dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, VT, Shelburne
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe View Post
My plane is still in the box, waiting for vacation to start it.

for those needing some inspiration get your F/A-18 hornet fix here, some great photos for screen wallpaper

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=21
nice shots !!!
FLY_NAVY is offline Find More Posts by FLY_NAVY
Last edited by FLY_NAVY; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
So...

Z-Poxy as instructions say.. except after putting the FB cloth on you then put over an additional layer of polyester. Then when it's nice and dry you peel back the polyester. Result is sanding is much easier. Right?

FB cloth comes in very thin,medium, and thick. I imagine for this you want the thin stuff right? This is my 1st experience with FB. I'll practice on some scrap balsa before I start applying on wings and stuff. I think I got the general concepts down.

Also, I noted way back in the thread to use Hysol for Balsa to fuse areas. A while back the fuse was all fiberglass it seems. Now it appears they're moulded plastic. Glue choice still stands? Tamjets the only place to get that? I saw some comments about mixing FB with epoxy too.

Anyway, I'm finishing up another couple projects but I'm collecting knowledge and material to start this build. I think I still am missing a few points on the best gluing practices.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,357 Posts
Tamjets is where I buy Hysol too. Didn't find it anywhere else. Don't know why, as it is a Locktite product...

I used light (0.75) fiberglass cloth for the rudders and elevators, and heavy (2) for the wings.

The current fuse is made of plastic??? I don't know if that's good or bad...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Tamjets is where I buy Hysol too. Didn't find it anywhere else. Don't know why, as it is a Locktite product...

I used light (0.75) fiberglass cloth for the rudders and elevators, and heavy (2) for the wings.

The current fuse is made of plastic??? I don't know if that's good or bad...
Yeah, plastic it is.... so that's why I'm a little curious if Hysol is the correct solution still.

I'm thinking of heading back over to the LHS. About how much FB cloth did you require. Is a couple yd^2 enough to do the wings?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
That fuse is still epoxy it is finished a bit which looks plastic but its glass. Hysol will be fine regardless of the material, just make sure you rough up the bonding area and clean it with alcohol first!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,188 Posts
Other Hysol venders
http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/hysol-glue-p-113.html
http://www.mcmaster.com/#loctite-hysol/=jw60h2

Get the kit with the gun and a few extra long nozzles.

You can also use a good epoxy glue mixed with milled fiberglass if you dont want to get the hysol

Are you sure its plastic? From the outside it may look like that, but inside you should see fiberglass weave

You want finishing resin epoxy for glassing. Zpoxy or West systems work pretty well. You do not want standard epoxy glue.

I used 2 layers of the 3/4 glass on my wings and tail. Everyone has their favorite technique
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Good info. I'll look closer at the fuse. It may indeed be glass but just looked plastic. I have an older FB fuse kit and it's most definitely glass and this one looked a lot more like plastic. Could be I just didn't take a close enough look though.

There is a local store around here that carries Hysol too. An industrial supply outlet.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Post pics because I want to see this "plastic" That model is designed to handle a turbine, plastic would not cut it!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:54 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,188 Posts
The grey fuse does kinda look like plastic from the outside
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Yeah I inspected closer when I got home this evening. It's very plastic appearing but you can see the weave of the FB on the inside. Either way I still need to grab some Hysol.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Was reading the FB post again.. He used .56 for tail and .56-1.5 for wings. Only 1/2 oz stuff I found was from Hangar 9. The idea is to save weight with lighter and add more strength with heavier right? I'm thinking just using the .75 all around.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,188 Posts
Glass cloth

http://www.cstsales.com/sale.html
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Hey there you go. Good prices per yard. How many yards did you guys use?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe View Post
Any reason not to just go with the .6 oz all the way around? Perhaps a reason to go heavier on the wings? I'm thinking heavier cloth is better for moulding or strengthening parts but I'm not guessing the wings need that. But I see some are using heaving cloth there. Does it matter that much? Easier to finish one way or another?

EDIT: I reviewed the instructions actually. They do call for 1.5 oz on the wings.
Last edited by dennisjm; Oct 30, 2012 at 07:51 AM.