HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:57 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Here's a couple pics of the airframe ready for paint (finally!). I'm at 6 lb 13.0 oz. That includes all the painted parts, pilot, seat, dash, retracts (no struts), and includes nose steering servo. Will be interesting to see the weight of all the same parts in a couple weeks with color and clear are on.
Not planning on going crazy in the cockpit...just added more detail to the seat and add an instrument panel. We'll see if more is needed once the canopy is sized up...which by the way I picked up a new one as the one in my kit had 'yellowed', no pun intended.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:21 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Dude...
You must ship that to me in california
you don't like F-18's those old planes... you really should sell it to me

serious it's looking so nice.. can't wait to see that one done

Ron
Ron101 is online now Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 01, 2009, 06:47 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Thanks Ron. I'm looking forward to tackling the paint scheme. A little daunting, but if I can pull it off it should be pretty unique. Stay tuned.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:50 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
I'm tuned bud
Ron101 is online now Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 01, 2009, 10:00 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,630 Posts
http://www.aeroloft.com/precision%20...0transfers.htm

Item number 452 could make your life easier - I think it's sized for the twin version - but if it is, just ask and they will size it down for you.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 02, 2009, 12:23 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Great looking Bug.. The single YA was my first DF jet, I've got the bug to do another one and have a few 5s 4000mah 25c lipo's laying around, but not sure if these would work well in the bug or not... what do you all think?

Ohh, i got this email from cindy @ Aeroloft a few days ago, so u might find it usefull:

"Labor Day Sale, order any transfer set and receive 12% discount

Between August 31st and September 8th 2009"
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:49 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Guys, thanks for the input on the aeroloft transfers. Sadly, this was my first route (I suspect that picture is of my set as that wasn't on there before I purchased) but after getting them I found the quality to be very low. Depspite sending full size prints of the plans, markings and a CD full of photos. I'll post some pictures later to show you what I mean. There are a couple that I can proably use but most are horrible. In the past I've had great luck with GetStencils.com and have been working with them to make a useable set of stencils and transfers....for half the price and way better quality! In fact Aeroloft refused to send me proofs to review for accuracy and size...they just kept telling me it was what I needed. Guess that should have been my red flag.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:40 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Here are some pictures of the items I feel I can be used from the Aeroloft set. The small stencil set is just a 'generic' set, despite sending copies of the actual stencils on this aircraft. I may use some of them, but have also had GetStencils.com make up a more accurate set. Those are being printed and will post pics once they arrive.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:51 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Here is some examples of the other items provide which I find of poor quality (in my opinion, granted) based on the price they were purchased for.

If you look at the Canadian maple leaf insignia, you can clearly see it's inaccuracy. This would be better off painted and I'll do that using paint stencils cut by GetStencils.com. Attached is a picture of how this turned out on my Mustang, all be it of larger size and different style, but you can see the 'crispnesss' of the painted version.

Also attached is a couple other pictures of a few of the Canada graphics (note the lack of detail on the maple leafs in each one) as well as one of the 'cougar' logo...can you make it out??

I'll post pics when i get into my model of these same items as I apply them.

I usually make it a rule not to post vendor information like this, but I wanted to warn you if you do use Aeroloft for dry transfers of any complexity. For general lettering and small nomenclature they are fine, but for anything of more detail I'd insist you see proofs before purchasing.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:55 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Another item that Aeroloft did well was the large hornet on the tail fins. Attached is a picture of thos transfers. This would certainly save a lot of time during painting....but maybe I'm looking for the challenge. Attached is the paint mask I'll be using and spraying each color individually (if it shows up in the picture). While it's more work, it should ensure that my colors match well. We'll see how it turns out....if it doesn't I always have this transfer to fall back on.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 11:34 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
StrictlyScale,
Glad to see that i'm not the only one who thought the art-work on their stencil package was "sub-par". I wasn't expecting extremely detailed nomenclature for the price i paid, but i was expecting somewhat better than i got..

I've never heard of getstencils.com i'll have to look into them for the nomenclature on my 1/7 F-14 project..

You'll love the F-18 single, its a great flying plane. Your build is reaaally making me want to get another to do up as an EDF..
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:07 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
You're very meticulous in your detail work. Like i said before you do scale the way scale is supposed to be done. I can't wait to see your painted Hornet, you have the skills to get it done right. I chose the easy way out with a "Brown NSAWC Aggressor" scheme, easy to hide my flaws with the airbrush.

Where did you get the pilot/cockpit kit? Is it the cockpit kit from Yellow? Whichever one it is, it looks great and would look good in my Jet too.

The LEX fence looks awesome too, hope it's not too much trouble to cast. And please let me know what a set will cost me, I'm very happy to pay for them.

As far as graphics/stencils/maskings/dry transfers go, my limited dealings with ProMark and Taylor Made has me sold on their products, I like the detail although not the cheapest, they are in my opinion the best looking. ProMark is actual paint, and Taylor Made is waterslide, so two different methods of applying.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Sep 02, 2009, 03:58 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,630 Posts
Sean,
Sorry to hear of the problems with the decals - but your right - they are not that great.

I had nothing but a great experiance from Cal-Graphx:
http://www.cal-grafx.com/

For my HET F-18. I'm doing the AETE scheme. They did a combo of dry transfers and vinal. They also do paint masks. They sent me proofs and did everything to my specs - even when I had them correct some of the nomenclature a few time. I'm suprised they could shrink it down that small.

All in all - I use cal-grapgx for all my projects. Their prices for the transfer set were very reasonable too. As they had to custom make them for me it was a little more expensive - but now anyone can get them a little cheaper as they just run them off.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:04 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Mark,
I saw you post the scheme you chose. It looks pretty cool and has it's own level of complexity that you'll be proud of once completed. I certainly wouldn't call it 'the easy way out'. ;-)
There really isn't any detail in the yellow kit with regards to a cockpit. I used a seat and panel from a 'just the pits' cockpit. http://billr.org/just-the-pits/f18pit1.asp I ordered it without the pilot and stick and unpainted. It was cheaper than the post price. The pilot is an aeronaut casting from icare in Canada. Just have cut his legs off to fit him in the stock tub...if you look close you'll see his unapproving expression and what he thought of that surgery.
I agree with your comments about promark and tailor made. both great companies with 'best in the industry' products. Jerry was very candid about the cost to reproduce this scheme using his methods, and while it would have been awesome he was successful in talking me out of it for the pure cost. Thier process is labor intensive and the price reflected that. I appretiate his honesty and will continue to use his product where I can.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:09 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Skyhawk, thanks for the link. Nice website. I've met Tom Smith at top gun a few years ago when he had is ME109 there....great guy! If there product is good enough for his eye it's good enough for mine! Feel free to post pics of your bug. Where in Vancouver are you? I moved from there in 2000 and still come back every year or so to visit family in the okanagan. Man, I miss it.