HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:46 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Brett, thanks for checking in. Your concern is a common one, in fact I'm surprised the skeptism/doubt took so long.

This is a tried and true method having driven surfaces on models much larger than this. The beauty is that there is ZERO slop in the surfaces. If there is slop then there is a reason for it, and it's in the set up:

1. There’s slop in the servo gears.
2. The surface itself is flimsy or flexible.
3. The flat is convex.
4. Setscrews are not well seated.
5. The servo or its mount is loose.
6. The shaft used is too springy.
7. Hinging allows play between the fixed & moving surface.
8. The servo screw is not fully seated allowing the adapter to slip on the gear.
9. An adapter may seem to fit, but is the wrong one & allows slippage.
10. The pocket is wiggling around in the surface.
11. The pocket has split.
12. The shaft is not laterally restrained.

Here's some information on the set up:

http://augiemckibben.tripod.com/site...ive_system.pdf

And if you really have doubts on the physics behind it, check this link out:

http://www.hauninger.gmxhome.de/hobb...g/RDS/RDS.html
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:07 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,431 Posts
I've also used this system on a couple of planes, and it's really nice. If you get the 1/8" rods, they are very strong and will not twist at all. Remember you are supposed to have them only has long as they need be and they're also made of a high quality steel, not your typical chinese crap steel. The wire fit in the pockets are also very tight, so provided you do a good job of hinging and gluing everything in place this works like a charm. And you get the bonus of hidden linkages which is very nice on a scale model.
Arngeir Blakseth is online now Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
Glad you enjoyed your time at the Wright Brothers Memorial, I've been there twice. It's a definite must see for aviation enthusiasts.

I did order two sets of 3/32" and one set of 1/8" RDS from Walt. As far as which one goes into what jet/airplane, the 1/8" is going into the F-16, and one set of 3/32" going into the F-18.

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Jul 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
Thanks for the info

Ive been doing a bit more reseach on RDS system and there seems to be quite alot of info on the subject. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I think ill give it a go on a wing im about to start building for a bizjet.

I like the look of these heavy duty couplers. Check them out

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_..._couplers.html
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:16 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Brett,

Those look promising, thanks for the link!!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:24 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
RDS system?

strictlyscale,

Would this system also be appropriate for a full flying tail, ie like the 90mm F-18 that I'm building?

Gary
garymac is offline Find More Posts by garymac
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:38 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Gary,
No, this RDS system they way it's being used here would not be needed on a full flying stab. You don't have the problem with exposed linkages on a full flying stab. The advantage of the RDS system is that you can hide linkages internally in the wing...and proably in a fin or stab to drive the rudder and elevators. In a full flying stab you should be able to keep the servo and linkages in the fuse, correct? I'm not familiar with the F18 you're building.
Last edited by strictlyscale; Jul 30, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:15 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Progress update...gear arrived and mains have been mounted and working. The nose retract is in and now I need to make a mount for the cosmetic trailing link. Here are a few pics as the priming process has begun.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:52 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Man you are rolling out some really nice planes...
which fan are you running in this one ..dyn-e-max?

very cool
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:58 AM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
Looking excellent! Love those gear from RCCrafters too. What weight did you have Ed set your gear spring at? I had him set mine at around 15 lbs, not sure it's going to be that heavy, but should be close.

Mark
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:07 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Man you are rolling out some really nice planes...
which fan are you running in this one ..dyn-e-max?

very cool
Ron
Yes, the dynemax with the scorpion motor. It's actually just sitting in the model in these pics...it's a perfect drop in fit.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:09 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Sean,
Looking excellent! Love those gear from RCCrafters too. What weight did you have Ed set your gear spring at? I had him set mine at around 15 lbs, not sure it's going to be that heavy, but should be close.

Mark
Not sure I told him any weight numbers...I'll see how it works out. Ed was great to deal with and if I need to stiffen them up later i'm sure he will be most helpful with this. I was at a jet meet today talking to a friend of mine who has the larger yellow kit and said that yellow are putting two springs in their gear...one softer one for initial pressure under static load, and a second shorter stiffer spring for impact absorbtion.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:28 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I believe you're right about Ed being helpful, the man is a pleasure to deal with, and quick to respond too. Just curious what is your guess as to the AUW? My initial guess was 16 lbs, but decided to go with a lighter weight when i ordered my gear from ED...BTW i sent those PDFs to you.

Build and Post
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:41 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,829 Posts
Mark,

I think your estimate of 16 lbs should be pretty good. I was thinking 17-ish. At the moment as you see it sitting in these pics with all the claptrap that I know will be in there I'm at 230 oz. (14.375 lbs). What wasn't weighed was the misc tubing, wire, control horns, final paint, and balance weight. Everything else (fan, batteries, servos, tank, switch, valve, etc etc) was included in my weight above.

Got the pdf, thanks!
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:53 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
You're welcome, and thank you for posting your build progress. You do some amazing stuff with your builds (A-7, F-18, P-51).

I figured I would err on the lighter side with 15, and if it came in much heavier i could adjust. I know you plan on flying mostly from grass, I have a couple fields that I fly from that are asphalt only, so not overly concerned with the spring weight if it does come in heavier.

Mark