HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2003, 01:41 PM
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
27 Posts
Yipee - Tiger Moth Maiden Flight

Just finished builiding my first plane - a Tigermoth. Have flown 3 times, with the plane staying pretty much in tact (I think the FMS really, really helped).

Here's my setup:
555 Receiver
HS55 Servos
Pixie 7
Hitec Flash 4
2 Cell 1020 Lithium Pack
Foam Wheels
Landing Gear w/"suspension"
Steerable Wheel on Rudder
Flying Wires (Dental Floss)
Painted body tan, wings blue.

On my first flights, I've been flying on a "hillside" near my house that has plenty of tall grass.

First Flight - Tried to do a ROG takeoff on a golf cart path, but kept running plane into curb - ended up "breaking" off both foam wheels. Needed to adjust the rudder wheel so that it points straight. At that point, decided a hand launch - with heart pounding, tossed TM into the wind and let her rip. Wow! It actually flew! Flying went pretty well, ended up doing a counter clockwise loop and then was able to go the other way. Since it was getting dark, my depth perception was a little off and once I couldn't tell if it was coming or going. When I realized it was getting much smaller and moving quickly away, I got worried it would land in a tree or something, so I cut off engine and sort of glided it down into a belly landing. No major damage, although righ side of struts near cockpit pulled loose on one side. Seemed like it would still fly, so I tossed in air again and flew for 5-10 more minutes until it was almost dark. It was level flying, except for a thermal that seemed to come towards me from the bottom of the hill and would lift the plane up, so I would have to give down elevator to bring back into level flight. What a day!

Second Flight- Even better than the first! Actually started doing some figure eights. What a thrill to see the plane come near during a "fly-by". Once again, it started getting dark, and I once again got confused if the plane was coming or going. This time though, I didn't panic, and did a nice slow turn back towards me. Tried to land a couple times into the long grass, but one landing was hard enough to pop loose the inner strut just like the other side did the day before.

Third Flight - Is it too windy too fly? I thought I'd take the chance. Hand tossed plane and it quickly got lifted by the wind, Harrier style. Kept it up in the air, although I wasn't 100% in control. Did a few loops - sort of fun during the down wind leg, the wind would really take it. Crashed a couple times, nothing too serious. Almost dark, went onto the fairway of a nearby golf course and tried a ROG off the short grass (fixed up my wheels with a better method of attachment). Wind caught one wing and cartwheeled plane over and over - no damage. Almost totally dark at this point - decided on one last go. Short flight and ended up landing nose first into the grass - pulled loose the motor mount.

I'm excited to try again this weekend - reglued the motor mount and put some more epoxy on the struts all the way around just to be sure. I must admit a big time rookie move - squirted out epoxy into mixing container. Grabbed hardener, got distracted, and picked up epoxy bottle again. Squirted that again into the mixing container. I applied the glue and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't dry..... Oh well.

What a great hobby! I appreciate all the information posted by everyone on Ezone. It's given me the confidence to dive into this hobby by myself.

Rookie lessons I've learned so far:
Don't fly when it's too windy
Don't fly when it's getting too dark
Don't panic if plane seems to be getting too far away
Yes, you can safely teach yourself to fly

Again, thanks to everyone for the advice!
Ostrich is offline Find More Posts by Ostrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2003, 01:52 PM
United States, NY, Dutchess
Joined Jun 2002
652 Posts
Great flight report. Welcome to the TigerMoth Squadron. Its a great little plane. Its the same plane that got me hooked . I can tell, pretty soon you'll have a hanger full of planes.
robs is offline Find More Posts by robs
Old Apr 04, 2003, 02:07 PM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
Congratulations on your successful flights!

Actually, I learned how to fly the same way you did.
I'd like to add 2 more things in your list,

1. Don't ROG for the first a couple of time, especially when
there is curb;
2. Find a big field and stand in the middle, yes, stand in the
middle of the filed.

That's my 2 cents.

Tom
tomx is offline Find More Posts by tomx
Old Apr 04, 2003, 02:29 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,537 Posts
Congratulations, that's a heckuva little plane, isn't it?

One suggestion: always fly out in front of you, don't fly over your head or circle yourself for safety reasons.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Apr 04, 2003, 03:23 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Congrats Ostrich! Good job learning by yourself. That's the spirit, when you crash, fix it, and head back out to try it again.

I learned the same way with a sim and a TM and a Litestik.

I have to agree with Robs, you're hooked like the rest of us.

Well done,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Apr 04, 2003, 03:29 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Ostrich,
Congrads on your first flights! Way to go! Credit Card maxing out time!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Apr 06, 2003, 12:53 AM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Ostrich,

Just a few questions.....

I too am a newbie, slightly behind you, but in your steps...(FMS etc.)

First. Are you a "fast learner". ( I've been told I am. ) But the real question is, do you feel that this is a "requirement" to learn with the Tigermoth?

Second. Would you reccommend this plane to someone (such as myself) as a first plane?

Third. Where did you purchase, and what was the approx. total cost?

Thanks,

Enemy
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Apr 06, 2003, 01:21 AM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
first plane

This is my first (successfull) plane as well, it fly's great, and fixes easy! I have whacked the right lower wing off several times, with a bit of epoxy it is ready to fly again in ten mins!

My first rc plane was a arf glider in the 80's, and I dug the motor out of the ground more than once trying to get it right, the tm is a dream in comparison...
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
Old Apr 07, 2003, 12:58 PM
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
27 Posts
Enemy:

You're really going to ask how much it cost? Ouch, didn't add it all up until now:

GWS Kit (Unpainted) (Horizon Hobby) 46.99
Hitec Laser 4 Feather (Servo City) 144.00
Laser 4 Transmitter
2HS 55 Servos
555 Receiver
Swapped out Feather Receiver
for 555 for about $30 more.
Servo City is great, plus no
shipping
Pixie 7p Controller (Castle Creations) 34.95
2x1020 LiPolys (Bishop Power) 18.00
Aluminum Solder 7.00
Lipoly "Cell Phone" charger (Bishop) 9.00
Misc (Paint, wheels, Dubro connectors) 40.00
---------
Total +-300.00

I could have saved money by going with the Pico flight pack sold by GWS. However, I wanted to go the LiPoly route plus I wanted a Hitec transmitter. I upgraded to the 555 receiver since so many report the feather glitches. I wanted a good programmable speed controller so that I could use in future planes. I built my own battery pack, but it might have been easier to get the pre-wired pack for a few dollars more. I didn't know at the time, but you need a special aluminum solder to attach the battery leads if you break off the metal tabs, which I accidently did. When I add all this up, it seems sort of expensive, but I figure I can use some of the equipment (transmitter, receiver, speed controller) for my next plane.

As far as a quick learner, I would say that I'm not, other than growing up playing video games. The reason the flight simulator helped is because it's sometimes awkward knowing which way to turn as the plane is coming towards you - for some reason the brain (at least mine) fumbles when it's put under stress (flying towards a tree) and it takes a second to think which way to turn. I think the FMS helped in the learning curve with this, although I didn't spend hours and hours with it. Is the FMS mandatory? Probably not, but I'm sure it will save you at least a few crashes initially.

The main reason I went with the Tiger Moth as a trainer is because of it's size. At first I almost went with the T52 (because of its durability), but decided the sheer size of it might be too big to "inconspiculously" learn in a small field accross the street from my house adjacent to a golf course. I wanted something small enough to learn without fearing that I might scare somebody with a big 4 ft wing span hunk of foam careening across the fairway of a nearby golf course. Also, I liked the idea of having a plane that I could taxi and land from a hard surface. Lastly, the LiPoly flight times of 50 minutes I read about was the "closer" - I didn't want to waste time recharging every eight minutes like with some of the other planes.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 07, 2003, 01:17 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,387 Posts
Ostrich,

Helps a LOT... thanks.

My LHS was trying to push a Zagi type wing on me for a long time. (and I thought building one would be cheaper) That was when thay actually acknowledged the fact that I was in the store!!! I guess they just figure that they have a monopoly around here and that newbies must be suckers. (next closest (L)HS is 1h 45min away, the other way) Neither carry GWS anyway.

I will check out Servo City right now!!

Again thanks

Enemy
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Last edited by The Enemy; Apr 07, 2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2003, 02:09 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Joined Jul 2001
262 Posts
I just finished my Tiger Moth last week. Ive only had her out once due to wind. The maiden went well except my landing gear was bent too far to the rear and she nosed over too easily - broken prop. My question is about the landing gear. The music wire seams too weak and Im not happy with the construction(my own). The dia. is the largest that will fit in the LYT wheels and I dont want to add a bunch of weight, Im at 8oz flying weight now. I can't get the wheels to line up straight with each other and the wire flexes too much. Any suggestions?

Thanks, SpeedBug
Speedbug88 is offline Find More Posts by Speedbug88
Old Apr 07, 2003, 02:12 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Joined Jul 2001
262 Posts
forgot the picture...
Speedbug88 is offline Find More Posts by Speedbug88
Old Apr 07, 2003, 03:42 PM
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
27 Posts
Speedbug:

You mentioned your landing gear was bent back too far. The channels in the fuse have a forward orientation so that the gear exits the fuselage and contact the ground at a forward angle, that is greater than 45 degrees:
Fuselage
-----------------/----------
added \ /
Wire \ /Gear
\ / Wire
\ /
/
( * )Wheel
===============
Ground

The trouble I had was the opposite; because of the forward angle, the gear would bend way forward at landing. To fix this, I added wire to keep the landing gear from flexing too far forward. Sorry, I'm at work; I'll post a picture later.

Have you bent your gear wire so that it bends back the other way, towards the rear of the plane?? If so, straighten out so that it follows the angle of the channel in the fuselage.

It took me a couple trys to get the landing gear to work the way I wanted it, seems to work ok now. Like I said, I'll post a picture to see if it's any help.

Do a search under the park flyer forum under "Tiger Moth Landing Gear" for a thread started by Xoltri. I think it's the most comprehensive.