HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:48 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,722 Posts
Discussion
Lipo Storage Voltage and Dead Battery Information

About once a week (or oftener) someone posts a question on how, or whether to, revive an over discharged Lipo battery or What is the best storage voltage.
Here are some of the recent threads on that subject. I'm sure you will find an answer to your question in one of them.

Best Storage Voltage is 40-50% charged or about 3.78-3.85V/cell.

(Remember, overdischarged lipos are damaged goods and the safety precautions recommended for lipo packs should be followed. Using damaged packs is not recommended)
Over-discharging can cause internal damage to electrodes and current collectors
(i.e., dissolution of copper) , can lead to lithium plating if the cell is recharged
(particularly, if the cell is repeatedly over-discharged), and can ultimately lead to thermal runaway"

Consider this before doing any recovery attempts.

(HOW TO) Recovering over discharged lipos
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072324

dead lipo how to charge it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002464

Can I save this lipo?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072215
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Dec 10, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:18 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Hoppy... Hoppy... Hoppy... tsk... tsk...

What makes you think they will pay any attention now? Lonely and lazy noobs will always start new threads on the subject even if 5 identical ones precede.

Like death and taxes...
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Jul 07, 2009, 12:21 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,710 Posts
There will alway be people who will start a new thread even if the answer to their question is on the first page of this forum, but I think the stickys have helped A LOT. The "Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure Reports" has almost 1/3 million views. That's an average of about 147 views PER DAY. You have to think that many of those people found the answer to their questions, and as a result, did not start another thread.

I think that this thread would be a valuable sticky, and one specifically aimed at "What's the best charger" would be good too.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Jul 07, 2009, 12:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,557 Posts
deleted

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 12, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:12 AM
NL
Joined Nov 2009
304 Posts
Those other threads recommend charging around 0.3C until the battery is above "too low" threshold for the LIPO charger. I found a manual for a LIPO cell once (but I've since lost it), and it recommended charging "really slow". I think it mentioned 0.1C, but can't be sure. Anyway
- Charge really slowly as long as they are below 3.0V. (0.1C recommended)
- Damage is done by TIME below 3.0V. So recharge with this procedure ASAP when you notice you've left your battery on.
rewolff is offline Find More Posts by rewolff
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
Yeah...
arealy is offline Find More Posts by arealy
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:24 PM
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Dec 2003
222 Posts
What a Great Thread!

Just a couple of months back and plus being new to any type of elec. flying except for a GWS Tiger Moth that was all stock with no upgrades I had went on the battery section of the forums and ask if there was anyway at all I could save my Brand New Lipo that I had left plugged in to the plane by mistake and it drained the battery to the point to where it showed zero voltage. The answer I got was to cut the plugs off and disgard the new pack (3 cell) and that''s just what I did. Being my very first Lipo and brushless set-up that really hurt!! If I had read this post in time just maybe I could have saved the pack? It was just a 20.00 pack but just being a week old and now was told it was junk kinda hurt a little. I sure hated cutting those plugs off that new pack but that's what I was told to do and that's what I did. Thanks for this info and maybe next time it happens (Which I don't think it will) as now atleast I know and very careful about leaving one pluged up!! Now if I'm very careful just maybe I can save a pack or atleast have a chance...

Again, Thanks for the info and instrutions on how to do this! VERY good informantion that I will not forget and you can take that to the BANK!!

Best Regards,
Ben Morrow
Ben Morrow is offline Find More Posts by Ben Morrow
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:09 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,722 Posts
Ben,
Tossing a pack that had been under load for 1 week and was at 0V was not a bad thing to do.
Once the cells go below 2.5V the battery starts to undergo permanent damage which can not be undone.
Here's a reference on what happens inside the pack once the voltage/temp goes outside the safe operating window. http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithium_failures.htm
Running the pack below 2.5V/cell causes the copper anode to dissolve.

The best hope for "saving" cells is when the pack has gone just a little under the range where the charger won't turn on and it hasn't been at that low level for very long.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Dec 2003
222 Posts
Thanks hoppy.....

Post has been removed. Sorry hoppy!
Last edited by Ben Morrow; Oct 22, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Placed in wrong thread
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,722 Posts
I don't remmember recommending any units from 2dodrc but that's neither here nor there.
I suggest you post this question as a new thread in the forum, you'll probably get more responses.
Cell checkers will work with any manufacturers pack - the only "but" is that the connectors must match up.
For instance, Polyquest uses a 5 pin connector for 3s packs using pins 1,3,4,5 as I recall whereas Hobbyking and many others use a 4 pin connector in a 1,2,3,4 combo for 3 cells. TP uses a smaller 4 pin connector using pins 1,2,3,4. If all your packs match the pin wiring on your tester, no problem. Otherwise you'll need adapters to match them up.
Last edited by hoppy; Oct 22, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
USA, TN, Dickson
Joined Dec 2003
222 Posts
Sorry hoppy......

hoppy, I've made a mistake and placed this post in the wrong thread. I guess that would make me one of those once a week postings about how to bring a battery back to life after it's been drained dead. I'll try and copy and paste my post and place it where it should be under a thread that I started. But, however I have enjoyed reading your thread! It's just that my pack was way too far gone and dead for help.

Again, Sorry for placing this post under the wrong thread.

Best Regards,
Ben
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4 Posts
Thanks!! excellent information.
Lullaby of Naked is offline Find More Posts by Lullaby of Naked
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:02 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewolff View Post
Those other threads recommend charging around 0.3C until the battery is above "too low" threshold for the LIPO charger. I found a manual for a LIPO cell once (but I've since lost it), and it recommended charging "really slow". I think it mentioned 0.1C, but can't be sure. Anyway
- Charge really slowly as long as they are below 3.0V. (0.1C recommended)
- Damage is done by TIME below 3.0V. So recharge with this procedure ASAP when you notice you've left your battery on.
I've revived a few turnigy and Rhino packs by charging them at 100ma.

I sat the batteries in a lipo safe during the charge. i once upon a time tried to revive a lipo by charging it at 2c.......there was a fire.

100ma worked for me
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:18 AM
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
This is great battery info... i think there is almost impossible to charge a dead lipo, should try the info, tks
rcairplanes is offline Find More Posts by rcairplanes
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
816 Posts
re: re-soldering battery leads

Can anyone advise me on the correct and safe procedure for re-soldering a charger lead to a cell?

Thanks,
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build