HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:10 PM
Flying Extraordinaire
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined May 2006
69 Posts
Discussion
Horten 229 V3 EDF plans

I was watching the National Geographic Channel about Hitlers Horten 229 V3 that may have had stealth ability and did a search for plans of this aircraft here on RCgroups.com. I found several folks that had built one of these plans but no one that offered any plans for a smaller EDF version. Anyone know where I could find a set of plans to build one of these magnificent planes?

Thanks in advance
Fossil1977 is offline Find More Posts by Fossil1977
Last edited by Fossil1977; Jun 28, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:27 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
I have a set of plans by RC Model World by Chris Golds for A Horten IX with 68.5 inch span ands twin WeMoTec 480 fans. Plan MW 2668. Electric Flight International. Looks like a nice set of plans, although I have not built it yet.
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:42 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Is there any video of Chris Golds plane flying?

Thanks,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:42 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
411 Posts
If you want to build a Horten the best option would be Gary's kit

http://www.wingsontheweb.com/ho229/index.php

This is scale and has been well developed and can be seen flying in videos on Youtube

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
4 Posts
Fossil I saw that NG piece last night as well and I couldn't tear myself away from the tube I enjoyed that very much.

John thanks that for the link to that kit it looks very impressive
Stripe is offline Find More Posts by Stripe
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:48 PM
Flying Extraordinaire
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined May 2006
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright

This is scale and has been well developed and can be seen flying in videos on Youtube

John
Wow, that is great, I am going to definitely order a kit. I will start a build log when I begin to build this one. My only concern is that it would be nice to have a little smaller version. Maybe I will see about scaling it down.
Fossil1977 is offline Find More Posts by Fossil1977
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:23 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright

John
Yes, I know that Chris Golds' one is not so scale as Gary's. But it flies without external tubes. I do not like idea of thrust tubes.

Kostya
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
horten v229

hi, hope this helps its a plan for a horten v229 pss. soarer you could convert it to edf i surpose???

ive tield it too.....
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
Joined Jun 2007
230 Posts
@ Kostya,

also the Chris Golds' Horten needs tube extension, or minimum a little fin under the tail section.
It's just a matter of speed you are planning to go. As long as you are going like a park flyer, it will work without. I know no EDF Horten 229 V3 that will go safe without.

I have built 3 different Horten 229 V2 and V3, they all need at higher speed tube extension. And my Hortens are not from Gary. So the problem you will get with EDF thrust is not the wing profile. It may be the outer design of the Horten wing. Interesting, a real jet Horten will have less problems with airflow at the tail section.

We are almost testing 4 years to get quit of that tubes, but nothing helped until now......

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Gary's Horten flies with deflector tubes only. I'd sacrifice some scale truth in favor of absence of them. And his plane also will not come through my doorway. I'd like something in 50"-60" range.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Hello Heiner!
Did you try to lower wing loading even more? Looking at woodwork of all Hortens I'd not say they are lightly built.
Please clarify what you mean saying parkflyer speed. Am I correctly understanding that at high speed, say at dive, it doesn't suffer from DF thrust? If the plane would be lighter - it would allow to lower take off speed and EDF thrust needed.
I also bit messed up with all Horten models. Can you please summarize a list of all Horten models you know?
Thank you,
Kostya

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiner
@ Kostya,

also the Chris Golds' Horten needs tube extension, or minimum a little fin under the tail section.
It's just a matter of speed you are planning to go. As long as you are going like a park flyer, it will work without. I know no EDF Horten 229 V3 that will go safe without.

I have built 3 different Horten 229 V2 and V3, they all need at higher speed tube extension. And my Hortens are not from Gary. So the problem you will get with EDF thrust is not the wing profile. It may be the outer design of the Horten wing. Interesting, a real jet Horten will have less problems with airflow at the tail section.

We are almost testing 4 years to get quit of that tubes, but nothing helped until now......

Heiner
Old Jul 01, 2009, 04:56 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
wonder what the effects would be if one overscaled a tad and had by pass air around ducting to act as tubes?

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jul 01, 2009, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2007
230 Posts
I can't list them all, but I think there are 4 or 5 different design of HORTEN 229 V3 wings, all with the same problem. Without EDF-thrust you can dive even fast, no problem at all. Using EDF-thrust and going over 60 - 75 mph the problem will start ......

Use plastic tubes as an extension, then you will not see them during flight.

Additional information at rcscalebuilder.com

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Jul 01, 2009, 10:57 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Heiner, what are level and stall speeds for Go229?
What you can comment about Imel plans?

Thank you,
Kostya
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:45 AM
tedreiher
Australia, VIC, Sunshine North
Joined Jul 2012
13 Posts
I am building a Horten III Flying Wing glider from an English plan supplied by Nexus Plans,who seem to have gone out of business.
The glider has a wingspan of 131inches and has elevons, landing flaps and drag rudders.
For me it is proving to be both a challenging and stimulating build!
If anybody is interested I would welcome any input.
Regards
Edward(Ted) Reiher
tedreiher is offline Find More Posts by tedreiher