Jimmy
jimmymugurel is offline Find More Posts by jimmymugurel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:03 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Just finished moving so now I have to unpack and I can get started again. I have all the parts I've done so far moved intact and I have my foam supply in tact as well.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Well, It has been a VERY long time since I have posted an update here.

I am finishing another project (Aerodrome RC 52" Tummelisa) and would like to get going on this. I am back to 1/7 scale for starters and will be going with foam construction. I've learned a lot over the past couple years and hope to use this project as one to hone them in. I'm using enlarged plans from a fellow here on the forum. I have officially made the switch over to electric so the thread has been moved here. Thank you moderators.

I'll be using pink foamular in 2" thick sheets. The fuselage will be sandwiched and shaped using mainly rasping files. I will more than likely use fiberglass and WBPU for the covering. It will be sufficient for this size. No need for the full resin as it will be plenty strong without it.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I look forward to this one more. I've just fallen in love with the Swedish aircraft so this will be a nice addition to what I hope to be a complete hanager of my favorite Swedish airplanes (Saab B17, Saab J-21 among others).
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Well, Its been awhile but not dead here. I decided to make a park version just to work out some design bugs to scale up from there. Here is what I have so far. Plans are all enlarged and sitting waiting patiently for me to do something with them.

So I've basically made this at about 32 inch span. The fuse is two layers of 2" pink foam carved out. Spar is CF arrow shaft from walmart. Ply motor mount. Brown gorilla glue used with light weight spackle to fill the blemishes in. Airfoil is NACA 0014 at root and tip. No washout but has 1 degree of incidence at the root. Rudder and H-stab is reddiboard from the $ store with a bass spar. I should be getting a cowl from Park Flier plastics soon to cover up the nose. Eflite power 15 with a carved down 9x9 to 8x9 apc-e prop. It should work out quite well.
Last edited by Willsonman; Dec 29, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:53 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
More Progress

So here is where we stand. Just a bit more light sanding to finish up once the lw spackle dries. I just used a wooden dowl for the guns to make this the J-22B version. Cowl is from Park flyer plastics and is of great quality. Shape is nearly perfect and was the perfect length. Vents really add to the definition of this airplane. Made from 110# cardstock. Small wedge was cut out to place it and spackle all around to form the bump. Cool part is that I held up the entire plane with battery from one wing and it barely bends. CG is a bit forward of the 33% MAC but that is a good thing for a maiden. Should be able to fly once the weather is nicer. If she is a keeper then I will finish with a proper paint job. Lines on the cowl are for scoring later for panel lines and rivets.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
Park flyer flys!

So, I did taker her out in December and had a terrible crash resulting in a cracked cowl and 3 large pieces of foam. I pieced it all back together with gorilla glue and learned a few things. Throws. Never have the expo set too low with high rates on. I had pulled back on the stick after launch and she rolled right over into a stall and nosed right in. Prop. Have a good prop. I figured it was something that would work but really needed something larger.

I am happy to report that the flight was a success! I set to 3/4 throttle and let her rip right into the wind. She rolled a touch and leveling out was much easier with the expo set to 40%. Low rates on launch given the lesson learned last time. She got up a bit then started to stall and I felt she needed a bit more speed. I slowly ramped up the throttle to 100% and off she went! Straight as an arrow with no back torquing. Had it not been for the mild wind she would have been a hands-off flyer. I went up two mistakes and checked stall characteristics. Eased off the throttle and pulled back on the stick. Tipped very quickly. Once the throttle was advanced it was off again. She really likes to go fast! Once up to speed she is just a dream and is it fast. I'm using an electric APC-E style 9x6 from hobbyking and it has good results. I think a 9x9 would go faster for sure but I think I'll fly a couple more sorties before I go that way just to get a feel for her. I came in on the landing stretch after several rounds and had 1/2 throttle on. Once close to the ground I realized it really was fast but I did not want to rick the top stall. I kept it close to the ground and chopped the throttle back and she skidded right in. Only damage was an aileron pulled off the floppy disk hinges so some glue and we are back in business.

I have to say it was a huge pat on my back considering this is my first fully scratch-built plane from no plans. ore motivation to get this and other projects going.