HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2009, 10:41 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
Discussion
Free Flight

Yesterday I sat down and made a Wish/Things I Want To Do list... Make more art, get a drum kit and electric keyboard and practice, finish writing my song lyrics, get my book and movie typed and copywritten, get a reading lamp, have my paintings framed, buy more CD's, drink only two beers per day, lose weight, save money...

But all I really want to do is build and fly airplanes.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2009, 11:12 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin matthews
Yesterday I sat down and made a Wish/Things I Want To Do list...
Don't forget to add a digital camera to that list.....we wish to see your planes....

Quote:
Sure do, Kev....someone mentioned in another thread: "Now I feel the smell of retirement"......I'll sign on that too, really looking forward to spend much more time on aeromodelling....thinking that goes for many of us.....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jul 05, 2009, 11:33 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts

Yes indeed, though not with retirement thoughts, quite the opposite in some ways. I'm in a limbo at the moment, due to waiting on an Immigration decision (am English). There was some delay due to the economy with getting a family member to sign a particular form - long story short I was given 30 days to leave the USA unless a big wad of cash and a big amount of forms got posted off pronto. I'm not allowed to work and, because their decision will be over 2 to 6 months in the waiting, currently find myself using the time for learning at the free flight level.
Can't beat knowing more and that's why i'm currently also all over this forum !
There is some psychological reasoning why I seem to have a fresh model nearly every day too and that no model gets huge time spent on it.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Jul 05, 2009, 03:07 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Yesterday I sat down and made a Wish.........
:
That I was standing in a field of tall clover that extended from horizon to horizion in all dirctions and at this field there was hardly a breath of a breeze. And that this same large field was blessed with thermals moving over it at evenly spaced and fairly frequent intervals. Then I wished I had one of every type of free flight model I ever wanted to fly from old time ignition flying lumberyards to a large .60 powered 1200 square inch Class D the simplest HLG.
And my most ardent wish, is to be in the company of all my free flighting friends, past and present,those among us and those who have went on to eternity. And we would just spent our time talking about planes, and flying all day, then eating,drinking and telling lies all night.

To do list: Live fully everyday as best I can,love fully everyday as best I can, laugh loudly everyday as best I can and share the same with friends and family.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Jul 06, 2009, 02:35 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,258 Posts
Quote:

Yeah but don't tell the wife. Went out to my FF field yesterday morning. COnditions were just perfect. It's a nice local field, about .4 x .7 miles without a tree or even a bush. Grass is kept mowed to about 6-8", nice. First flight with my little E powered 27" Rambler caught a little air. Well over 2 minutes on 25 second's of motor run.

Watching it circling way overhead the red standing out against the perfect blue sky ... priceless.

Then some moron came & called the coppers for trespassing. It's a piece of land that is slated for "upscale shopping" someday. Just what we need more shopping and less green grass.
bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Jul 06, 2009, 03:54 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
I promise I won't tell your wife. I'm glad to hear of such a great flight. What a sad thing.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 01:28 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
Just to let everyone know what I've been up to lately. I'm in the process of building my sixth Legal Eagle. It's the same design as most of the others. This one has a tail wheel to help it ROG. The cabin windows are outlined in white. Looks are inportant to me. It will also all be covered with Jap Esaki tissue to meet the rule requirement. I'm trying to figure out what size rubber to use - a single loop of 1/8" or 3/16". This design flys well with the 1/8" if hand launched but I'm thinking it will need more power to ROG. I don't know.

I'm putting my plans to build the Big E plane on the back burner for now.

I'm wanting to build an Easy Built Models 28" wing span Hellcat kit. It doesn't cost much. Since I have a smaller Hellcat that flys well I think if I do the same thing but bigger, it would fly okay.

Kev
Old Jul 19, 2009, 04:18 AM
Squirell guy
Ottawa, Canada
Joined May 2009
68 Posts
I am into free flight planes like crazy too.

I like the simpler ones so that I can do more of what I want.

And besides, the simple ones are just as fun as the complicated ones. Even funner than RC.
GeneralSocial is offline Find More Posts by GeneralSocial
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:44 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
GeneralSocial, Have you taken a look at the One Nite 16? Peck-Polymers has it. It's a smaller version of the larger One Nite 30" wing span, I believe. It looks like a simple plane and easy to build. It's supposed to fly really well.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Jul 19, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:56 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
I can't take it any more! I keep telling myself my next Legal Eagle will be a bare bones model and made as light as possible. But every time I chicken out thinking well, if I do "this", then it will collapse under the stress of the rubber. I think "this part" needs to be made with a little stronger so heavier balsa.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Jul 20, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:03 AM
Squirell guy
Ottawa, Canada
Joined May 2009
68 Posts
Yes, I've built a One Nite 16 and a One Night 28. That was like 10 years ago though. They fly nice.

I lost one on the roof of a tall building.

On the subject of simple, have you tried the Squirrel that I designed?

I was out last night: http://www.rubber-power.com/Gallery12.htm

And here's a video on building it: http://www.rubber-power.com/make-it.htm

I built on in less than six minutes the other day. That video is posted on the home page. On it's first flight, it flew out of sight. There were a few witnesses so it was worth it.

I will try to build one quickly again. I figure I can break the 5 minute threshold.

Quote:
GeneralSocial, Have you taken a look at the One Nite 16? Peck-Polymers has it. It's a smaller version of the larger One Nite 30" wing span, I believe. It looks like a simple plane and easy to build. It's supposed to fly really well.

Kev
GeneralSocial is offline Find More Posts by GeneralSocial
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:39 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
GeneralSocial, Yea, I have built a Squirrel. It flew pretty well. I also enlarged the plans and built a Squirrel with a 34" wing span. I haven't tried flying it at full power yet but it has done well at around half power. The fuselage is like a Souper 30 fuselage to enclose the rubber which is two loops of 1/4" to power a 9 1/2" propeller.

Kev
Old Jul 21, 2009, 03:51 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,625 Posts
I fit the Legal Eagle I'm working on currently with a single loop of 3/16" rubber. The fuselage held up to the stress. I think it needs the larger size.

Kev
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:04 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Fourteen years of running a repair shop for cars,bikes and fleet work+ some custom paint work here and there is about to come to an end because the economy sucks,and all I care to do is work on my models.scottie.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:50 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,611 Posts
Sad story, hope things pick up for you soon
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney