Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2005
627 Posts
Sean,

I am very impressed. How long have you been building for? Are you sure you are not a custom painter? If not, I am glad because you would give me too much competition. Now I know who I am going to bother on my next build. Keep up the great work! Shhheeeeewwww! I am hearing jet sounds again!

Build on,
Chris
konachris is offline Find More Posts by konachris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:40 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Thanks for the comps Chris. I'm certainly no custom painter...maybe custom masker. It's like 45 mins of masking, 5 mins of paint mixing and thinning, 30 seconds of spraying, and 5 mins of airbrush cleaning.

Can't wait to see something new out of your hanger...I miss your build posts.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:27 PM
Joined Oct 2005
627 Posts
Sean,

You got it! It’s all about the prep. Welcome to the custom paint world. I can’t tell you how much masking tape I used on my F-14. The only fun thing about custom painting is removing the paint masks to see what you have. What you have will catch a lot of attention on the field. Another good point about this paint scheme is that you will be able to see it in flight.

My next project (I hope) is the 136% version of JHH’s F-14. I will be looking for some advice from you as well on that build. You are definitely “Strictly Scale”.

Keep up the stellar work,
Chris
konachris is offline Find More Posts by konachris
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:51 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by konachris
Sean,

I can’t tell you how much masking tape I used on my F-14.
I guess when the weight of the masking tape, film, paper, etc weighs as much as the plane we are close to being done, right!?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:06 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale
Got the orange masked off and sprayed this morning.

I used 3M soft edge foam to mask off the orange stripes to get a softer edge. Even though I'm using an airbrush I didn't want to trust my freehand ability. ...oh, and you can only by this product by the box so I have 50m to use!

Pics 1 & 2: The 3M soft edge foam comes off the roll, cuts, and goes on the model very easily. I'm using the smallest of 3 sizes, and would recomend this product for anyone wishing to do a camo scheme.....
Neat product that 3M soft edge tape. In years gone by I made my living in auto body/paint. Did a couple of years doing custom work and painted vans. (late `70s') We used to get that soft edge by back masking and then rolling the masking tape back over itself to reveal the area that needed paint. Man have things come a long way now!

Thanks for posting your techniques. Your plane is looking great, keep up the fine work!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Greg,

Thanks for the comps. It's too bad the 3M foam doesn't come in a smaller qty...I think you get a lifetime supply in a box, for what we use it for.

Got a little of the black sprayed today...amazing how fast 2hrs goes by!

Pics 1 & 2: Masked the top black only. I was going to mask more but I want to use each black section to measure off the next one. Plus it keeps it less confusing this way. The yellow mask was cut by getstencils.com and I blended it into the rest with 3M fineline tape.

Pics 3 & 4: The black sprayed and the masking tape removed.

Pic 5: Close up of the maple leaf. I tried to tie the stem into the hatch latch to keep it looking symetric.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Looking great! And I'm also grateful for you posting your techniques and pics.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:42 PM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
strictlyscale

Your inspiring me to paint mine now..

What sort of spray gun do you use? Pics prefered.

What kind of paint do you use?

Do you apply a clear coat ?
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:05 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
972 Posts
Sean,

The F-18 is starting to look awesome!

I think you may have mentioned this before, but what diameter of the 3M tape do you use?

Thanks!

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
Sean,

The F-18 is starting to look awesome!

I think you may have mentioned this before, but what diameter of the 3M tape do you use?

Thanks!

Paul
Thanks Paul. It's 12mm dia.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2749987
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:46 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Warwick
strictlyscale

Your inspiring me to paint mine now..

What sort of spray gun do you use? Pics prefered.

What kind of paint do you use?

Do you apply a clear coat ?
Brett, you're inspiring me to fly mine!

I'll take some pics early the week, but I use a paasche VL dual action airbrush. At the moment i'm using the #5 needle and tip.

The paint is testors model master enamel, thinned about 25%. The yellow is actually a humbrol enamel as it was a better match.

I will go with a final clear as I'm adding some dry transfers and I think it gives the model a nice even sheen. It will proably be a flat/matte clear, but I may go with a satin as this was a demonstration model in the full size version. The overall finish on the real model was flat, however the brightly painted areas when originally painted had a semi-gloss finish.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:52 PM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
So you paint the whole plane using a Paasche VL airbrush?

Do you prefer enamel paint rather than acrylic and if so why?
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:19 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Quote:
So you paint the whole plane using a Paasche VL airbrush?
Yes, sound crazy? I find it actually uses less paint and I have a better control of the amount of paint I put on. I acutally painted a 1/5th scale (95" span) Ziroli Hellcat a number of years ago using the same method....that took some time!

Quote:
Do you prefer enamel paint rather than acrylic and if so why?
If just become comfortable with the enamels and how they cover, that I've never really spent much time with the acrylics. I have used the water based paints for weathering as I can really dillute them alot and wipe them on the model without affecting the enamel painted surface.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:54 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Well, I didn't get anything done on the weekend...my wife saw I was on a painting kick and found a couple projects around the house that needed painting.

Anyways, got back at it today.

My original plan was to paint the wing area light blue then mask off everything that was light blue and paint the gunship grey/white fade over it. However, when my mask came in the light blue part had already been 'picked' so I had to alter my strategy. Easy enough.

Pic 1: Masking off the fuse to cover what we have already painted. Exact location of this line is not critical as it gets covered by black later.

Pic 2: The light blue I sprayed earlier on the wing is masked over in preparation for the gunship grey.

Pic 3: On the stabs I decided to paint over the light blue with gunship grey, then go back later and mask off for the light blue.

Pic 4: Gunship grey sprayed on. Note again, the outer most edge is not critical at this point.

Pics 5 & 6: The area on the wings where the leafs are blends from white at the front to gunship grey about a third of the way back. This doesn't go all the way out, as the perimieter stripes and the maple leafs are a solid shade front to back. Misting on the white I get this faded look. Doesn't look like much here but it will once the other markings are added over it.
Last edited by strictlyscale; Sep 15, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
Next, the stabs are sprayed.

Pic 1: The gunship grey is sprayed top and bottom.

Pic 2: The light blue stripe is masked off and sprayed over the gunship grey. Here's the final look on the bottom. We still need to go back and spray the tip of the upper surface with medium grey (the bottom was sprayed light ghost grey earlier).