HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:11 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Build Log
Pat Builds a 1/4 scale SPAD XIII

As I mentioned in my Bison thread, after the good fortune of winning a kit from Balsa USA, choosing ONE is not easy.
"If Pat really wants help from the minions, I'd have trouble narrowing it down to one!" - exactly James - many folk seem to have a bunch of them on their shelves!

Firstly, I'd want to electrify it - not so difficult now days but an interesting exercise would be lightening it a little. Turning it into a Rake or Tritle design

The heavier kits - SE5a, SPAD XIII and DVII need more grunt hence expense but any of the rest should be simple. The Nieuports and Pup are straightforward builds and apparently fly well.

The DVII offers most scope for detailing (that engine) but I have to admit, the Nieuport 28 is a nice looking airplane. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a DR1 yet but is smaller size is appealing - same with the Nieuport 11 Bebe. The N28 was only used by the US but has a rather nice colour scheme. Any comments on the type as a model? Short nose, long tail moment etc....

The N17 is already 'electric ready' and is a newer design kit and could be modded to N 17 bis and others.

So a dilemma Too much choice.

Any more opinions? I'll do a sloooowww build thread here just for fun (and appreciation)

Cheers

Pat (and the Gnomes)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Apr 12, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:31 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,874 Posts
Pat,

I for one would go all out....1/4 Scale De Haviland DH-4

looks like it would be easy to electrify, just make the entire engine cover your battery hatch.

Cheers,
Steve
steve1814 is offline Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Fokker DVII
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Gotta give my nod for the Nieuport 17.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Some of the BalsaUSA kits have been somewhat "massaged" in order to make them better flying. I think the Nieuport 28 is reasonably accurate. Yes, it's been done, but unless your field is over-run with N.28s (!), that would be the one I'd choose.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Cogitating on your ruminating, Pat, I'm beginning to lean toward the Pup or the N17. My only thoughts against the Nieuports (at least the 11 & 17) would be those "delicate" lower wings and your flying field! Other than that, the Nieuports would be worth a shot. As for engine detailing, how 'bout tricking out those rotaries and have them spin like real?

I do have a liking for the DH-4, and if I were to do one, I'd try to duplicate one of those modified with Bellanca wings. However, it seems the motor may need to be bigger for the DH-4 than the above-mentioned craft. Like the DVII, of course, it may be easier to balance compared to the short-nosed rotary-powered types!

So, it looks like I narrowed down my "picks" to two. I think.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:44 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
Since you've already got several elves and one grumpy French Gnome, put the Gnome to work with the Nieuport! And here's a nice, HEAVY motor you could use to balance that short nose - flown at about 10% power. http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...r/A7050-6.html

Geoff's deux centime's worth
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
My preferences

SPAD XIII
Bristol M1C
Nieuport 28
Morane-Saulnier AI

In that order.

portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:35 PM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
Nieuport ! C'est tres elegantish.
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,643 Posts
Congrats on the lucky win!

That is a tough choice. I'm might be partial to the N17, especially since it is a newer kit and if it has an electric option available. Though I'd be tempted to use a gas engine. (Can you tell I've also thought about a big biplane from these guys?)

Here's a utube which shows how "easy" a build it is.

Nieuport 17 1/4 scale (0 min 53 sec)

Look forward to vicariously following along with whatever you choose. My big biplane will have to wait a little longer....

-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
Forgot, start saving your pennies for the batteries
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:16 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Forgot, start saving your pennies for the batteries
Hehe! How about some Leyden jars? (okay, maybe that's not quite realistic...)

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2005
674 Posts
Pat, I'd consider the newer N.17 but convert it to a N.27 & you could choose between French, British, Italian or USAS colors. :-()

Dale
Ascolta is offline Find More Posts by Ascolta
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:40 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Well one good thing at least...Pat won't be covering THIS one in Litespan; I might get the chance to buy a few packs of cream now the coast is clear Solartex would be good for this size model but I shudder at the cost!

DVII is the one for detail and colour schemes, but if it's a solid flyer that's wanted then the Pup is hard to beat at any size.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,603 Posts
If it were MY choice...

Always a favorite of mine, and you needn't spend the rest of your life painting 'lozenges' for some color schemes...

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor