SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2010, 02:58 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Servo reversing

OK, I decided to buy a cheapest reversing Y-harness I can find and use it on this F-18.

Just kidding... You scared the c#@% out of me...

I looked at the instructions that Brian sent, and also found a YouTube video on reversing servos:
How to REVERSE a Servo. (4 min 32 sec)

Really, not a big deal. 30 minutes later one HS-225MG was reversed. I connected it with a REGULAR Y-harness to another servo, and confirmed that they move in opposite directions. Of course, I just realized that I forgot to buy rudder servos... How did that happens??? I now see... I needed SIX 225MGs but only bought 4...

The HS-225MG does fit into the aileron places, but perfectly. I mean, I can't even put a sticker on it because it will then be too thick... But it does fit...

Thanks for all your advice!

Yoram.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Sep 2009
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Thanks, Marshall!

I didn't get to install the servos, so I'll keep my eye open for what you said. I think Brian has fit the 225's into the wings, so I'll ask him what he did.

I'm not planning on removable wings for this one. For me, the problem transporting this plane is the length, not the width... However, in my wife's Ford Expedition EL--I can probably fit two of those, side by side, with the wings installed...

I will put the fan as far back as I can--all the way towards F4. I understand this will be a nose heavy bird... You can see it already by looking at where the wing is, and where the rest of the plane is...

What do you think the source of the slop in the 5645 is? Is it gear?

One more question--what did you use to connect the fan to the front intake and the rear thrust tube? How did you do it?

Yoram.

P.S.--I use the video of your maiden flight whenever I want to show people what I'm building...
Yoram,

I used fliteskin to transition on both ends and downloaded the software from the below link to create the cone shapes. There was a bit of trial and error but in the end the fit is great and they are really smooth and effective.

Again the servos were old so maybe that was it and I had the 8411's laying around from a Mustang I have yet to finish so I used them. That's great the other servos fit, I actually had those and couldn't get them in and even carved out all the foam but still no luck, anyway that's crazy your ready to glass already, moving fast!

Thanks for the video comment, wish it was better
red5designs is offline Find More Posts by red5designs
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:42 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Meanwhile, I removed the reversing Y-harness from the T-45 (no, not to move it into the F/A-18...). I realized that I only use 6 channels, and I have a 7-channel AR7000 receiver in one of my planes, that cannot use more than 6 channels. So I took the AR7000 and installed it in the T-45, and connected the two flap servos to different channels, reversed one of them, and programmed a mix on the DX7. Now I'm relieved...

Based on all of your advice, I'm starting to think more and more about the JR 9503 as my transmitter... The flap servos are reversed, though...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red5designs View Post
Yoram,

I used fliteskin to transition on both ends and downloaded the software from the below link to create the cone shapes. There was a bit of trial and error but in the end the fit is great and they are really smooth and effective.

Again the servos were old so maybe that was it and I had the 8411's laying around from a Mustang I have yet to finish so I used them. That's great the other servos fit, I actually had those and couldn't get them in and even carved out all the foam but still no luck, anyway that's crazy your ready to glass already, moving fast!

Thanks for the video comment, wish it was better
Your video is great. It delivers the sound and flying characteristics. I'm sure your following flights were even better.

The 225MG fits exactly... Not even 0.1mm to spare... But it still fits. Believe me--I would have gotten a different servo if it didn't...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:50 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Which radio???

Guys, I'm stuck here. I'm trying to decide on which radio to get. I'm sure I can do with 8 channels and don't need 9 (I can connect the two flaps and two ailerons with simply Y's).

I was thinking DX8, but I'm hearing range concerns with them (I have a DX7 for 2 years now with no radio problem yet).

I thought about Futaba 8FG, JR 9503, or Hitec A9. The advantage with the JR or DX8 is the backward compatibility with my other airplanes.

The advantage with the DX8 and A9 is the telemetry (I would like to know what is the REAL status of the flight battery).

What do you all think???

Yoram.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:48 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
9503 with out a doubt! Remember the radio is a long term investment in this hobby not for just the Yellow F-18, there is going to come a time when you need that ninth channel!!!! I have heard good things on both the Futaba and the Hitec, I have 8 Spectrum/ JR recievers so for me the 9503 was an obvious choice when I upgraded my Dx6i.

You need to get over the real status of the battery thing... Its a bell/ whistle not a required thing. Once you get a plane dialed and know the average flight time its a non issue! The 9503 is an updated version of the proven 9303, to me its the safe bet. I know Gunrad had issues with his 9303 and I am really bummed he lost his F-16 but there are guys here in San Diego and all over the place flying $10k turbines with JR and expensive BVM's I have seen tons of pics of Rob Lynch tearing up the skys with his BVM jets and JR Radio's and you dont see his planes falling out of the sky. I have lost 1 plane from a "brown out" or "lock out" and it was my fault not Jr's
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:17 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,665 Posts
Gun had a DX7

I would never use anything by Hicrap (radio or otherwise) - but that's just me. It's a preferance thing.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:43 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

I would never use anything by Hicrap (radio or otherwise) - but that's just me. It's a preferance thing.
I dont know about that, I have to say I have never used their radios but have had fabulous success with their Servos and would put them up against all the most expensive ones out there! Never had one fail and thats a fact!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:21 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,665 Posts
Like I said - it's just me. Some have sucess.

I can't count how many servo's and Rx's I've had fail. Also seen them do in some of the bigger planes. More so than any other servo.

I'm glad they work for you.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:24 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,267 Posts
strictlyscale,

How did you go about finding the sweet spot for the RDS arm?
I measured from the hinge line, but the manual talks about finding the sweet spot manually

Manual says "As shown in the larger
individual drawings, the front edges of the pockets go a little behind the hingeline. For flaps, elbow of the bend goes a little behind the hingeline & for ailerons, a little ahead. Actual elbowlocations are manually found to be the “sweet” spots in a particular installation as the shafts are sized to length."
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
155 Posts
Quote:
Guys, I'm stuck here. I'm trying to decide on which radio to get. I'm sure I can do with 8 channels and don't need 9 (I can connect the two flaps and two ailerons with simply Y's).

I was thinking DX8, but I'm hearing range concerns with them (I have a DX7 for 2 years now with no radio problem yet).

I thought about Futaba 8FG, JR 9503, or Hitec A9. The advantage with the JR or DX8 is the backward compatibility with my other airplanes.
y The advantage with the DX8 and A9 is the telemetry (I would like to know what is the REAL status of the flight battery).

What do you all think???

Yoram.

Yoram,

This is like a Chevy/Ford debate, personally I would only buy JR and have nothing but awesome things to say about my first edition 9303 DSM2. I fly all my planes from foamies to my Hornet and giant scale on it and have never had a problem. I've flown with 26 giant scale WWI planes and with countless numbers of foamies at Warbirds Over Delaware again without an issue. I do wish I had the 9503 only because it lights up though...

In the end you probably can't make a bad decision, have you held and messed with all of them? I do find the 9303/9503 to be much more comfortable than the Spektrum's and MUCH lighter than the JR 12X.
I do not have any experience with Futaba and a few guys in my club use them but to be honest probably 80% of the club uses JR 12X and 9303/9503 's. I have yet to see the Hi-Tech or Airtronics.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:13 AM
Joined Sep 2009
155 Posts
Quote:
Your video is great. It delivers the sound and flying characteristics. I'm sure your following flights were even better.

The 225MG fits exactly... Not even 0.1mm to spare... But it still fits. Believe me--I would have gotten a different servo if it didn't...
Yoram,

Here is the link on how to make the ducting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...cketed+adapter

Later!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Guys, thanks for all your support and insight. I really like the features of the DX8, as well as the Aurora. I would like to keep continuity with the DSM2 airplanes I have. I don't believe I personally had any RADIO issue with any of them. 5 crashed, all attributed to poor piloting skills. Nothing else. Can't blame the radio link for any of them. The good news is that I have improved since then, and none of the following 6 airplanes have crashed (so far...). The F/A-18 will be #13 (should I worry?... Should I build a cheap airplane before I'm done with the F/A-18 so the F-18 will become #14?...)

I like the Ford/Chevy analogy... There is a lot of FUD out there, to the point I thought that maybe the best approach is to just combine servos and continue to use my DX7 which didn't give me any problems in 2 years.

I posted this question in a few threads I subscribed to (some of you subscribe there too, so you must have seen those...). The sense I'm getting is:

DSM2 is not a bad link.
JR 9503 is "professional grade", and somewhat "mature" technology (for better or worse...) as it is really the 9303 with minimal modifications (such as backlight...)
DX8 and Aurora 9 are very innovative and feature rich, but also very new, and maybe not tried and tested enough.

I will order one in the next couple of days. I'll keep you informed...

Marshall, thanks for the link to the ducting!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:48 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
Just encase you don't think DSM2 is a bad link. Look at the guys flying bigger turbines and loosing planes with lockout.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97..._1/key_/tm.htm

Also I think you will find JR getting away from DSM2 some how because they need to save face. No other radio system needs 4 satellite's and 2 batteries just to be usable.

Its just confusing to me because people like Rob Lynch flys his but off and has no problems. And a ton of other people. All I know is you don't see other radio systems having all these brownout problems and you need to use a flight log just to set up the antennas correctly. Not to mention is needs 4 antennas to work reliably.

Just a food for thought.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:19 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,288 Posts
This debate could go on forever, we have tons of guys using Spektrum and Jr at our club for a long time and never one incident, I don't think the technology is flawed but it does have a science to it. Stuff can go bad regardless of the brand. The company with the most complaints in the US is Coca-Cola, why, well they have the most customers. Jr/Spectrum moves a lot of units and is going to see issues based on pure volume. What I find interesting is how few these issues occur with helicopters? This roll and die scenario has been reported more than once and I would guess each model had something in common other than it being a Jr radio.