SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:29 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,014 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Installing the Wicked EDF motor into the Wicked EDF fan unit

Here is a quick "how to" on getting the Wicked EDF motors installed into the Wicked 60mm EDF fan unit.

Step 1:

Here are the parts you will use from the EDF unit. The housing, the rotor (either 3 blade or 5 blade), the spinner, the 3mm adapter with washer and nut, spinner screw, and the two mounting screws included with the Wicked EDF motor. The other items are not needed for the Wicked EDF motor.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:47 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,014 Posts
Instead of cutting a slot in one spot per these instruction, you can remove the entire back lip instead. The choice is up to you.

Step 2:
There are two sets of mounting holes on the EDF unit and two sets of threaded holes on the front of the motor. You want the inner set of holes on the motor and the outer set of holes on the EDF housing.

Step 3:
Push the motor into the EDF housing to line up the holes. At this point you may find that the wires on the motor are touching the back of the motor housing. If that is the case then we need to cut a small notch in the back with an X-acto. Steps 4 through 7 will show how to do this.

Step 4:
With the mounting holes lined up in the front as close as you can get, turn the unit upside down and set on the table. This will show you where the notch for the wires needs to but cut.

Step 5:
Mark the location just outside of the wires with a marker, then use an X-acto knife or single edge razor blade to cut through the thin section of the plastic. You only need to go down about 2mm.

Step 6:
Use the X-acto and and score the plastic between the two cuts you just made.

Step 7:
Use a pair of pliers and bend the plastic and it will come right off.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; May 07, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:56 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,014 Posts
Step 8:
Install the 3mm adapter onto the motor shaft by tightening the set screws. Please make sure you use the 3mm and not the 3.17mm adapter (1/8"). If you use the wrong one the rotor will wobble and vibrate badly. You want the adapter to be about ~3mm from the front of the motor.

Step 9:
Insert the motor into the EDF housing and tighten the two black mounting screws.

Step 10:
Place the rotor onto the adapter then the washer then the nut and tighten down. Not spin the rotor with your hand to make sure it moves freely. You may need to fine tune the position of the adapter on the motor shaft or the motor position to get equal clearance on all the blades.

Step 11:
Install the spinner then tighten the small spinner screw down to hold the spinner on.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jun 30, 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,014 Posts
Tip:

One thing I do to help me balance a fan is to mark the spinner location. I then run the fan and if needed rotate the spinner to get the best location. A small mark lets you know where you started. Once balanced I then mark the new spot with a different color or rub off the old mark. This way if I ever take off the spinner, I know where to place the spinner again. If rotating the spinner does not get the vibrations out, then I cut small squares of black electrical tape, about 1/4" square. Then I put one on the inside of the spinner then test run to find the best spot. Then mark the spinner position again.

Hope this helps!

Don
RCG Plus Member