HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Kit order placed. Wonder what I've got myself into!
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
You got yourself into an awesome Jet!!!!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Yeah I'm excited. I went this way because I'd really like to do a good scale finish job on it and it seemed like a good kit to start with.

Anyway.... other than Hysol... anyone want to pipe in with a list of building supplies I'm going to need? I have a lot of learning to do about glassing wings/parts. I've done some pretty major balsa surgery in the past but always has been covered with Ultrakote or something.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,836 Posts
Read up on glassing. If you use 100% polyester fabiric as peel ply you can save a lot of weight and do less sanding.

This website is from one of the best turbine builders around.
http://terry_holston.tripod.com/id4.html

That will get you a light strong and good finish. I wish I read it before I built my old yellow F16....
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Other videos I watched don't use a peel ply layer. They just apply the glass cloth & resin, and then sand when dry. Does the additional cloth ease the sanding step? Give a smoother finish?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Other videos I watched don't use a peel ply layer. They just apply the glass cloth & resin, and then sand when dry. Does the additional cloth ease the sanding step? Give a smoother finish?
Peel ply method gives it a smooth surface without the sanding and without excess resin. So its faster better and lighter.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Sounds like a great idea.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Have you decided on a power system for it yet?
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Leaning toward dynamax from xps. Seems easiest since ducting is the right size and it is one of the cheaper alternatives. I'm open to suggestion though. I figure it'll take a while to build so no huge rush. Unless xps goes out of stock of their fans I guess.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
I like that power system. I have the first generation of it. It sounds really sweet! I checked, and the system appears to be in a "notify when back in stock" status, but try and reach Jim Drew (you will see him somewhere in this thread), who is with XPS. He is very helpful. Ask him when he will have it back in stock. That will help you decide.

I am working on two other planes right now, but expect to spent some time in the next couple of months finishing the F-18. All I have left is essentially to put the power system back in place. I would post pictures. I would recommend one thing (I don't remember who did it, but it's in this thread and I'm going to do that myself): cut the exhaust nozzles out so you have access from the back and can install the power system (plus get access to the elevator boxes) so much easier.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:01 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Yeah I guess I'll have to keep looking for the power system. I don't even have the kit yet though so I have lots of time to learn things before I really get serious
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:08 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
There are quite a few options now for this plane. I would suggest you put at least a 4,500W system there. Push the fan back as far as you can (all the way to the rear fan mount former) as this plane will end up being nose heavy.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Looks like tamjets still sells a drop in system. They sell the fan for $475 assembled. If you go that route and buy a motor how do you get it dynamically balanced?

Here is the surefilre winner ha ha:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21146
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
They do have a conversion kit for their TJ100 for this airplane (http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...4362dd2dbc08c9). However, you will be spending some $1,150 on that... Although, it does include the ESC as a complete kit. I would still try and contact Jim Drew from XPS.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,557 Posts
Yeah I already posted in the XPS forum. Maybe he's away for a couple days or something.