HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:06 AM
Joined Dec 2004
85 Posts
Discussion
Zippy lipos. Any good?

I'm shopping for lipos for my e-revo. At the top of the spectrum it seems like MaxAmps is the way to go, but thats out of my price range by a long shot.

Zippy lipos seem to be an amazing deal. Specially the 2 cell, 5000mah packs. How are they so cheap? Are they decent and up to the task?
mstrcntrlprgrm is offline Find More Posts by mstrcntrlprgrm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:43 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
Yea, zippy are pretty good, and they're almost always underrated in specs, my zippy flightmax 2S1P 4000mah 25C is in fact just a bit under 28C and tops out at 4225mah.

You may also check out Rhino, they're probably made by same factory, pretty cheap as well.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Jul 03, 2009, 04:15 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
They are just as good if not better than Maxamps packs. I'm running a 5cell 4500 pack in my erevo conversion. By far the best bang for the buck. Problem is..everyone knows that these are the best bang for the buck, so they are always on backorder.
TheTick is online now Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Jul 03, 2009, 08:50 PM
Joined Dec 2004
85 Posts
Sounds like Zippy is the way to go. A quick look online and they seem to be back ordered everywhere. Any thoughts on what online retailer gets them in stock frequently?

Can't wait to get lipos in the e-revo, the nimhs I have stop the fun after about 10 minutes.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:07 AM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
hobbycity.com is the place to get them. Check out their zippy flightmax and turnigy packs. I've used both and the prices are unbelievable. You can either watch the site everyday and wait till they have them in stock or just place the order and keep your fingers crossed. If it takes longer than a week, they will refund your money.
TheTick is online now Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:50 AM
CNC Machinist
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
211 Posts
Yeah Agreed, We use alot of there batteries in electric planes, and out of all the brands we have bought (We have around 40 Lipos, from about 5 different brands) There the only ones we haven't had any trouble with SporadicIdiocy, If you are taking that much out of a 4000 mah battery, you are severely shortening its life. You really shouldn't be taking more than 3600 or there-abouts out of that battery.

Daniel
dmcke5 is offline Find More Posts by dmcke5
Old Jul 04, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I use them as well... they stack up very well to the Maxamps and some of the others out there... I won't say they are better, but they perform just as well...for the price they are hard to beat... especially for a basher pack... Keep checking hobbycity.. they come back in stock in a couple of days to a week, but they sell out very fast... I have 4 of the 2S5000mah flightmax running a Ruslter vxl.... I paid around $25 usd per pack...
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Jul 04, 2009, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2004
85 Posts
and the 2s 5000mah packs will fit in an e-revo?
Old Jul 04, 2009, 04:54 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcke5
Yeah Agreed, We use alot of there batteries in electric planes, and out of all the brands we have bought (We have around 40 Lipos, from about 5 different brands) There the only ones we haven't had any trouble with SporadicIdiocy, If you are taking that much out of a 4000 mah battery, you are severely shortening its life. You really shouldn't be taking more than 3600 or there-abouts out of that battery.

Daniel
Nah I meant they can charge to 4225mah and hold that charge.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:43 PM
CNC Machinist
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporadicIdiocy
Nah I meant they can charge to 4225mah and hold that charge.
Yes They charge to that amount, which means that's how much capacity you've taken out of the battery, which is too much for that battery. To get a good life out of your lipo you should never use up too the capacity. I.e, In my jet plane i have a 2200Mah lipo, I use about 2000Mah out of that battery every time i fly, and that battery has lasted a very long time. If i were to run it until it was completely flat, it would probably take about 2350Mah back into it, but would limit its life and ability to put out high current. I have killed a few lipo's by over discharging them, And i thought they were great batteries, taking in more than they were supposed to.

Daniel
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:42 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
I never run it flat, my ESC has LVC, and I always let the lipo cool for a good while before charging again.

It's just that these lipos are always underrated, it's never exactly 4000mah 25C as the package says, that's all.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I and into the same thing with my Flightmax packs... I have the LVC set to 3.3 volts and a separate lipo monitor that goes from green to red and sounds an audible alarm when the pack gets to 3.2 volts as well... If I run the batteries to the LVC, which I rarely do, it will charge to about 5300Mah... the voltage checked just after running is 3.35 volts at that point... I usually stop running at about 3.65 volts just because its about 30 minutes or so and I never want to push the batteries...

I haven't tried this with Maxamps or other high end batteries, but I have a feeling the results will be similiar...
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Jul 05, 2009, 08:39 AM
CNC Machinist
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
211 Posts
SporadicIdiocy, i'm not trying to start an argument, Just trying to save a fellow Rc'er the pain of buying new lipo's If your certain that you aren't damaging them then that's good enough for me.

Daniel
Old Jul 05, 2009, 03:59 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
It's alright, I was just trying to make things clear.

I learned how NOT to treat my lipos the hard way lol

my 3S1P flyermate 4500 has a dead cell because of overdischarging...now it's a 2S1P XD
Old Jul 08, 2009, 10:01 AM
Memphis
Joined Jun 2009
126 Posts
I have 4 of the Zippy 2s4000 hardpacks 1 Zippy 3s 5000 and the Accucell-6 charger and All of them work great. I run the 2s in my rustler and pede and my 3s in my FLM Rustler and Slash
rustytraxx is offline Find More Posts by rustytraxx