HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2003, 08:29 PM
West Chester Ohio
Joined Mar 2003
15 Posts
TMM-18-3ph Brushless Speed Control

I am looking at the NES Acrophat aircraft with a MP Jet Brushless motor. It shows that the ESC to use is the TMM-18-3ph brushless, sensorless speed control.

This is 3x the cost of a normal ESC -- is this type of ESC required for a brushless motor? Is the performance of brushless v. standard electric motor worth the cost difference?

Still learning. Thanks.
nelsonjo1 is offline Find More Posts by nelsonjo1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2003, 08:40 PM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Brushless motors require brushless ESCs. There is no way around it.

As for being worth it, that's up to you. I personally have sold all my brushled motors and replaced them with brushless. It can be expensive, but was worth it to me.

Performance is a bit better than high-end brushed motors (Astroflight, Velkom, etc.) as there is no loss due to brush friction. Performance is MUCH better than the can motors (Speed 400, 480, 500, 600, etc.). Bruchless motors can be used direct drive with few cells and geared with many cells. That means more versitility.

What I like most is there is no maintainence required. So long as you don't bend a shaft, or otherwise abuse the motor, it'll work practicly forever.
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Apr 02, 2003, 09:12 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
.. but the TMM18 should not be three times the cost of a comparable 20A brushed ESC? I paid $45 for mine. The last time I bought a quality brushed ESC it was $30 (pixie 7). That's not much difference.
I like the TMM as it doesn't arm until you move the throttle from idle to max power and hold for a second, then back to idle. The Castle stuff is hard to beat, however, for size, weight and features..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 03, 2003, 07:46 PM
West Chester Ohio
Joined Mar 2003
15 Posts
Purchase TMM-18-3ph

Do you have info on where you purchased the TMM-18-3ph? The one at Northeast Sailplane is $60+. Thanks.
nelsonjo1 is offline Find More Posts by nelsonjo1
Old Apr 03, 2003, 08:47 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,592 Posts
I have one of the acrophat/brushless combos,its a very nice package,I use 8 cell HE battries in it ,i get from 8 to 11 minutes,A while back i put the brushless in my gws p-51,now it flies real good! And only 1.5 oz heaver,i got mine from Sal at nesailplanes,Yes its a bit more than a non brushless,but to me well worth it,Dennis
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Apr 04, 2003, 12:33 AM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
I sell the TMM-183ph controller here in New Zealand and $45 is close to cost price so I would be suprised if you could find it for sale at that price.

Heather

Watts Up Hobbies
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather