HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2009, 03:47 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
The next step is to make a bracket to trap the servo down to the ply mounting plate (which will later be epoxied into the wing).

Picture 1: I used K&S brass strip 0.016" x 1/2" as the straps.

Picture 2: I made up a jig to bend the straps using some scrap 1/8 ply to slip the unbent bracket legs through.

Pictures 3 & 4: Using some 1/32 and 1/64 ply shims I built up the top of my jig until I got the right leg length to cinch the servo down.

Picture 5: The brass is fed through the jig and tapped to shape with a hammer.

Picture 6: Test fitting of the strap.
strictlyscale is online now Find More Posts by strictlyscale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2009, 03:55 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Pictures 1 & 2: To mount the straps I used some #4 sheet metal screws with nylon #4 washers.

Picture 3: Test fitting of the servos in the pockets in the wing. The pockets are a little tight and may need to be enlarged. I'm working to see if I can keep them as they are as I've already made some G10 covers for them. Sorry for the blurry picture.

Side note: those 3/8 dowels with small pilot holes you see embedded into the wing are for the ordnance pylons. I have a pair for my model from Yellow Aircraft but figured I'd add provisions for both pairs in case I want to add another later...or even move the location of the ones I have.

Picture 4: Quick picture showing the clearance between the servo and the surface of the wing. This is good as there will need to be some adjustment and 'tilt' of the servo during alignment.

That's as far as I got today...I hope this is of interest to others...
Old Jul 09, 2009, 04:10 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,222 Posts
Look at you with the hidden linkages.. nice
you do some cool stuff

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:47 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Extremely clean set-up, thanks for the link, will order mine as soon as I get back into town on Friday. I have to say it too...you do cool stuff!
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:21 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Thanks guys.

Next step is to set the pockets into the control surfaces. I'm using the starboard flap for this example, but the same process will be required for all the surfaces with the only difference being the 'sweet' spot of the bend in the control rod.

Pictures 1 & 2: Correctly locate the hinge line be setting the center point into the control surface. The trailing edge of the wing was capped with 0.010" thick flite skin before glassing. This makes a strong and sharp cover to hide the gap between surfaces.

Picture 3: I found that the hinge line on my flap is 1/8" behind the trailing edge of the wing (picture looking up from the bottom). Typically I would hinge my ailerons along the C/L of the trailing edge, and the flaps on bottom of the trailing edge, however to use the RDS I felt it would be easier to keep them both along the C/L of the trailing edge.

Picture 4: The pockets need to be located slightly BEHIND the hinge line. I used 1/16" for this distance, making the front of the pocket 3/16" behind the trailing edge of the wing. In this picture the tape edge marks the front of the pocket distance.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:32 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Pictures 1 & 2: I used my Robart hinge point drill guide to locate the C/L of the flap leading edge. Using a 1/8" dia drill bit in my dremel to drill a series of holes the length of the pocket (2").

Picture 3: Once the pocket was drilled out roughly, I used a sanding stick (I believe these came from BVM) to open up the slot to 3/16" wide to allow for the pocket to slide into. I also sanded the pocket a little at each end to round off the corners.

Picture 4: Test fit of the pocket with a nice close fit.

Picture 5: The opening in the flap to accept the pocket.

Pictures 6 & 7: The pocket slipped into the flap, a depth of 1/16" behind the hinge line.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:39 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Picture 1: Using a piece of 3/32" wire bent at 90 degrees to replicate the rods that came with the RDS kit, I test fitted the servo and rod into the wing. I used my own piece of wire so I could cut and adjust to get the correct length without the fear of cutting the hardened one that came with the kit too short.

Picture 2: The flap in the up postion.

Picture 3: The flap moved to the down position. Throws etc will be adjusted later in assembly.

The servo pockets are proving to be quite a challenge as they are such a tight fit for the servos that I think I'm going to have to enlarge them. We'll see.

That's about the last of the update for a week or so...family vacation time!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
Looks like you'll get lots of deflection. I sent my paypal to Walt for two kits (one for this build and another for TF P-51) Finally got the Dyn-E-Max from Fred, and email from Ralle about the decals. He has a few schemes that I like, I'll send him another email and ask for specific maintenance decals. The dowels for the external stores is a great idea, I have the wing stores kit and missile kit but wasn't too sure about the center tank kit, maybe add that one later. Keep posting those RDS set-up pics, they look incredible!

Mark
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:23 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,403 Posts
strictlyscale --Thanks for the pics of the struts on the "other" site. I had mailed Ed, and he filled me in, price, delivery etc. To the untrained eye, they look close. I understand the quality, and true to scale part of it. So, why are they that much better? Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by Ebok; Jul 15, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:17 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake
So, why are they that much better? Mark
Mark, not sure if anyone said they were a lot better. I chose them for my own interest. I think they look more scale than the Yellow struts (which I needed to purchase anyway), have a wider stance, and appear more robust. Now, I've never heard anything negative about the strength of the yellow struts, in fact I've heard good things about these as well. It was really just a matter of personal preference and budget.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:32 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,403 Posts
strictlyscale , Thanks for the reply. Have to put my purchase on hold for a bit, but will follow your build to pick up some pointers. Thanks, Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 19, 2009, 02:41 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Sean,
Thanks for the detailed description, and outstanding pictures of the RDS installation. I spoke with Walt about my order and will also use it in a 1/8 scale Global Jet Club F-16.
Did you use a reverse servo for the flap installation or do you plan on using a separate channel for both flaps? I have a JR 12X, and was thinking of doing a separate channel for ease of trim.

BTW, how was your holiday?

Thanks,
Mark
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:16 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
The beauty of 12 channel is that you can use a seperate channel for each function.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:46 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79
Sean,
Thanks for the detailed description, and outstanding pictures of the RDS installation. I spoke with Walt about my order and will also use it in a 1/8 scale Global Jet Club F-16.
Did you use a reverse servo for the flap installation or do you plan on using a separate channel for both flaps? I have a JR 12X, and was thinking of doing a separate channel for ease of trim.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, I have a Futaba 8 Channel radio and will be using different channels for the flaps. I'll likely do the same with the elevators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79

BTW, how was your holiday?
It was a fun trip. My first time to the outerbanks (Duck, NC) and really enjoyed it. Was able to go to the Wright Brothers National Memorial at Kill Devil Hills as well. My wife and daughter weren't as excited about the location as I was, but they did enjoy a few hours outside and away from the beach.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:56 AM
The need for speed
Perth Western Australia
Joined Apr 2005
332 Posts
Hi strictly scale

Ive been following your thread as i have a yellow f18.

I find your servo method an interesting idea but has it ever been done before in such a big plane.

Im a little concerned that there will be way to much slop especially for ailerons use then there is the issue of rod twist . All of this will cause flutter.
Brett_Warwick is offline Find More Posts by Brett_Warwick