders. I like the way they look with the large wings and narrow chord.

Kev
Old Aug 07, 2009, 09:09 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,602 Posts
Wing and stab are removable in usual manner, of course, and the wing halves seperate .. though back then I can recall cycling two or three miles to the local flying field with a fully assembled 10' under my arm. Less traffic back then, of course .. lol

I have carried a 9' onepiece power model wing in a station wagon without any problem, though.

Towing is done by hand, running to get the model well up and then it's a question of adjusting speed to wind strength, etc. . a good glider can be 'kited' on the line in the right conditions and the air 'felt' through the towline while waiting for release into a thermal ... or to tow into a thermal already marked by other models, birds, insects etc
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:08 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
I have considered carrying a plane across town by bicycle to the Super Block to fly but the traffic here is usually too terrible for that. I have carried a few large models, in the 30" range to a school field on my bicycle only a few blocks away. Once I was sure the wind was going to tear the wing off but fortunately I made it back with the plane in one piece. I kept thinking "this is not made for this", going to fly in a little too much wind.

Kev
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:08 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
I fit the motorstick of my Big E plane with the 16" balsa prop and two loops of 1/4" rubber and test wound it. The unwinding caused considerable roll to the left. Am I going to have problems during a right hand circular flight with this?

Kev
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:28 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Add right thrust.
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:00 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,568 Posts
Flight, I don't know if that's possible. I used a metal 90 degree bracket 1/16" thick for a prop hanger. The thrust bearing will probably pull straight even though I use a shim for some right thrust. I'll have to look at it. I was going to rely on a large rudder for the right hand flight.

Kev

... I tried a shim - no go.
Last edited by kevin matthews; Aug 10, 2009 at 07:26 AM.