Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
Discussion
cartoon spitfire

Hello all,

I came up with an idea for a cartoon spitfire for a quick build. I looked into the thread about "fatties" and came up with a sketch.

Here is what i have so far and it is not guaranteed to fly so it will be interesting for me to say the least. I hope you guys can get some enjoyment from my attempts at getting this thing right, I sure will. Anywhoo any comments will be awesome.

Dave
may-day is offline Find More Posts by may-day
Last edited by may-day; Jun 29, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:17 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Looking good, Dave. Spitfires are cool planes.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:18 AM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
I built a new wing out of cell foam 88 and man what a difference. got the auw to 3 oz without tail feathers and a few tidbits. I am hoping to have no more than 4.5 oz auw.

Pics to follow after a few more additions.

I was thinking about 28 to 30% cg. I guess this would be as good a place to start as any unless anyone can offer some other advice

thanks

Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Looking good.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
an update, I will probably have a canopy and spinner done later tomorrow. later tonight i would like to have the ailerons all buttoned up and the kfm upper airfoil skin on.

will start sanding the fuse and control surfaces tomorow.
Last edited by may-day; Jun 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Do the torqure rods, going through the horn holes like this, work out well? Wouldn't they pull on the torque rods as the horns turn? I'm unsure how they work this way. Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
I have only seen this done before.This is my first attempt at it Rusty. One thing i have noticed is that all portons of the torque rod and rod sleeve need to be tight without slop. Any motion other than clean forward and back motion causes the ailerons to throw different degrees. If i do not like it i will go with a traditional pushrod method.

If anyone is interested I can have some cheapo plans drawn up from microsoft paint with basic dimensions.

more pics and updates later.
Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:36 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I figure, with the Spitfire being a popular plane, some will ask for plans.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:57 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
may-day

If you do plans I would help you out and make some vectored drawings from them. I have done this for Rusty a time or two before.

Larry
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:28 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,933 Posts
relative to the aileron wires in the control horns, I've been considering that too, will be interesting to see how it works for you. Might try "countersinking" the holes so that the wire can easily pivot in the hole, rather than trying to bend, unless you already have some slop in the fit.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
Springer- countersinking is a great idea. I willbreak out my dremel tool. Ive been looking for a reason

Larry- I would appreciate that enourmously. Please allow me to get to a more final version before using your skills.

I will have some more posted pictures of progress later this evening. Thanks for your input and ideas fellas.

Dave
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:11 PM
A&P Mechanic
San Antonio
Joined Mar 2005
326 Posts
So after a few days off of building i have came back with a few ideas. I have the aircraft in testbed position. It flew across the backyard under power nice and straight with no rudder, no aileron, only elevator and throttle. I had noticed a few places i could have made lighter and better uses of bulkheads and such.

Version 2 is fully under way even though version 1 isnt finished. I dont think version 1 ever will be finished but will be retired to hang from my sons room ceiling.

I have a few pictures but its only of the plans on the foam with no cuts. The wing saddle will be redisigned to accomidate built up formers. I have not decided on how to attach the wings yet but it will either be bamboo skewers and rubber bands or popsicle sticks and magnets.

I am happy to have seen version 1 fly across the backyard. It proved that the airframe is capable of flight in its present configuration. The 10 gram hobbyking motor appears to have the grunt to pull this plane. I have the turnigy 6 amp esc and the web site says not to run on 3 cells so i am only using a rhino 360 2 cell. I was worried that 7ish volts was enough and i guess it is. Once i have it fully maidened i guess ill be the judge of the ability of the 10 grammer.

Ill try to have a few more pics posted in the next day or so.

Thanks
Dave