HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Do you have any idea how much information there is here? Or how long it would take someone to read everything here?...

...So do you want more folks in the hobby, or is it a specialized club for experts only? And how exactly did those experts get to be experts?
At the risk of seeming trite, THE best suggestion for users of the site that are looking for more specific information is to really learn how to use the search engines available here. Once I did, finding information on the site as a whole or in those monster threads became fairly simple. I still do resort to asking questions if I don't find what I was looking for in a reasonable amount of time and helped immensely in navigating one of the largest discussion forums on the internet. It really is how I became an "expert" in navigating forums in general and how I maintain the ability to point others in the correct direction.

Eleven years of hanging around this place didn't hurt either.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:40 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,845 Posts
Quote:
It really is how I became an "expert" in navigating forums in general and how I maintain the ability to point others in the correct direction.
Maybe you could write a sticky on using the search function.

Seriously, I use the search function quite often, both here and of course, the one and only expert maker in any field........drum roll please...rat a tat tat......Google.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
I hear you Mark and I agree. Believe me I use the search feature liberally. But I also know that I'm gonna ask a few questions at some point that have been answered a million times. Either cause I don't have the time for a 15min search and read, or because when I do read I often find multiple view points and want a little more info from the resident experts.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2005
71 Posts
i would like to thank this forum for the useful information here. i had a turnigy nano tech battery that my charger toasted. some how it discharged 2 cells completely and left the 3rd cell almost done. through this topic i found how to bring it back by charging it on the NIMH setting and it worked, good as new !

thanks again .
Bullit is offline Find More Posts by Bullit
Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:33 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a puffy HobbyZone 1S 12C 150mAh LiPo battery here that reads 4.22V on my voltmeter.
It started to puff up while on the charger a week ago, did not put a load on it afterwards, and only now bothered to measure the voltage.

So here it is, sitting on my desk, very puffed up but not punctured/leaky. Can I save this little guy and if not, how do I dispose of it safely?
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:56 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
how do I dispose of it safely?
See Disposal Instructions in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...62&postcount=2
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Soldering !

[QUOTE=Raehm;16569298]Can anyone advise me on the correct and safe procedure for re-soldering a charger lead to a cell?

Thanks,[BE CAREFULL!!!! Don't let the leads touch! Learn from my mistake.]
krisko76651 is offline Find More Posts by krisko76651
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:27 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Are completely (down to zero volts) discharged cells still chemically volatile somehow? Apart from potentially poisoning yourself with Cobalt or Manganese, are there any risks when completely disassembling such a cell?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:39 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,845 Posts
Have never seen a reported incident of a discharged lipo burning/smoking/etc, however, there are risks in opening the cells as the electrolyte/solvent is not human friendly.
See the MSDS-
http://www.batteriesplus.com/msds/Li...SDS%200905.pdf

Why do you want to dissemble the cell?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:44 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Have never seen a reported incident of a discharged lipo burning/smoking/etc, however, there are risks in opening the cells as the electrolyte/solvent is not human friendly.
See the MSDS-
http://www.batteriesplus.com/msds/Li...SDS%200905.pdf

Why do you want to dissemble the cell?
Thanks hoppy!

I would like to salvage the micro sized plug to make a plug adapter. I prefer to disconnect the plug from the cell without exposing the electrolyte/chemicals but it might happen that the seal breaks and I like to know the risks.

Sandor
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:46 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,845 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem as the wires are usually connected to a printed circuit board.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:40 PM
United States, KS, Herington
Joined Jan 2008
26 Posts
Damaged 3s Lipo

I've read the "stickyed" threads on damaged Lipos, and got my 3 cell back to 3.02, 3.00, and 0.70.
Is there a way to charge the one cell without overcharging the other 2?

Thanks,

JSflyer
jsflyer is offline Find More Posts by jsflyer
Last edited by jsflyer; Apr 06, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,845 Posts
Make a charge cord that connects to the balance connector for only the low cell.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:04 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,309 Posts
Sandor, there aren't any boards in these little single cells. However if you carefully cut the plastic shield off you will find the plug has two short wires that solder to the cell tabs. You can:

a) desolder them. or
b) cut them off with side cutters.

Just do it one wire at a time and don't let the cell tabs/wires short out.

There is no need or likelihood of penetrating the cell itself.

You can also get the shield off the Turnigy cells which use hot glue by just heating the battery a bit with a hot air gun till it softens. May not work with batteries that use some other method of attaching the plastic shield.

Hope this is useful. I've also removed a couple of the plugs just by yanking the shield off, then cutting the wires but that's a bit drastic for the first time.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Shouldn't be a problem as the wires are usually connected to a printed circuit board.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 06, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Hi Guys, having some 5 year daily experience with Lipos I find in above posts that lot of you are playing with the "FIRE" trying to recover bad cells. The most importantly is you should not bring the voltage bellow 3.7V per cell if you want long lasting reliable power supply, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro