SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2010, 02:37 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2005
49 Posts
My D40 arrived on Friday. I'm building mine along the lines of Joe's build at the start of this thread and it seems from previous posts that the elevator pushrod installation causes some problems so I made a former to hold the pushrod outer in the proper place and at the correct curve. This has resulted in a smooth slop free connection.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...3&d=1265660818

After drilling the hole at the tail I threaded the cable inner thro' the hole and pushed it up to the wing seat opening then I threaded the outer onto the cable and pulled it back checking for free movement before gluing the outer in place. Some drops of cyno dropped towards the tail hold the former in place. Simple
mowta is offline Find More Posts by mowta
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:58 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
I got this - 'Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator'

Anyhow - I maidened my flapper D40 and it flew straight out of my hand. I LOVE IT!!!! The flaps are very welcome on this little machine.

The CG is pretty important on this one, and she responded very differently with only 4grams of nose weight shy of 43mm. Right at 43 was perfect.

The orange black and white is great too. Even coming right at me, the white looked like it was lit up.

-=Vern
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:58 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2005
49 Posts
Sorry about that - this is my first attempt at posting a photo. Hopefully this will work.

Cheers

Name: IMGP2842.jpg
Views: 213
Size: 69.0 KB
Description: 3/32" balsa former to hold elevator control outer
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:23 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowta View Post
My D40 arrived on Friday. I'm building mine along the lines of Joe's build at the start of this thread and it seems from previous posts that the elevator pushrod installation causes some problems so I made a former to hold the pushrod outer in the proper place and at the correct curve. This has resulted in a smooth slop free connection.

After drilling the hole at the tail I threaded the cable inner thro' the hole and pushed it up to the wing seat opening then I threaded the outer onto the cable and pulled it back checking for free movement before gluing the outer in place. Some drops of cyno dropped towards the tail hold the former in place. Simple
That looks very nice and very simple. Excellent. Thankyou.
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:37 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Maybe the picture is misleading but that does not look like the correct curve that the pushrod needs to take. The end of the pushrod really needs to have at least a 45 degree angle if not steeper as it exits the fuse. Im concerned that your jig might promote an uneven bend once installed. When sliding the housing into the fuse from the rear it automatically hits the bottom of the fuse inside and creates the proper curve. Hope that helps.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
My first one ended up sticky, I'm not sure why - On the second one I paid very close attention to the slight natural curve of the pushrod and made my 90 deg bend for the elevator based on it. I kinda let the natural lie of the pushrod dictate how the servo was angled and used the balsa blocks to put it where it needed to be. That and a support block for the housing and the thick glue dripped down the length made it solid.

I waited until that was all done before I installed the antenna, but if you do it in that order, let it dry at least overnight or your antenna will be a permanent install.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2005
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Maybe the picture is misleading but that does not look like the correct curve that the pushrod needs to take. The end of the pushrod really needs to have at least a 45 degree angle if not steeper as it exits the fuse. Im concerned that your jig might promote an uneven bend once installed. When sliding the housing into the fuse from the rear it automatically hits the bottom of the fuse inside and creates the proper curve. Hope that helps.
Thanks Joe, once installed the natural curve actually continues to the outlet - in the photo the last inch or so of the housing is straight which is distorting the final angle. I get the 45deg with a guaranteed perfect bend
I read several posts where people were getting double neutrals and sticking cables and stuff - this way I've got a smooth slop free action

Cheers
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:31 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,586 Posts
I agree with Vern. the cable has a natural curve. Cool idea from mowta.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
I just got back from flying my flapped and non flapped D40's - What a blast these things are. Time to make some ballast!!!

-=Vern
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:29 AM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictarocks View Post
I just got back from flying my flapped and non flapped D40's - What a blast these things are. Time to make some ballast!!!

-=Vern
Where did you find wind today?
Dale Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Dale Thompson
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Vern makes his own wind!
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:20 PM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
LOL That's true!!! I was in the Benicia - I use this link to see where the wind is. I'm always looking for new spots with a combination of this wind map and google earth.

http://sfports.wr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/w...gi?x=122&y=295
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:02 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Buried this one deep!

Lost control of my D40 last week and it dove down to the bottom of the hill. This is what I found when I arrived at the crash site. No damage! Good thing we had all that rain a couple weeks ago.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:38 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
my kind of crash, so lucky

ha
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Lost control of my D40 last week and it dove down to the bottom of the hill. This is what I found when I arrived at the crash site. No damage! Good thing we had all that rain a couple weeks ago.
Yahoo Joe!
Nice one.
D40 Come and have a go when you think your 'ard enough!

Go Fast
George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420