HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hlbly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 02:55 AM
Oregon
Joined Feb 2009
67 Posts
Discussion
The right stuff

This is going to be a post in the beginners section but I want to take my time and write it well . As the subject is well worth it , and I want to pay tribute to one helluva a guy . I got my first RC toy right after christmas . Radio shack had megatech interceptors for $ 20.00 down from 40 or 50 . I bought 2 of them one for me and one for my 7 year old son . Needless to say , I was infected . The interceptor was less then ideal with its 5 minute flights and 30 minute recharge . So I got a Buzz P-38 ...way cool , my first flight late at night was down by the high school football field . I hit the bleachers so hard with my new toy it sounded like a cartoon sound effect . Filled with a worry similar to a parent that watches their kid wreck his bike badly , i rush over to check damage . Wow I don't see a thing . Way to cool ! Up she goes again , way nice . There uis a problem though . The battery is dead ! Only 7 minutes flying time !!!! I decide I will go look on the net to find a suggestion hopefully . I wind up here at rcgroups !! I find a thread by galaxiex , with exactly the data I nned . I pm him he tells me exactly what to do , and sends a link to a picture of it !! Great place . I wind up buying 4 of the buzz 38 toys but the infection has spread !!! I want a real one , hobby grade !! Well I start reading the rcgroups all the time . Looking in the classified section for possible planes to get , and reading how tough it is to teach yourself . Well I think I want a trainer . Local club is inactive , so I hold off a bit . Eventuall I find this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541484 . Sweet there is a guy named boomerace just lives 30 miles or so away . So i send this PM
"Hello boomerace . My name is art . I would love to meet up with an instructor . My experience is limited to 2 channel differential thrust planes . Buzz P-38's and a megatech interceptor . The local club in Lebanon is not active . I have been hesitant to buy a 3 channel plane as my budget is limited . I have $150.00 set aside to purchase a RTF plane . I would hate to destroy it my 1st flight . I was in an accident on 4 wheelers a few years ago so I am available to fly anytime . I would love to have some help selecting a plane <trainer> too . If you still do training please let me know .

Respectfully ,
Art Lee"

Then I get this reply .
"Hi Art,
Pretty crippled up with arthritis myself but would be glad to help. Weather has been crappy for flying lately but it's bound to get better. With the money you have you might be better getting a decent radio and we can probably put together a good flying plane with what I have in parts laying around. Be glad to get together and see what we can do. You can call me at ***-**** ." plus an email addy .
boomer AKA Joe H****"

Wow very generous offer . Only takes a few days and we find a nice Futaba T7CAP . I buy it , we make arrangements to meet up at his place !!!!!OHMYCOD look at all of his planes big ones little ones , Warbirds scale planes , Jeez everything !!!! A quick pinch to make sure it isn't a dream . Nope it aint !!!!!!! He looks over my TX explains a few things to me about it then we start building a plane !!!!! For me WOOOOOHOOOOOO !!!!!!! Work on it for 2 hours with Boom setting by and talking me thru it . He is just patient as all get out . I am a little clumsy , mostly because I am nervous , this guys is way smart . I am no spring chicken , and he has been doing it since the year of my birth . Plus he is an engineer , used to build airports . Not someone I want to make a bad impression on , so I try to think about all of the questions I want to ask , weeding some out so he doesn't get burned on helping a total noob like me .

STOP continue later ,took out stuff I don't want like booms phone # . Need to add some like the feeling when I start to build my own plane with boom and how I feel about this way generous and patient man .
hlbly is offline Find More Posts by hlbly
Last edited by hlbly; Jul 05, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts