HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
Picture?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
USA, PA, Harleysville
Joined Aug 2010
107 Posts
thanks for putting this info together in one place. very helppful

my situation is a little different than the links you posted.

I have that parkzone ulta micro 4 battery charger. I had 4 charging at the time i bought my wildcat. then i left them sit in the charger for a month or two :|

My carger things they are charged. yet my blade msr and pz p-51 disagree. the life on them is very short. some are seconds. others a minute or so at WOT.

I plug them in. some charge solid for a few minutes then start to blink which means they are "almost full". my charger reconizes all them. they just have a very small winndow. VERY small. i tried charging with my hyperion charger with similar results. I keep discharging and recharging which may have helped a little. not much. Am i just screwed? these 1s batteries seem very delicate. im going to try a hyperion 130 and 160mah. maybe pz batteries just suck?
ecszone is offline Find More Posts by ecszone
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
They probably discharged while sitting in the charger. Many (most) chargers do not completely disconnect from the battery when turned off. They will continuously suck a little bit out of the pack when unpowered. I'm guessing you over-discharged them which can permanently damage them.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:34 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
hi and happy new year
i have a problem with a 11.1v 3 cell battery because the older charger walkera ga-002 was charging just 2cells.
so yesterday i got a new imax b6 , it says 4.20v for the 2 cells and 1.9v for the last one .
when try charging or balancing it goes 1mn than shows a full battery message , i tried discharging but its only the 1.9v cell that goes to 0.8v the others lows to 4.12v i couldn`t get lower voltage ...

what do you advise me to do? is it possible that the battery is dead ?

li po 4000mah 11.1v + imax b6
thanks for help
dready is offline Find More Posts by dready
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:36 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
The battery is probably a candidate for a 2-cell pack or the garbage. Cells under 2.5V for any length of time can be permanently damaged. The only thing you could try is charging the 1.9V cell up to 4.2V by charging that one through the balance tap by itself.

Beware! Damaged packs like this one can be unsafe. I'd treat this one especially like a fire ready to happen. If you do anything, I'd recommend doing it outside in a fire safe place and always storing it in a fire safe place.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Thanks for help Hopy , im going to buy a new one , best thing to do
dready is offline Find More Posts by dready
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:05 PM
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Nov 2010
133 Posts
Hey quick question for you guys, Im still new to lipos so how do you tell when a pack is dead because of its cycle life? Does that make sense? In other words if a battery has been properly cared for etc how do you tell if it has too many cycles?

Thanks,
Mad
Madman133 is offline Find More Posts by Madman133
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:55 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
Easy, when you are unhappy with the flight time and/or performance you are getting, it's dead.

The manufacturers say when it has lost 20% of it's capacity it's time for a new one.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:07 PM
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Nov 2010
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Easy, when you are unhappy with the flight time and/or performance you are getting, it's dead.

The manufacturers say when it has lost 20% of it's capacity it's time for a new one.
haha ok sweet thanks
Madman133 is offline Find More Posts by Madman133
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined May 2008
73 Posts
I shorted out a new 2200 3s battery soldering my deans. It is now a 2s. Is there anyway of taking it apart and fixing it or did I kill it?
Chocks is offline Find More Posts by Chocks
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
IMO, get a new battery. If the short was hard and long enough
to melt a tab, all the cells are probably damaged.
Remember, the short current went through all the cells, not just one.
The one with the open tab just happened to have the thinnest tab.

There are many threads on making a 3s into a 2s, try the search function.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=convert+3s
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined May 2008
73 Posts
lipo

Thanks Hoppy, I will look into how much I damaged each cell now that I know I have to take it apart.
Chocks is offline Find More Posts by Chocks
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Off-topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith View Post
Hoppy... Hoppy... Hoppy... tsk... tsk...

What makes you think they will pay any attention now? Lonely and lazy noobs will always start new threads on the subject even if 5 identical ones precede.

Like death and taxes...
Do you have any idea how much information there is here? Or how long it would take someone to read everything here?

The point is, yes some are not going to read anything; and others will read plenty. Either way, people are always going to have questions that someone has answered before. For the experts that don't mind answering the same questions week in and week out...I thank you, because I'm a "noob"; and I'm sure there will be another one to come next week. So do you want more folks in the hobby, or is it a specialized club for experts only? And how exactly did those experts get to be experts?
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,698 Posts
Quote:
Do you have any idea how much information there is here? Or how long it would take someone to read everything here?
If this question is for rich, don't expect an answer as he hasn't been on the forum in over 6 months.....

If it's for me, let me say:
The first post of the first reference pretty much says it all. No additional reading is required except by those who might be interested in problems others have had. Some people like to read everything and some just want the meat.

Over 3500 modelers have checked the sticky out so it must have some value. Maybe that's 3500 fewer times an expert would have had to have posted the same answer.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Hey Hoppy. It was for Rich. Yes, the topic has lot's of value. I was just pointing out that with so much information out there and in these forums that for a "noob" we can only learn so much at one time. I read a lot of stuff, but for somethings I just need the answer so that I can keep progressing. As I get certain things down, then I'll spend some time learning more about the stuff I just "wanted" answers to.

Thanks again to everyone here. A most helpful group!
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie