SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Feb 2004
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
to Joe M

Any further testing with the D47's as an alternative to D60's?

I have installed D60's in mine, but I'd love to know whether the D47's are up to the task - they would sit flush, which would allow for a much more streamlined servo cover....
I fly with Joe and he is still running the 60's on his models. He has also been cutting down his ailerons and to about 12" I am sure the 47's would be up to the task for the cut down surfaces. Or on the stock surfaces to 180 at least. But the big problem with the 47's is that the drive train is not as durable for those less than perfect landings.

Paul
Flyboypaul is offline Find More Posts by Flyboypaul
Last edited by Flyboypaul; Oct 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:27 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
to Joe M

Any further testing with the D47's as an alternative to D60's?

I have installed D60's in mine, but I'd love to know whether the D47's are up to the task - they would sit flush, which would allow for a much more streamlined servo cover....
Adam Zim & I have 47 s in our D40;s. Frontside and light DSthey work nice.
We ll keep you posted. More DS tomorrow.
George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:34 AM
AKA Cardboard Keith
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2003
219 Posts
Hey up George, where are you DSing tomorrow?
Club 20 king is offline Find More Posts by Club 20 king
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:53 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
920 Posts
[Hey up George, where are you DSing tomorrow?]

Surely, P-Y-F?

Can't believe you'd be coming all the way to Rushup for a NNE 10 mph & ultra-shallow backside?
But I hope so - see you there
With no material winds forecast over the weekend, beggars can't be choosers......
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
AKA Cardboard Keith
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2003
219 Posts
PYF look s nailed on for tomorrow unforetunatley I have to work as usual!
Club 20 king is offline Find More Posts by Club 20 king
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:16 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Guys, I wanted to have flight reports by now with my D47's but I've been swamped with work getting ready for a test event. Plan was to fly it during last weekends outtings but it just didn't make it. I won't be able to get back to it until November so I'll have to leave the D47 reports up to one of the others. I have't read back to see if any of the other posters have D47's so FAIK we could have already had a report

At least I haven't crashed it yet

Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:41 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman
[Hey up George, where are you DSing tomorrow?]

Surely, P-Y-F?

Can't believe you'd be coming all the way to Rushup for a NNE 10 mph & ultra-shallow backside?
But I hope so - see you there
With no material winds forecast over the weekend, beggars can't be choosers......

Yep. Rushup
gotta take what you can eh.
George
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
308 Posts
I was lurking and saw the D-60 vs. D 47 discussion so I thought I would chime in... I can't tell you where the limit with a D 47 will be but Bill Lorenz went 180 mph with them in his plane and there didn't seem to be any issues...

Food for thought.

Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
I have gone 200+ with them a couple times with long arms (not good) and 4.8V. Im sure they will be good to 250 with the right geometry.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Oct 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
More like crunchman....
Joined Mar 2007
920 Posts
[Yep. Rushup
gotta take what you can eh.
George]

A hugely enjoyable day.
Might not have been enough drive to put anything 'on step', but it was Rushup the "wrong way round" after all, & loads of fun. Great to meet you guys (Adam, Rick/"Zim" & George) after much indirect & some direct internet correspondence.

To Adam & George, who left a bit earlier, you missed the serenity of the early evening - not much wind but a backside like whipped cream.
(Hmm , reminds me of a few girls........)

Sorry to hijack your thread Joe, but there were 3 D40s up there, two of which stretched their legs frontside, & coped admirably in less than ideal conditions backside.
Beautiful little planes, in the flesh even smaller than I imagined, yet very strongly constructed, & with a surprising presence in the air. They seem to be more visible aloft than my 54" destiny; can't quite figure out why.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 04:09 PM
Shropshire
Joined Jan 2005
474 Posts
did you get the gun on them Gray
Andy_b is offline Find More Posts by Andy_b
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:23 PM
More like crunchman....
Joined Mar 2007
920 Posts
[did you get the gun on them Gray]

Yup, but can't recall the speeds - probably because they weren't relevant to what was just a great day's fun
But I think George may have got a PB. Perhaps Adam or Rick will clarify: I'm damaged by a session in a 500 year old pub on the way home.......

We may not have 5000' high mega-sites, but we do have ancient hostelries with tasty barmaids to add to our lower altitude pleasures....

BTW, I resent being described on site as "the guy with grey hair"; these highlights cost me a fortune.........
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman
[

Sorry to hijack your thread Joe, but there were 3 D40s up there, two of which stretched their legs frontside, & coped admirably in less than ideal conditions backside.
Beautiful little planes, in the flesh even smaller than I imagined, yet very strongly constructed, & with a surprising presence in the air. They seem to be more visible aloft than my 54" destiny; can't quite figure out why.
No worries here. You cant imagine how good it feels to read about your fun flying trips with the D40. Keep them coming.
I have had a few others say the same thing, "that plane doesnt look small once it's in the air". I dont understand it either but it sure is a plus. Have fun flying.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Oct 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,070 Posts
Almost

My fuse is done with the elevator, and the wings are servo'd, so its servo cover, reciever, battery, and balance. Then wait for wind. How is the weather Joe?

John
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:50 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
D40 ROCKS!
Wow what a day we had up at Rushup yesterday!
I finaly got to fly the D40 on the back side and do a few laps with it.
It was my first ds laps with a moulded plane too.
To say I was a tad nervous was an understatement... but took some deep breaths and fired it into the southern backside of the hill.

It took me a few go's to get it into the groove and I must thank DSMan Graham for his superb coaching and giving me some very good 'Secret Stuff'. Once I got my head around that I went 93mph!

She is a little monsta on the back side. Lots of fun and a couple of moments that I managed to get away with, with some 'lucky' stick twiddling.

Some time after the 93 I was shaking a bit too much so gave the trannie to Adam and he flew her a bit omn the front while I got myself together again.
I then did a few more laps on the back but I dont remember the speeds and they were no higher than I had gone.
After one particulaly rouge moment, which I manmaged to get away with again, I said 'Thats it I've had enough! '

I landed the little ship on the frontside and took her home in one piece.

OH YEA! The D 40 is a very special machine... Bigger in the air than in the hand, but man you dont need to take your eyes off her (for a quick glance at the back side as you dive in for example...) wont be doing that again

I did find I needed some down elevator to stop her ballooning as she came up the hill so I am going to have a model memory for front side flying and one for DS. More work is needed on these settings for sure.
Then, I'll go faster!

I managed to do 101mph with my JW too, but the best flight of the day was with the D40 and the icing on the hill for me was going home, D40 intact and the fastest time of the day for a D40!
Ha Ha!

Thanks Joe. Well Wicked mate.
Cheers
George