Gianluca
felix72 is offline Find More Posts by felix72
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:16 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Hey Sean,
How's progress coming along? Have you flown the A-7 yet? I'm stuck overseas for a few more days, was supposed to be back home Monday 24 Aug, but ran into some delays. I was finishing up spraying my landing gear before I left. Was hoping to get home with few days off and continue with the build.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:38 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Mark,
Haven't done much on the F18 in the past couple weeks as I've been working on getting the A7 airborne. A couple teething issues that i'm working through but I'll post those developments under the A7 thread when I get some resolution to them. I've also been doing some flying (novel concept) when I can to make the most of the nicer days.
As far as the Hornet goes, I did get the nose gear and steering servo mounted. Also mounted the exhaust nozzles. Here and there I've been able to do a little more filling, sanding, priming, etc in hopes to get paint on it soon. I hope to be at that point within a week and have been staring at the color scheme trying to strategize the best way to tackle it...which I think I've come up with now. Little unorthodox I think but it should be a fun one if I can pull it off. I had wanted to fly it in primer first but the vertical fins need to be permanently glued on the model and painting these as well as the fuse in that area after they are glued on just seem to be a very challenging proposition....
Here's my guide.....source Leading Edge Models.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Very cool color scheme. It's going to look great, and if your other projects are any indication, you'll make this one just as impressive.

I'm still delayed overseas for a few more days, may make it back by Sunday. I'm still gathering more parts since I have time to sit and make a list, while I'm waiting for things to clear up here.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Mark, sounds good. I'm just about finished (well you never really finish, you just stop) filling and sanding and priming etc. May get some color on next week, but likely the following week. I've been making up the LEX fences. Surprising the Yellow has omitted this detail...actually they also omit it on their larger F18 kit too. I may look to make a mould of mine and if it works I'll cast you a pair. If you want them the that is.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:08 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Man that would be great! I was looking over my many F/A-18 walk-arounds and my Hasegawa 1/48 scale kit and was trying to figure out how to fabricate some LEX fences. I've seen many turbine owners that have them (I think Paul Reese did some for 1/7 scale). Whatever it costs i'll be happy to pay for it. I finally got back to the US after being stuck in Guam for a week, will head back home and do some much needed building.

Sean thanks again for offering to fabricate those fences, I really appreciate that.

One question...did you offset your pylon stations or put them on 90 degrees to the fuse? It shows an outward angle of 4 degrees, was just curious.

Mark
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:47 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Man that would be great! I was looking over my many F/A-18 walk-arounds and my Hasegawa 1/48 scale kit and was trying to figure out how to fabricate some LEX fences. I've seen many turbine owners that have them (I think Paul Reese did some for 1/7 scale). Whatever it costs i'll be happy to pay for it. I finally got back to the US after being stuck in Guam for a week, will head back home and do some much needed building.

Sean thanks again for offering to fabricate those fences, I really appreciate that.

One question...did you offset your pylon stations or put them on 90 degrees to the fuse? It shows an outward angle of 4 degrees, was just curious.

Mark
Well, let's make sure the LEX fences turn out OK first. I'll let you know later in the week how that goes.

I believe my pylon stations are parallel to the fuse C/L. I haven't really done much with them, other than purchase them from Yellow and mount the hard points in the wing with small pilot holes drilled in them. I also have some ordnance but realizing this is a demo aircraft I'm not sure they are needed. I have the mounts in so if I decide at a later date to add them it will be easy enough.

Welcome back to the homeland.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:55 AM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
Here are some pics of my f18.
The pictures were taken during ground testing.
Nothing fell off so its almost ready to fly.
Ill paint it once the maiden is over.
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:59 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Brett,
Very nice and with gear doors! Clean sterile installation in the EDF and battery sections, I like that. I'm guessing you're leaning towards the Jolly Roger paint scheme?

Curious as to the AUW? I can see a DS-94(?), Jeti Spin/Hacker 99, what kind of thrust are you getting, what type battery/size/Mah? Did you use the intake and exhaust that came with the kit?

Just want to know what to expect with mine, when I'm done. Once again...Nice Jet!

Mark
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:04 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
Thanks, it's good to be back home. I'm definately using your dowel trick to mount my pylons, and can always add a little offset later, will have to see what looks best. Not a problem on the LEX fences, make sure they can be done easily first. But I really do appreciate the offer...Thanks.

Mark
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:16 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Brett,
I echo Mark's comments. Very nice and very clean looking. Nice job on the doors, nice addtion to the kit. Looks like you also fly from grass, let us know how you make out.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:47 AM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
Thanks guys

Im using thunder power 5000ma 12s powering a Neu 1521/2y should be about 3000 watts. @ 60 amps..

Ill have to weigh it on my scales at work but it should be about 6 kg.

I used the original intake to make a mould and created a new intake without the narsty angles and tried to minimize any low pressure expansion in front of the fan.

The exhaust duct was left as is.

Its a good idea to make sure you get all your weight back as much as possible if you want it to balance correctly.

I also had all the landing struts powder coated and surprisingly it only cost $3.60 AUS

Ill be flying of grass and donít foresee any dramas. My initial ground test indicates she wants to fly fairly quickly.
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:54 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Brett, to be at 13lbs is fantastic!! Best of luck with your first flights, and thanks for posting your setup/tips for this model.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:12 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Thanks for sharing the information. Nice and light too. Good luck on the maiden, looking forward to hearing your flight report.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:52 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Mark,

Here's a picture of my LEX fence plug and mould box. I need to pick up some new silicone next week to pour the mould. Took mine out today and one of the two parts was all rubbery.

Should be able to get these done next week....I want to start painting some color!!