Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:43 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Build Log
First scale build- Zogling SG 35 1/3 scale

Well the plans and laser cut rib set arrived today for my first scale build. As you can see in the title I chose SG 35 Zogling for my first scale build. After seeing the size of the plans, my girlfriend still in not convinced that I won't be climbing in the finished model and taking to the air.

The rib set from Jim at Vintage Sailplaner is perfect! I haven't seen ribs of this quality for a long time. I'll be working up a materials list for the remaining wood required for the build as well as the needed hardware. Once I have a bill of materials written up I'll post it here along with the costs. I'm doing this so others will have an idea of what it will cost to build this kit should they decide they want to give it a try.

For now, here are a couple of pictures of the plans and rib set as well as a picture of what the finished model should look like. I will be taking a lot of pictures and doing as complete a write-up on the build as I can.

I'm sure that I'm going to have to pick some of the other members brains here when it comes to sourcing some of the hardware as I'm never had to track some of this stuff down before.

Stay tuned ladies and gentlemen!!! This is going to be a fun ride!

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
I love this old stuff.

Should be a lot of fun on a day with good thermals.

Or you can get a Shetland pony to pull it back up the slope just like they did at the Wasserkuppe back at the dawn of glider flying.

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Nothing wrong with glass slippers either but like violins, it takes an expert to tell the difference between an Amati and a Strad. All them white torpedos look the same. (I want one anyway, but don't tell anyone)

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
After looking over the plans I've decided that it's going to be much easier for me to cut the needed spruce myself instead of trying to find it in the required sizes. I've located a source of FAA certified aircraft Spruce up in Peachtree City that seems to have good prices. By purchasing a nice 6 foot Spruce "log" I will be able to make all the spars and fuselage frame parts as single pieces instead of having to splice the stock to get the needed lengths.

I know that not everyone has a nice table saw to be able to do this kind of work with, but if you do, I've figured out that you can save a lot of money by cutting your own spars. Since the larger sizes of spruce required are not something that the LHS is likely to have in stock this is the easiest way to go.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning up the shop and trying to get some other projects finished up so I can get the room I'm going to be needing for this build. I'm lucky in that I have more than enough bench space to be able to build both wing halves at the same time. I just have to re-arrange some things to be able to do so is all.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 06:56 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
I love this old stuff.

Should be a lot of fun on a day with good thermals.

Or you can get a Shetland pony to pull it back up the slope just like they did at the Wasserkuppe back at the dawn of glider flying.

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Nothing wrong with glass slippers either but like violins, it takes an expert to tell the difference between an Amati and a Strad. All them white torpedos look the same. (I want one anyway, but don't tell anyone)

Pete

They still do that at the Wasserkuppe on special events, i seen it there twice and flew from there once when i was with the luftsport. very cool place with lots of history. ill be following this thread on here and flying giants.
mike

ps, postcard and wasserkuppe fleger patch i got from the sailplane musium there, didnt have digital camera then..sadly.
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Jul 03, 2009, 10:12 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Tuning in!
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:21 AM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
SG35 Zogling 1/3 scale

Jeff,
Please continue. I've sent a note to Jim to get a set of plans and ribs (and what ever else he sells for the glider. I've been thinking about such a build for a couple of years. Two things have kept me from starting. Maybe someone can help me understand--1) issues with tow rope attachment locations--because the "fuse" is so tall relative to the CG of the wing, and 2) how well will the model thermal? The full-size primary gliders were designed mostly for very short hops after coming off the tow rope (L/D was very small). I was thinking about altering the airfoil to try and "improve" performance---thoughts?

Larry
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:12 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
With such a limited aspect ratio and all those flying wires as well as a non-aerodynamic pilot the maximum L/D is never going to be great. As you put the speed up it isn't going to get better either!
Even so, with a low wing loading it should still thermal and ridge soar fine although trying to punch into a headwind might be a millitad frustrating .

Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jul 04, 2009, 07:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
During my conversations with Jim he brought up a couple of points. First, the slope performance is not as good as you'd expect. Second the thermal performance is actually better that the design would imply. Granted it's not a glass slipper by any means, but it will thermal well if the lift is good.

This is the second version of the plans. The main changes were to the airfoil which was changed to an eppler 214 with undercamber instead of the flat bottom foil that was used on the first version. I can see no detail on the plans calling out any dihedral angle on the wings so I'd imagine it can be a little touchy in flight at times. That's something I need to discuss with Jim when I get a chance. I think it would be easy to add a couple of degrees of dihedral to increase the stability without hurting the flight characteristics too badly. It would help on a tow launch if nothing else.

Larry:
I'd say go for it! Order up the rib set and plans. I'd be more than glad to cut you up the required spruce while I'm doing my own. Only charge you for actual wood and shipping. I've tried finding the required sizes on the web and have struck out left and right. The balsa can be had but some sections will require splicing. I don't mind splicing balsa but refuse to splice spruce. I've also found a source for the 1/3 scale pilot figure. It's in Australia but I have some connections down in Oz that can help us get them.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 08:21 AM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
Sg35

Jeff,

Thanks for the offer. I have a fairly complete woodworking shop and routinely cut my own materials, so that is what I would normally do anyway. You might also find a router table useful for making roundover or 45 degree edges on leading edges of control surfaces. Using a router really lets you use nice hard wood (or hard blasa) for leading edges that won't get dinged up the first time something bangs into it.

Larry
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Jul 05, 2009, 10:52 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Hey Larry, Like you I have a pretty complete shop to include a router table. To be honest I couldn't do 1/2 my work without a router table. To me a router is the first item on the infamous "Must have" list. So much you can do with them. Second item would be my bench belt/disk sander.

I had to at least offer to cut the stock for you. Wouldn't feel right trying to get you to join in on the build if you didn't have access to the right size wood. The offer stands for anyone that wants to build the Zogling. The large spruce parts are hard to find pre-made so I'm going to offer them to others that can't cut their own stock
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:38 AM
Horned one
Vigo, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
759 Posts
May I contribute a video of an SG38 sloping to get an idea of its flight characteristics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=ES&hl=es&v=Fx6eykEx-fg

Best of luck with your project!
zero-zero is offline Find More Posts by zero-zero
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Real nice video Zero-Zero. Thanks for posting it.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
During my conversations with Jim he brought up a couple of points. First, the slope performance is not as good as you'd expect. Second the thermal performance is actually better that the design would imply. Granted it's not a glass slipper by any means, but it will thermal well if the lift is good.

This is the second version of the plans. The main changes were to the airfoil which was changed to an eppler 214 with undercamber instead of the flat bottom foil that was used on the first version. I can see no detail on the plans calling out any dihedral angle on the wings so I'd imagine it can be a little touchy in flight at times. That's something I need to discuss with Jim when I get a chance. I think it would be easy to add a couple of degrees of dihedral to increase the stability without hurting the flight characteristics too badly. It would help on a tow launch if nothing else.

Larry:
I'd say go for it! Order up the rib set and plans. I'd be more than glad to cut you up the required spruce while I'm doing my own. Only charge you for actual wood and shipping. I've tried finding the required sizes on the web and have struck out left and right. The balsa can be had but some sections will require splicing. I don't mind splicing balsa but refuse to splice spruce. I've also found a source for the 1/3 scale pilot figure. It's in Australia but I have some connections down in Oz that can help us get them.
Yea! Your off and ripping!
Actually many of these aircraft did not have much dihedral (or any). But are interesting to rig and could be (were) tweaked by turnbuckle adjustments, including slight wing bow. I doubt the craft will get twitchy, but certainly will snap over into a spin ....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show.
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:08 AM
Joined Apr 2004
355 Posts
The US aircraft wood bible

.... drum roll, trumpet flare:

...."The one, The Only, often talked about, usually lost to memory, but never forgotten... the ONE,,ah
The TWO BOOK(s) you gotta' have..."
Aphorism's Dream is offline Find More Posts by Aphorism's Dream
Last edited by Thermic Trio; Jul 14, 2009 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added file
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:14 PM
Clinton Twp. Mi.
Joined Jul 2009
17 Posts
First scale build

I have downloaded the 1/5 scale drawings of the "38"
and I am considering it as my first scale ship, but have
that may sound dumb to you but was wondering about
the gusset plates that are located through out the
air frame and flying surfaces, as to whether they are placed
on the frame or are inset into the frames.

Dave
rcoeng is offline Find More Posts by rcoeng