HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2007
178 Posts
Discussion
REAL homebrew DIY OSD - Check it out!

I have just been getting started with some DIY electronics stuff, and specifically have begun developing a DIY RC tx / rx using off the shelf components.

I am also interested in FPV - so naturally I have been looking at OSD systems. I don't have the funds to buy one right now, but would like to sometime.

Anyhow, one of the popular electronic parts vendors (for hobbyists) just introduced this new part in their catalog that I am quite interested in:
MAX osd breakout board

DIY OSD anyone?

Just as I was getting ready to send my first PCB into fab (for the DIY RX) - this new gem comes out!

Now I am going to need a lot more sensors
jafoca is offline Find More Posts by jafoca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
80 Posts
The Sparkfun-board seems like a good idea to use for a prototype, but if you intend to get a factory made PCB for your OSD, why use the break out board anyway? It's pretty bulky, and RCA-connectors are not very well suited for FPV use (too big and heavy). There's also very few components on the PCB, so it's pretty easy to add this to your OSD-PCB if you have some SMD experience.

And if you are planning to do this to save money, I would just stop right now if I were you Buying e.g. remzibi's OSD would be cheaper in the end.

At last, don't get me wrong. I definitely think you should give it a try. DIY electronics are a lot of fun, so there are tons of reasons why you should do it, just don't do it for the reasons I've mentioned
jonpet55 is offline Find More Posts by jonpet55
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
Joined Jun 2007
178 Posts
Yep

Firstly, I don't have SMT soldering experience, so the idea of soldering that MAX chip is way beyond my capability. Also don't have much PCB experience either, currently designing my first for this project, a simple micro-> servo breakout board.

For saving money - again, not really the goal. I want to interface it with my own RX, Remzibi's setup does not allow for that kind of control - i would love if any of the OSD systems were open for more hacking....

Also - should be possible to swap the rca's for something else to reduce weight - no?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:09 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,820 Posts
If you haven't already, check out the "Poor man's OSD"

You can get one for about $120 and they are fairly customizable, and if you want you can reprogram the micro on there do do what you want. Though I'm not sure how much of the source code and board schematic are made available.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921467
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2004
80 Posts
Seems like you are fully aware of the advantages of a DIY OSD. That's just why I went that way as well. It is really great being able to change the code or hardware when you need some special functionality.

And yes, swapping the RCA connectors is a simple job
jonpet55 is offline Find More Posts by jonpet55
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2007
178 Posts
If any of the other OSD's were open source or at least open API I would gladly go with one of those.

I am doing the DIY R/C system for fun, and to expand functionality, so the most important thing for me is to get RSSI on my OSD so I can see how well my radios are doing. None of the commercial systems give any indication for how I would do this...

In fact it seems like the systems that _do_ support RSSI at all can only do it with certain radio systems (Spektrum, certain RX only too...)

I really wish the Remzibi was open source....
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:32 PM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafoca
..I really wish the Remzibi was open source....

It will sooner or later - be patient .
remzibi is offline Find More Posts by remzibi
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:39 PM
Joined Jun 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remzibi
It will sooner or later - be patient .
Enough Said
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
Certified Power Juicer
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafoca
I really wish the Remzibi was open source....
I second that
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FlyFly Hobby ASW28