HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2009, 01:15 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
Some friends and I were just talking about this the other day. I couldnt ask for a better model. The D40 always holds it's own in speed no matter what is flying or how windy it is. It turns on a dime and accelerates like no other.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2009, 02:32 AM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Thomas, looks like you're video is marked as private.
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Oct 04, 2009, 03:18 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
Hi Pismo

it's fixed now(I didn't realize it set on private automaticly) .

But the video isn't special just shows some landing approaches and how well the D40 behaves at the lip.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2009, 01:22 AM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Thanks Thomas! It's great to see video of the D40 since there still seems to be a limited amount out there. It's such a sweet looking flyer.

Hope to have some video and pix up of mine soon.

Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:06 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,067 Posts
Pushrod Cassette

The best reason for a servo not being placed in the tail fin to drive a Cross tail, or T tail airplane is because of the thickness required to work such a device. With a cassette of carbon side plates a fixed point between the side plates of the same thickness as the belcrank, and all stiff enough (carbon), then you have a very precise and as strong as a servo you care to place in the fuselage.
I used this instead of the bent wire on my Blast. And i did it after i crashed the Blast in turbulent conditions where i was hunting for elevator consistency, and couldnt find it.
May be its over reaction, but if you have 1 mm of play in the elevator, and that seems about par for this little D40, then you may want to consider a cassette belcrank.
Here are some pictures of what i plan to install. I can only say it works with the Blast, and if anything it adds stiffness to the fin (even if it doesnt need it). And it will give absolute precision, to the point of the gear lash of the servo itself.

Drill precise and square holes to the exact diameter of the piano wire pivots and push rod that you will use. Go small if necessary, then burnish it with the correct size wire, ground rough to a taper, and run with a drill. The surfaces will be smoothe and slop free.
John
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Last edited by Indubitably; Oct 07, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 02:49 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo
Thanks Thomas! It's great to see video of the D40 since there still seems to be a limited amount out there. It's such a sweet looking flyer.

Hope to have some video and pix up of mine soon.

Jim
Here is some that Lee shot of Adams D40 last week. Thanks Lee

Adams D40 (3 min 29 sec)
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:41 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,067 Posts
D 40 Pushrod Cassette

Im surprised how much shorter the long arm is,and how i had to relocate the elevator side, closer to the axis of the long arm, to make it work. The pushrod servo side has bent wire and a soldered on keeper. The elevator sice is kept in by the narrow sides.
The epoxy in the tail to support the verticle pins had to be avoided, and the space behind the middle pin just wasnt enough, so i moved the cassette forward, and relocated the elevator side to allow for new geometry.
But its in, and after minimizing the side plates some. And it works smooth. I now must bend the wire to fit the elevator control, just the right length to be in the sweet spot of the range.
Last edited by Indubitably; Oct 11, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 06:56 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Last edited by daboz; Oct 12, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:24 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Are you coming to the UK?
George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Last edited by Geo420; Oct 12, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:27 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
I understand...

Chris,
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Last edited by daboz; Oct 12, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:27 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,536 Posts
Elavator servo mount

I'm fitting out my D40 this week. Here is my stab mount. I epoxied in a CF plate for the JR servo to rest on. This allows room underneath the tray for ballast bars.

The wings are done (boy was that hard work-not) and the elevator horn is installed. I'm just waiting on the epoxy for the pushrod to cure out before I install the elevator servo with 5 min epoxy

WinchDoc
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:04 PM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
D40 Pushrod Cassette

Neat update of the belcrank idea. From what you have said you made a new elevator crank to maintain 90deg on the elevator arm and 90deg to the pushrod drive on the long arm.
Is this correct - the whole cassette appears to be upside down and its difficult to see.
How well do the holes on the rods wear?
Thats not fuselage abuse by any chance?
This idea has lots of other applications.

Thanks
John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:42 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,067 Posts
Pushrod Cassette

Im not sure if i should have posted this idea before it has been tested on the D40. It worked so well with the Blast, that i knew i wanted it for this plane as well. And the bent wire as i saw it seems to work, but i also see 1 mm or so of vagueness, and for such a small little elevator thats big.
But you have to open up quite a bit of the side of the fin. Maybe if enough try it and like it, Joe can put something like this in before the sides are joined. Or maybe we can ask for the fuse un assembled, but then the fin pins are so nice and precise from the factory.

The elevator control horn should be positioned such that the clevis pin pivots directly below the hinge line if the push rod is paralell to the long axis of the plane. If the push rod comes up directly from under the elevator, then it can connect flush with the surface, but needs to be behind the hinge equal to the length of the control horn length or thereabouts. Now this link comes up at about a 45 degree angle, thus, the control horn, and its distance behind the hinge needs to be correspondingly adjusted.

And the pivot on the bel crank needs to be positioned depending on where it actually pivots, so as to give an acceptable push, pull. I have a reduction of about 40%, which i intended so as to us a fast servo, and utilize all the resolution that i can. And it keeps the torque up, and the slop out. Presently it is hooked up and there is absolutely no detectable wiggle, not even with the servo gears in play.
John
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:33 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,536 Posts
D60 servo covers

I wanted some covers over the fragile servo arms and aileron horns.
Rummaging thru my servo cover drawer, I find a set I got from Sporter a while back that incorporated a bump-out for the servo.
The bump was not exactly the right size to fit the D60, but SOOOooo close.

The solution was to remove one edge and 'float' it over the linkage.
Add a little clear tape, and there you go, custom servo covers for the D60s.
The CF has the bling factor, but effectively protects the entire linkage from trouble.

What a cute little bugger! 19oz ready to huck.
Rubber band on a stick,
maybe tip launch....

WinchDoc

now, where'd I put "The Ripper"....
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Last edited by winchdoc; Oct 14, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:10 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,911 Posts
to Joe M

Any further testing with the D47's as an alternative to D60's?

I have installed D60's in mine, but I'd love to know whether the D47's are up to the task - they would sit flush, which would allow for a much more streamlined servo cover....
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx