HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2009, 12:38 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Now I take a piece of endgrain balsa and slide it under the servo and just CA everything in place. I use the gorilla glue for this. I also glue the base of the servo to the fuse side really well. Quick and easy. Once the servo is glued in I take the gorilla glue and glue the end of the pushrod housing to the side of the fuse not forcing it to the fuse side but filling any gap that exists. I let the housing stay where it is. Once the end of the housing is glued, I take regular thick CA and run it back down the housing into the boom glueing it down. Be sure to plug off the antenna exit hole or it could get messy.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2009, 12:52 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Now I pin the elevator in place and mark where I will install the horn. It will have to go slightly off to one side of the elevator as the cable is dead center. Make a line. I take the diamond cutter pictured earlier and cut the slot for the horn. The horns will be provided cut to shape but no holes will be drilled in them as there are many different methods and wire sizes etc. one can build this model. As for the elevator, the hole location will vary depending on where the pushrod is exiting the fuse so I glue in the horn first and take a dremel with a 1MM bit and make the hole after I have marked it's location. Once it is all in place I glue the cable solid into the elevator horn. It does not pivot anymore but flexes slightly.

This concludes the elevator servo install. I will pick up from here later. Time to rest.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 09:56 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Now For The Wing

I cut a hole in the wing big enough to slide both extensions through. I use gorilla CA to glue in the servos and horns. On this model I had to remove a small amount of material to get the servo to fit. This has been addressed and the next run should have slightly larger cutouts. The install goes the same as any other setup. Keep everything tight.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:14 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
The servo in the pics was installed incorrectly. The servo arm was too far forward and the linkage was close to binding at neutral and I wasn't able to get enough down travel. I had to shorten the linkage a bit. Dont do what I did.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:24 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Cool Switch

Next is to install the switch. These switches are available with the models for $25. They install in a a couple minutes and allow you to keep the wing bolted down for the life of the plane. They come with a charge jack. I use the dremel and poke a hole through the side of the fuse. It is best to put the switch as close to the servo as possible so you have more room to get your battery and receiver in and out if needed. I open the hole until the jack just fits. I tighten the lock nut on the jack and use it as a spacer. I place the switch so that it is barely proud of the outside of the fuse and use gorilla CA to glue it to the inside of the fuse wall. The gorilla CA is almost gel like. You can fill any gap between the switch housing and fuse wall with ease. This installation has held up even in severe crashes. Im very happy with these switches.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:30 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Receiver Install

I take a drinking straw and shrink the antenna to one end and spiral wrap around until I get to the other end and add another piece of shrink tubing. This allows the antenna to stick out around 6" at the rear. I CA the shrink tubing to the side of the fuse in the front to keep it in place. Just a little so I can remove it if necessary. The receiver in this model will be run up front behind the battery but there is also room to slide a small receiver behind the elevator servo under the wing bolt area. This is done if you run a AA stick pack.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:43 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Model Complete!

The CG is 40MM back from the LE at the fuse sides. This build will easily allow the model to get into the 200+ range. There have been some mods to go 250+ and hopefully 300+. On this one I glued the tips of the ailerons and added 3oz of lead to each wing tip through the servo bays and stuffed the fuse full of lead to get it up to 35oz. It is one pound heavier than a stock build. Very difficult to fly at low speeds. I reccommend to anybody building one to keep it stock at first and add lead later so they can experience the performance of the model at various flying weights. I have had one up to 41oz and it was too heavy. A really safe tradeoff is 28oz AUW.

Production is in full swing and all orders should be complete in about 8 weeks. If your on the front of the list your model should be ready to ship in about 4 weeks. Thanks again for your patience guy's.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:16 PM
Volare!
San Franciso Bay Area
Joined Dec 2005
248 Posts
Great to see the D40 coming back on line. Can't wait to get mine!!

I'd like one of those cool charge/switch jacks too.

Thanks for the great build thread.

-Matt
Matt Galland is offline Find More Posts by Matt Galland
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:02 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,037 Posts
Very Nice Joe

Im looking forward to building one now, and of course flying it here. I would take a switch, and servos, batts if you bundled it all together. It looks 2.4 perfect. And there are some pretty small recievers in 2.4
john
Indubitably is online now Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:23 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indubitably
Im looking forward to building one now, and of course flying it here. I would take a switch, and servos, batts if you bundled it all together. It looks 2.4 perfect. And there are some pretty small recievers in 2.4
john
Joe... George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:39 AM
CRASH NOW,CRY LATER!!
Joined Aug 2007
73 Posts
thanks again joe!!

hey joe that d 40 is bad azz! finally got to fly mine vincent was fair today radar wasnt working so no speeds. but that lil plane halls azz!
rojomatt is offline Find More Posts by rojomatt
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2005
849 Posts
vincent yesterday

+1....I was impressed with the d40 as well. Lil screamer. I really wanted to try it out but it was too late in the evening and that thing was too hard to see for me in that light. Matt, your a mad dog taking a Ford focus all the way down to the site. That was fun man.
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,153 Posts
Hey Joe -- looks like you're running a DS285MG servo on the elevator. One of my buddies who is getting a D40 was curious if a 94761z will fit? Looks like the Airtronics would be a bit wide to me for a sideways install ,,, would it fit vertically?

Thanks for making these available ! Next year we could do a D40 fest!
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:05 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtMc
Hey Joe -- looks like you're running a DS285MG servo on the elevator. One of my buddies who is getting a D40 was curious if a 94761z will fit? Looks like the Airtronics would be a bit wide to me for a sideways install ,,, would it fit vertically?

Thanks for making these available ! Next year we could do a D40 fest!
Not a chance on the airtronics. definitely would love to have a D40 fest. It would be a blast.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:39 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
A small off topic question, what are those locking components on the aileron L-bends called? They'd be perfect on a 'servos in the tail' install on my 60"
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor