HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:27 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Build Log
Sterling 63' CC Motor Yacht with a twist?

Hello Norgale, as you can see I've started it.

Background
Firstly, for all you experts out there in the realm of forum threads, please be aware that this is my 1st attempt at a forum thread, so play nice.

OK, as to the build; I sent away for a set of Plans, Instructions and full size kit part templates for the Sterling B-11M kit, a 63' Chris Craft Motor Yacht from Norgale and received them in short order and in beautiful condition all for a VERY reasonable price, even shipped to the Pacific Northwest in Canada. Thanks once again Pete, I couldn't be happier.

My Version
For this model, I am planning to do 2 very different things; I want to enlarge the size of the original kit and I want to strengthen it as well.

As I had the notion to build a "fleet" of Chris Craft cruisers all to the same scale, my initial plan was to enlarge the B-11M plans and templates to 1/12th scale or 63". That I did, however on examining the full sized model, I realized that I might not be able to lift such a model into and out of the car to sail her. So, I compromised and chose a 1/14th scale for this one only, making it a mere 54" in length. This would fit, since the 50' Catalina would be only slightly smaller. And being only slightly off the 1/12 scale, I think I will be able to use dollhouse figures and furnishings without it looking too stupid. We'll see about that.

I don't know whether you expert model builders out there would classify this as a "scratch build" or not, but that's what I've been calling it, so I hope I'm right. I have built a few kits and a couple of scratch boats before and had good luck with "aircraft ply". We can get it locally in thicknesses ranging from a mere 1/64" to a full 1/4". I have used all of them with no problems; it is strong, easily worked, takes a great edge when cut and is easily painted and even stained.

First step is to trace templates onto the ply and cut out the parts and trial fit them. I'll post some pics as I go along so bear with me.

'till next step ...
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Last edited by ClassicBoats; Sep 16, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:35 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Way to go Murph. I've been looking to hear from you on the forum and I'll be very interested in how this monster goes together. As for scratch building or not, as far as I ever knew it's scratch built if it's not a kit.The fact that you have a good set of plans to build from doesn't make the job easier but rather harder than with a kit. So I would call this a scratch built boat by all means. If I'm wrong I know I will be corrected. Ha! Be sure to cut to the OUTSIDE of the lines after you enlarge the plans. You may have to sand some to fit but at least you will have enough wood to make the fit. Good luck and keep us posted. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:19 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Started- Keel(s), Hull frames and Floors cut out and Fitted.

On the outside of my workshop wall you can see the "Plans" part of the package, the amount of detail is really staggering when you consider what you get with a $500 kit these days. The kit can be built with a removable back cabin and deck section and I'm toying with the idea of fully furnishing her inside and making the lower cabin and front deck removable in the same way as the rear. We'll see if that can happen!

I've included a shot of the "Instructions" part and some of the "Templates" so you can see what I'm starting with.

I've decided to trace & cut the parts in roughly the same sequence as the Instructions state for building her. The Bow Stem and Keel pieces have been made as 1 piece out of 1/4" a/c ply. Most of the Hull Frames have been made as 1 single piece each from 1/8" a/c ply and I decided to leave off the temporary top spanner part in most of them as well, believing that I can do without them. We'll see about that too!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1

'till next step ...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:25 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Hi Pete: I obviously didn't get the hang of the attachments, did I? Now I know.

I'll get a photo of me standing beside her, so you can get a feel for the size. I can stretch my hands out and lift her off the table without much of a problem, so I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new vehicle to get her to our local pond.

Yeah, I changed internet providers and was off the air for over a week. How you doing down there in lotus land?

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:31 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Size comparison

Here is a photo of me with the boat so far. As the caption says that is a meter stick ruler, so very close to the 40" size of the original kit. I don't think the final weight is going to be much more than my Dauntless. We'll see!

'till next step ...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
The Lotus are blooming and it's so hot and humid I don't go out unless I really have to.
Glad to see the good thick plywood keel. This boat will need the strength.
A suggestion if I may? See if you can make the front deck removable. There's a lot of room there that just goes to waste and you may need extra space for electricals and batterys. I wish I had done that on my 63 but it's too late now. I didn't do any inside furnishing for that reason and glad I didn't. I need the space for the batts.
Your really making good headway with this Barry and it looks very nice. Keep us posted on the progress and oh ya, make new patterns of the frames ect. at this scale. I think you will get requests for them. Like from me maybe. Ha!
When do you get your new truck for hauling this thing? Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jun 26, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Great looking project, CB!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:15 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
Welcome CB,
I like your T shirt.
I'm watching this build.

Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:21 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
An even larger C-C Motor Yacht; a great idea that really has needed to be undertaken by a capable modeler. Eagerly watching....
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:30 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Aerominded - Thanks, I hope I can do this kit justice.

MILLERTIME - Thanks, I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. Gets a lot of attention when I go out. I can't count the number of people who've done double takes.

norgale - Pete, aren't you near water? I think I'd be in it all day.

The front deck was part of what I was going to try to do with the lower cabin. I thought if I glued the H-3A, H-4A and the stringers to the deck planks, then the Lower Cabin onto the decking, it might work. It looks like there's enough freeboard forward to not have to worry about water seepage down the edges of the deck.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:34 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBoats
Aerominded - Thanks, I hope I can do this kit justice.
You appear to be off to a great start!!! I'm sure you will do a great job!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 08:36 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Don't count on the high freeboard to keep the water out. Mine gets wet from stem to stern when running through any waves. It's a heavy boat and it goes through the waves and not over them creating a lot of spray.
Yes I am near the water and I used to go to the beach all the time. However the wonderful county decided we needed facilities and a paved parking area and a kiosk to sell high priced suntan lotion and a guard in the parking lot writing tickets for parking too long and you have to pay to go there now and the ticket you get to go in is only good for a few hours and then you have to come up off the beach and get a new one and pay again or get a $35 ticket. The county government has ruined another great place to go beachin' all in the name of soaking the tourists to death. I hate the county government for doing this to us and they will never get a penny of my money at that beach. The rest of the coast is privatly owned by millionaires so you can't get to the beach any place else in this town. All the countys are the same too and the feds just raised all the entrance fees to the federal parks so that keeps all the working people out cause they have no jobs and no money. The local government could screw up a one car parade and they are really screwing up our counties. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jun 27, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
349 Posts
That`s going to be one fine boat. It`s on my list. So you built the Dauntless? Do you have any pics you could post? Any comments on the Dauntless? Was it the Dumas kit you built? I`ve been considering it for my next build. Thanks
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:26 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
This is going to be an interesting build. Looking forward to more progress.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Don't count on the high freeboard to keep the water out. Mine gets wet from stem to stern when running through any waves. It's a heavy boat and it goes through the waves and not over them creating a lot of spray.
Yes I am near the water and I used to go to the beach all the time. However the wonderful county decided we needed facilities and a paved parking area and a kiosk to sell high priced suntan lotion and a guard in the parking lot writing tickets for parking too long and you have to pay to go there now and the ticket you get to go in is only good for a few hours and then you have to come up off the beach and get a new one and pay again or get a $35 ticket. The county government has ruined another great place to go beachin' all in the name of soaking the tourists to death. I hate the county government for doing this to us and they will never get a penny of my money at that beach. The rest of the coast is privatly owned by millionaires so you can't get to the beach any place else in this town. All the countys are the same too and the feds just raised all the entrance fees to the federal parks so that keeps all the working people out cause they have no jobs and no money. The local government could screw up a one car parade and they are really screwing up our counties. Pete
OK, so how about if I make a very narrow shelf around and under the deck assembly? I'm thinking something in the area of about 1/16th" out from the sheers? I wouldn't want to come out too far that it detracts from the furnishings below. Perhaps I could design it so that it looked like the crown molding around the ceilings?

By the way, any time you or anyone else would like a copy of this 54" version, I'd be happy to supply them -after the build- at basically cost + shipping. Murph
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:53 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willj
That`s going to be one fine boat. It`s on my list. So you built the Dauntless? Do you have any pics you could post? Any comments on the Dauntless? Was it the Dumas kit you built? I`ve been considering it for my next build. Thanks
Yes, I built the Dumas Dauntless. I got it a few yrs ago from a hobby shop in CT for just over $100 US including shipping. The kit came complete with running gear & fittings. Couldn't pass that up. That was my 1st look at Dumas wood and I wasn't impressed. I'd built a custom CC Cobra with door skin mahogany and found the wood shattered when I cut or sanded it. Anyways, I replaced all the wood with a/c ply and still have the original wood parts, so I made templates from them.

Here is a link to see a few pics of it (there are many more pics to come when I get some time to update the website). Choose the Modellers topic on the left, then click on Barry, then on Dauntless. If you want more pics I could email them to you?

http://GenerationsDesigns.ca/CLYG/index.htm

The Dauntless is a fairly straight forward build, I think. There were only a couple of places that I found the Plans a little confusing; (1) the Cabin window frames, and (2) the "rumble seat" support structure up front.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:39 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Sheers & Chines fitted

... Sorry for the interruption, but I usually reserve Saturdays for battery recharging & minor repairs then Sundays our "group" goes over to our local pond and sail our "wee boats". After sailing we have a "meeting" at the local pub, where all manner of boating news is hashed about.

OK, at this point the Sheers and Chines have been tacked in place. Did I mention that I hate sheers? Chines not so much, but anyways. In the photos for this session I've added the actual kit Part Identifiers for future consideration. If any of you guys think it detracts from the pics, let me know and I'll upload the originals & stop doing it.

I keep telling myself I should not cut out the notches and tabs until the frames are permanently in place and squared, but I never listen. To say they are a mess, would be an understatement. Thankfully they'll be covered with decking.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:47 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Front Deck Supports ready

Hmm, I didn't plan this out very well, did I!

Refer to the pics above. The support structure for the Front Deck is beginning to be assembled. The 3 stringers will be glued to the H-3A and H-4A parts only, then the decking strips glued down to these.

I was just thinking about what Pete said about water getting up on the front deck and it just occured to me, if I make the raised and carved Bow Pieces BPs a little bit longer, then the deck could slip under it and hold it down. Then maybe I could attach the Toe Rails TRs to the decking only, so they could become the "lip" I need to stop water from getting below. Hmm... have to chase that one around a bit.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:57 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
New Supports for Centre Floors

Sorry about this, I'll have to plan this out way better next time!

Since I want to "furnish" the insides complete with interior rooms, and I'd like to be able to get at my motors and radio gear etc, which will likely be stored under the F2s, but you're NOT suppossed to include these floors if your model is powered, I need a way to remove this floor.

So, I'm hoping that a couple of supports fore and aft which will be glued only to the hull Frames H-5B and H-8B will hold up the floor and at the same time allow me to remove it later. This part of the boat houses the Main Saloon with among other things a set of stairs up to the Bridge and a desk. By using these 2 "furnishings" I would be able to lift the floor up and out of the way? We'll see.

'till next step ...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:46 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Barry good progress here. Suggestion; at the stern put epoxy or glue all around the frames behind the transome and maybe even fill these hollow spaces with expanding foam. This area cannot be reached after the boat is finished and mine developed a leak there a few years after building. I sealed the outside with epoxy to fix but I should have done the above before I put the transom on. Also you can make your floors before the rest of the hull but leave them out till your finished with the hull. You will have to reshape them a little to make them removable after you get the shafts and engines mounted. Looking good Barry. Great build. Pete
I ended up just screwing the floors to the frames so they wouldn't shift around. They are removable but not before removing some of the gear inside.
Last edited by norgale; Jun 30, 2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:17 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
"Sorry about this, I'll have to plan this out way better next time!"
I don't mean to be telling you what to do BUT ( Ha!) if you follow the instruction book the sequence of construction will go a lot better for you. When I built my 63 my enthusiasm often got ahead of the work and I found that going back to the instructions gave me the organization I needed to finish the model without having to tear things up and redo them. I would finish the outside of the hull before trying to get too involved with the inside and you will have a lot more room to work inside than I had. Fit the decking but leave it off till the inside is done. Pete
Old Jul 01, 2009, 04:29 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willj
Willj:
I finally found some more pics of my Dauntless for you. There are more than these up in the Galleries section of the website by the way, I jus't can't remember where exactly they are.

I benefitted from a Build Thread somewhere on this site when I did mine.

Cheers, Barry

PS: Where abouts in Vancouver are you? Do you have any boating clubs there?
Old Jul 01, 2009, 06:29 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Looks great Barry, She moves right along too. Very nice work. Pete
Old Jul 02, 2009, 01:51 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Barry good progress here. Suggestion; at the stern put epoxy or glue all around the frames behind the transome and maybe even fill these hollow spaces with expanding foam. This area cannot be reached after the boat is finished and mine developed a leak there a few years after building. I sealed the outside with epoxy to fix but I should have done the above before I put the transom on. Also you can make your floors before the rest of the hull but leave them out till your finished with the hull. You will have to reshape them a little to make them removable after you get the shafts and engines mounted. Looking good Barry. Great build. Pete
I ended up just screwing the floors to the frames so they wouldn't shift around. They are removable but not before removing some of the gear inside.
Thanks Pete. A few of the guys have discussed the expanding foam, but we've heard that it can actually break parts when it expands, so we've never used it. It DOES sound like just the ticket though. It would be great to fill up that "Stern" assembly with it as well as the "Rope Locker" up front. I'll have to try it some day.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 01:54 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Noooooo!!!! don't use expanding foam!!!

Ok, if you must, use the two-part stuff... NOT the spray type from hardware stores..

Don't ask how I know...

Your C*C is looking great, CB!
Old Jul 02, 2009, 01:59 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Real Assembly starts

Well I think I've gone about as far as I can safely go just tacking and trial fitting parts, so now I'm going to build for real. And, as Norgale suggests, we'll follow the Instruction's sequences.

As I go along here, I'm going to pause to make sure I make templates of all my parts at the 54" size.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 02:39 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Stem/Keel Level & Squared

The first thing was to bolt down my vise to my building table. The table was levelled to the floor and the vise levelled to the table top.
Next the Bow Stem/Keel was levelled and squared to the table top. From there, it should be easy work to keep the hull frames square to the Keel and level to the table.

The small rubber patch in pic 014 is a piece of a non-slip router pad cut up into 2"x1" pieces. They are great to help clamps grab small places and rounded or smooth surfaces. In this case hull frame H-2 needs to be pulled tight to the rear of the bow Stem.

I use Titebond III as my wood glue now. I used to use Gorilla but after an incident with my Dauntless last year in some "icy-cold" water, I changed over. I use a handy glue spreader from Lee Valley Tools to apply the glue in some very tight spots (like down into the Keel slot) with pin-point accuracy. So far it has not let me down, but then I haven't used any other models as an icebreaker since then either.

For each hull frame I make sure that it is square to the keel on both sides, then square to the table also on 2 sides. Then it is clamped with ¾" binder clips from Staples to keep it from moving, like when I accidentally bang into the table!
Old Jul 02, 2009, 06:11 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,781 Posts
Classic Boats- I really enjoyed the pictures of your Dauntless underway. She looks like she can get up and go. What do you have for power and batteries in her?
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 02, 2009, 02:03 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,605 Posts
Quote:
I use Titebond III as my wood glue now. I used to use Gorilla but after an incident with my Dauntless last year in some "icy-cold" water, I changed over.
What happened? Did the glue let loose due to the cold?
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jul 02, 2009, 03:54 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
Classic Boats- I really enjoyed the pictures of your Dauntless underway. She looks like she can get up and go. What do you have for power and batteries in her?
FrankG:
There are 2 Graupner Speed 700 Turbo C motors turning opposite, 1 MCD SC-480 esc, 2 6v 9Ah (|| @ 12v) gel cels in her with Dumas brass 3 bladed props.

Yes, she does move, BUT I have just gotten an Eagle Tree Sytems eLogger V3 with Temp sensors to try and figure out why my run times are so short. Some days I only get about 10 mins out of her. My charger afterwards says that the batteries have lots of power left in them; or at least when I recharge them it takes no time at all to finish. So?
Old Jul 02, 2009, 04:01 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
What happened? Did the glue let loose due to the cold?
Green-Boat:

Yes, that's exactly what happened and exactly at the joins of the wooden motor mounts to the hull. Actually, hitting the ice ripped them right off the hull, the only saving grace was that the universals broke at the centres. I wasn't going very fast, but still there could have been some serious damage in there, including a breech of the hull I think. I was lucky.

One of our "group's" modellers told me about Titebond III having a better temperature range. So far it has held, but as I said, I haven't tried being an Icebreaker with any of my boats since, so I really don't know.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 04:05 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Noooooo!!!! don't use expanding foam!!!

Ok, if you must, use the two-part stuff... NOT the spray type from hardware stores..

Don't ask how I know...

Your C*C is looking great, CB!
Aerominded:

OK, you piqued my curiosity, (1) what is this 2-part stuff? and (2) what happened?
Old Jul 02, 2009, 06:20 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
If you use "Tough stuff" from HD and just give a squirt in each compartment and then let it expand and cure and then slice it off with a sharp knife before you put the transom on it will work fine. I used a lot of it on my Tuna Clipper in the bow and the stern cavities and I had no problem. Just don't use too much and give it plenty of time to cure. Pete
Old Jul 02, 2009, 07:57 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab
ClassicBoats,
I'd like to try what you're doing with the 63 CC, I did a search but cant find the company Norgale. Could you please send a link to them or post it in your build ?

Thanks, Duane
CaptAhab: Hi Duane,

There is no company called Norgale or at least that I know of, it's the RCGroups handle of a fellow down in Florida by the name of Pete McGill. (Pete: I'll let you give him your email or post address, OK?)

Pete was my source for the Plans, Instructions & Templates for the 40" version of the model. You can PM him if you want that version. I simply took the 40" Plans & Templates to my printer and had them enlarged to 135%.

If you want to get a copy of the 54" version that I already have, just let me know. I also have a version at 63" that I'm most likely going to build some day as well.

Cheers, Barry

PS: Are you the one from Crosby, TX who has been viewing our CLYG website? If so, thanks! Hope you enjoy it.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 08:22 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Aerominded:

OK, you piqued my curiosity, (1) what is this 2-part stuff? and (2) what happened?
2 part urethane foam is just that, mix part a and part b and stand back! 2 part foam is usually a better quality foam and seems to have more predicatable expansion rates than the hardware store variety- it can be found at better craft, hobby and industrial suppliers...

The spray type, found in hardware stores is normally used to fill cavities in walls etc. and expands agressively and seemingly forever...

Sounds like Norgale has had good luck with that type...

I sprayed some (what didn't seem like too much) into a section of a hull that was open on the top... the foam expanded, broke my boat and my heart...

A week or so later, I refaired the boat... came back to it sometime after and the foam was still moving!!! ruined the hull again!!!

I eventually gave up...

this hull was balsa planked, glassed over with 6oz cloth- not heavy so that probably made a difference!

We live and hopefully learn! I won't be doing that again!
Old Jul 02, 2009, 08:55 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Hi Barry, Yes that was me at your website checking stuff out. Pretty intresting ! I've been flying planes most of my life and only recently have been looking at the scale boat section. I purchased the Dumas 42" Triple Cockpit but wont start it till I finish a plane I'm on now. The 63 Chris Craft is an awesome looking model and I think the size you're doing is perfect, cant wait to see it come to life. And, I'd sure like to build a copy of the 54" you're doing now. I'm signed on to your build and will be watching with great intrest. Heres a link to my Grumman Goose build, hope you all here in scale boats check it out - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034310
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Jul 02, 2009, 08:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Grumman Goose build
Highly recommended!
Old Jul 02, 2009, 09:37 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
CaptAhab The plans that I have are two sheets of the original Sterling plans plus 6 sheets of patterns for all the parts needed to build the model. It also includes the 15 page instruction book that gives you step by step instructions on how to build the boat. I ship the plans rolled in a tube for $30 including the postage.
However if you want to go with the larger size model you will save yourself a lot of running around and time if Barry will sell you a set of his plans already at the larger size. It doesn't make any difference to me who you buy the plans from. My only interest is the promotion and preservation of these Sterling models that are no longer made.
I got these plans from Rudy Gyuga up in NJ and I think he is the one who actually made the tracings of the patterns. Good thing he did too or these plans and patterns might be lost forever. Pete
PS; I've seen your thread on the "Goose" and you sure do great work. That's a big airplane and a lot of work. Hope to see a video of it flying some day.
Last edited by norgale; Jul 02, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Norgale I'll take you up on the offer and that way I wont take time away from Barry's build. Send me the info I need for payment and I'll get it to you. I do Paypal or can mail a check.
Thanks...

And thanks for the compliment on the Goose ! I'm hoping by end of next month for maiden flight.
Last edited by CaptAhab; Jul 02, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:21 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
Nice Goose!!!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 03, 2009, 10:30 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,605 Posts
I used the spray foam in my Albemarle but reexpanded it a couple of times before closing it all in. After it expanded the first time I put the boat in cardboard box "oven" with a hair dryer poked thru one end set on high. After an hour I removed the boat and trimmed down the foam and put it back in the "oven" again for a couple of hours. Trimmed it down again and carved out a little extra just in case. The boat has been fine for 8 years now.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 01:29 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Interesting idea about heating the foam! Sounds like it can be made to work well but I was /am still too traumatized after my only try with the stuff! never again for me!

Back to the C*C!
Old Jul 03, 2009, 01:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
I second the motion... back to the CC
Old Jul 04, 2009, 12:17 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
"Be careful what you ask for...."
I asked, on more than one occasion in these threads, for someone to build a C-C 63-footer in a larger scale than Sterling's 1:19 scale. It's very gratifying to see someone doing so; should be a dramatic model in the water. And there's even talk of a 1:12 scale version, surely THE penultimate C-C, if it should ever come about.
Upon reflection, the surprising thing is that it hasn't happened before now, given how long Sterling's offering has been on the market, and how universally admired those models are, at their 40" length.
Good on ya, Barry! We'll eagerly follow your progress.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,781 Posts
Jeepers 1940- To answer your question and one that has been asked of me a lot since we started Legend Model Boats, “why don’t you guys build the old Sterling Model Chris Crafts”, the answer is quite simple. It has to do with the registered trademark name “Chris Craft” and the right to use it in the production of any item which carries it name.

The right to manufacture models of Chris Craft boats is under license to Dumas Products and they are the only company that I know of that has the right to use the Chris Craft name in the production of their kits. Other manufactures have made models of speed boat types, (that for all intense and purpose were Chris Crafts), but were called by another name to keep from any legal problems.

There are a great number of Chris Craft models which we would have liked to bring to market, but the legal entanglements are not worth the effort especially with so many other manufactures of cruisers and speed boats which are available to produce in model form. As for producing a Chris Craft model with out using the name or under a different name, why bother?

This is not to say that anyone can build any Chris Craft model boat or yacht, even from the original plans which can be obtained form the Mariners Museum in Virginia, but for their own use and not as a source of income or profit. So have at it on any of the Chris Crafts or any other manufacturer for that matter, and don’t forget to post your build here on the forum, with lots of pictures for KMOT!!!
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:27 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Hello Frank, Thank you for the information on the Chris-Craft model boat situation. I have had in mind an individual modeler building a freelance from-scratch C-C 63-foot Motor Yacht or one based upon the Sterling plans, but enlarged. It seems that Barry has decided to build one using the Sterling plans as the basis for his larger model.
As we have discussed in other threads on this subject, I do understand that model producing companies do not have the right to call their models Chris-Crafts unless they are licensed to do so by the Chris-Craft Corporation (or whatever it's called nowadays).
I hope that Barry might start a trend here with his project, and inspire other individual modelers to have a look at the other cabin cruisers of yesteryear, with the intention of enlarging old plans to build larger versions of now old kits. The cabin cruisers formerly produced by Dumas, such as Colonial, Harco, Richardson, Vinyard, etc., come to mind in this regard. But they were made in, by today's standards, pretty small sizes - 25 or 26 inches; many of today's modelers want something larger, I think.
Speaking for myself, I find the design and lines of the old (40's and 50's) wooden cruisers much more appealing than those produced from say, about 1960 on to the present.

I checked, and according to Wikipedia, the corporate entity is now known as Chris-Craft, Inc. They make some 16 models in three configurations, starting at around $ 42,000.00.
Last edited by jeepers1940; Jul 05, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 12:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers1940
Speaking for myself, I find the design and lines of the old (40's and 50's) wooden cruisers much more appealing than those produced from say, about 1960 on to the present.
I agree with jeeps... but I'll draw my line in the sand at 1970-

40's and 50's were perhaps the peak but I also like the 'transitional' looks of the 1960's Connies and some of the runabouts.

I also agree that this will be an impressive model when done! Keep up the great work, CB!
Old Jul 04, 2009, 10:16 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Hull Frames in place

All the Hull frames H-1 thru H-13 are now securely glued, squared and levelled to the Keels. Now that the frames are in their final positions, the Chines were once again checked for final fit.

I have decided not to glue all 3 Chine parts together before slipping them into place. I'll glue each part in turn front to back in place and do the next before the glue sets. I'm also going to add a gusset to span the Chine part joints.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 04, 2009, 11:10 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Guys, I was in my second home(Lowes) the other day and found that they make two types of expandable foam in a spraycan. One only expands about 2 or 3 times and the traditional stuff everyone knows about that expands ALOT.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:29 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
CB, I just went down in the shop to grab the tape measure to get a visual on how big this is gonna be. Man it's gonna be awesome ! I bought the Dumas Triple Cockpit, but after looking this over I think it's gonna be on the shelf a while.
Last edited by CaptAhab; Jul 05, 2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 02:45 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
You're right about the size, CaptAhab. It's going to be as long as a Sterling 42' Corvette, plus about another half a foot. That'll be one roomy hull.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 07:15 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
YUP! It's gonna be purtty. This is becoming a really nice build and I'm watching it closly. With all that room for batts there should be lots of power for planing and long runs. Way to go Barry. Pete
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:26 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slocum
Guys, I was in my second home(Lowes) the other day and found that they make two types of expandable foam in a spraycan. One only expands about 2 or 3 times and the traditional stuff everyone knows about that expands ALOT.
Tim: Thanks for the info. By any chance did you get a brand name of the 2-3 type? I don't think we have a Lowes up here, but we can sure go down to Bellingham to get it. (Don't tell the boss, but it gives us guys a chance to go to the Horizons Hobby shop down there also.)
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:37 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Port side Chine installed

There's no turning back now ...

I've just installed the port Chine {FCH-(P), CCH-(P) & BCH-(P)}. I did it in 3 separate pieces. I just had a feeling that the stress on the 2 keyed joints was going to be far less doing it this way. I'll reinforce all the glued joints in an hour or so. When that's pretty much setup, I'll start the starboard side install.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
CB, will you be making the running lights and some of the hardware or are they available to buy in this scale ?
Thanks...
Old Jul 05, 2009, 03:45 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
CB, will you be making the running lights and some of the hardware or are they available to buy in this scale ?
Thanks...
CaptAhab:
I will be TRYing to make all my own fittings that came with the kit myself. I have CAD software and CAM wax milling machine. I've imported all the fittings from 2 angles, top and side, from the Plans sheets. I'll make waxes of each part, try to make a mold for them and try to get them cast in brass & finally try to Cobalt plate them. We'll see...

I'm thinking once I have a set of molds it shouldn't be too difficult to make dupes. We'll see...
Old Jul 05, 2009, 03:52 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Port Chine and gussets final gluing

Most of the joints were solid enough to apply a final heavy coat of glue. I added the front and rear gussets to reinforce the keyed joints between the 3 parts of the Chine.

Should be dry enough tomorrow to do the starboard side.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 05, 2009, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
It sounds like you'll do fine. Good luck !
Last edited by CaptAhab; Jul 06, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 05:21 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Hey Barry. Where have you put your car??? It sure won't go in the garage anymore. Pete
Old Jul 05, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Classicboats, I'll try to stop by and check the brand name Monday.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 11:17 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
It sounds like you'll do fine. Good luck !
Hi Duane:

You needn't have edited/removed your post. If I'm able to actually create a set of molds, then of course, you can have a set made. Why else would I create molds?

Look, these models are so beautiful that everyone who wants to build one should be able to, fittings and all. And they shouldn't have to mortgage their 1st born (as the costs on eBay suggest) to have one.

I'm not intending to give them away, but I don't expect to get rich either. Pete (norgale), John Fryant & Rudy G. all from this site have helped me get sets of plans etc, for a number of old but gorgeous boat models. They never charged me an arm & a leg to get the plans to build those boats, so it would be very ungrateful of me to not return the favour, if I can.

If I ever get the fittings created, I will certainly add your name to the wish list, if you still want. Cheers Barry
Old Jul 06, 2009, 12:40 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Hey Barry. Where have you put your car??? It sure won't go in the garage anymore. Pete
Hi Pete:

Right! There never was much room in there for the boss's van, but right now there's not enough room for a wheelbarrow, let alone a car. But you know, sometimes you've just got to straighten out your priorities.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 12:46 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Classicboats, I'll try to stop by and check the brand name Monday.
Tim:

Thanks. I'd sure like to try that stuff out. But I have the same doubts that Aerominded has. I think I'll be doing a lot of experimenting. It sounds like just the ticket for filling small compartments, but I sure don't like the idea of it continually expanding.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 02:48 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Starboard Chine & gussets

I got home early enough last night to install the starboard Chines. By this morning the structure was all dry and I applied the gussets and gave all the joints a thick application of glue.

The Sheers will be next. I hope they go in as nicely as the Chines did.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 06, 2009, 03:54 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Wish List

I know this is off topic, but I'd just like to put in my 2¢ worth, while I can.

A while back some of you guys were discussing some of your favourite boats; 40s & 50s CCs, etc.

Chris Crafts were absolutely gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but I think we also have to consider some of the following. Any one of those would make a fabulous model.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 08:22 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Now your talkin' CB. Back then boats had some class and they didn't all look alike. Those are some pretty boats. Pete
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:39 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I think the 1950's? boat is from the late 40's, but I could be wrong. I not as experinced with non US manufacturers.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 12:53 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
I think the 1950's? boat is from the late 40's, but I could be wrong. I not as experinced with non US manufacturers.
Tim:
You could be right, I really don't know.

The 1st "1950s" (the one not running) is named "Gypsy" and I never did find out who made her or when, I got her pic from the web.

The 2nd "1950s" (the one running) is named "Lazee Girl" and I got her from onboard a ferry, with my telephoto at max, I don't know who built her either.

If anyone knows more about them, please let us know. Trouble is, I don't think there were many -if any- CC look alike builders out here on the west coast. There were a couple back east - Richardson & Owens come to mind.

Oh well, we can dream at least.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:39 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Here's one of my favorite old woodies from a "fallen flag".
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:06 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
That guy is living the dream, Tim... Nice Yacht... Looks to be a Cessna 206 on floats tied up to it... all in a nice location... I should have tried harder in school, I guess...
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:30 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
But we do have memories of some pretty good times back then, eh? That's some comfort, I guess.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:35 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Of school??? Heck, I would rather have the memory of landing my 206 in a narrow waterway and taxiing up to my yacht that is anchored in a quiet cove where a fine lunch and good company are waiting!

Ah, I can smell the fresh air, the sun warmed varnish... a little bit of leather maybe... and just a hint of avgas... all to the soundtrack of little waves lapping the side of the hull and the floats... How sweet it is...
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:45 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Aero-, I guess we'll just have to do everything right in our next life, if we can manage to remember all the places where we went wrong in this one. Or somethin' like that.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:50 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
LOL!!! Naaaaa, speaking for myself, I'm sure I'd find another way to goof it up if given a second chance at it!
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:18 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Here's one of my favorite old woodies from a "fallen flag".
Tim - That cruiser is absolutely stunning! We've got to find out what her name is and see if we can get some more pics of her. If that boat had been from out west here, I would have ventured a guess at a Monk cruiser perhaps.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:19 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
That picture has appeared in another thread before, but I don't recall the particulars, if they were given. Does anyone remember?
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:31 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
Yes it has appeared before and she is a sleek looking yacht. Love those oldies. Pete
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:01 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
CB, Couldnt post till now because of a busy work week. Please keep me on that fitting list. I just didnt want to step in here seeming like everyones new best budy. Hope the build is progressing well. That picture of the boat and float plane is awesome, even has his own radar station, too kool !
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:30 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I was the one who posted the picture before. The yacht is a 1930 New York Launch and Motor Co. 80fter. It was for sale, not sure if it still is. The picture was taken when she was in better shape. Now, she's a fixer upper. I believe the last price was around $70,000. She is located in Washington state. I have more pictures of her, I look around.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
This is the only other picture I can find right now. Anyone want a retirement home?
Old Jul 09, 2009, 02:18 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
This is the only other picture I can find right now. Anyone want a retirement home?
Hey guys ... I did some searchin' and found a lot about her on a previous thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827118. She was originally called the 5th "Nedeva", then went to Seattle as the "Shorleave". She didn't have the radar dome when she came out west, so she is a beauty. There are a number of shots of her at "haulout", so some of her hull lines are seen.

Before I got these plans, templates etc for the 63' CC Motor yacht, I was in the process of building a 48" 48' Boeing Shipyards Bridgedeck Cruiser "Hula Kai". It is on hold for the moment, but now I've got plans (with hull frames) for the 40' Vinyard from John Fryant, both the Vinyard (not a Mathews) and the Hula Kai will get completed sooner rather than later.

Now we know a bit more about "Shorleave", it might be a bit easier to build her; not at 80" though. But God wouldn't that be a model? I'll never live long enough to build all the models I want to.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 02:38 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
I look forward to seeing progress on your Vinyard 40; 1" = 1' would be a great scale in which to build her. It will be interesting to see your build techniques and how you power her.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 02:43 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I believe I've run across a beautifully restored Boeing bridgedeck yacht named Gatsby or Rumrunner. I'll look for pics.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:23 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Sheers permanently in place

I really have got to stay on tropic!

The portside Sheer [FSH-(P), CSH-(P) & BSH-(P)] have now been glued permanently in place. These like the Chines, were not assembled as one piece before putting in place like the Instructions suggest. Unlike the Chines, the Sheers are proving to be rather messy ie. not a good fit at all. A problem brought on mostly by myself when I changed material dimensions. The starboard Sheer was no better.

The Front Deck Supports H-3A & H-4A have been glued in place now as well. The plan still is to have the front deck removable.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 09, 2009, 09:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Looking good. You can never have too many clamps!! When you buy that many, it gets a little pricey.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 09:40 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,605 Posts
You can find inexpensive clamps if you look hard enough. Those black and orange ones pictured, I saw them at a woodworkers show 2 years ago for 50 cents each.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:04 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
50 cents each for the black and orange bar clamps pictured??? Man! how do they do that???

I think I paid close to $10 each for those I have!
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:18 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,605 Posts
The black and orange ones are the cheapies, made in China variety.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:22 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,605 Posts
Found them.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...word=bar+clamp
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:39 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Hee hee, mine are "name brand" but probably made in the same factory in china!!!

Good find though... one can never have too many clamps...
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:52 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,605 Posts
FYI:

I happened to be in Depot this evening and they had 1/2" and 1" spring clamps for 37 cents each and 2" ones for 68 cents each.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:03 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Sounds like the "buy" signal!!! Again, can't have too many clamps!!!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:32 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Looking good. You can never have too many clamps!! When you buy that many, it gets a little pricey.
That's only about 1/3rd of them. We have a hardware store up here "Summit Tools" which has a import branch in China. Most of my clamps I got for under a $1, sometimes as cheap as 50¢ each. There are bins of them. You just have to take the time to examine each one to make sure they work. I have 4 really good quality ones from "Canadian Tire", they cost me about $10 each. I hardly ever use them.

Anyways, one of the first things I was told when I started building, was that "you can never have enough clamps". I'm sure, when I start applying the skin, I'll be short some.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Thanks alot Greenboat, now Im going to have to spend some $$$$. Seriously, thanks for the tip, this will help alot.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:45 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
B-11M-01 Searchlight now rendered in CAD for 54" size

I was away all this weekend so nothing got done on the boat per se. But last Friday, I started and completed the 3D version of the Searchlight at the 54" size. According to Sterling, it's part number was B-11-1. On my 54" drawings it is 22mm square roughly from the Top-Down and Side views.

Here are the photo-realistic renderings of the part as created in my CAD program. The finished size is 22.1mm front-back and 21.97mm side-side, so I'm happy with it. I made a 1.5mm hole from the light housing all the way down through the stem for a light wiring set. There are also 2 cylinders -one on each side- that will allow the light housing to raise or lower in the "U" shaped collar, which is not attached to the light housing, even though it looks like it is. Although it should have swivelled, I couldn't see any mechanism on the drawings that would have allowed for that action. But, I might just add a post at the bottom of that "U" shaped collar where it joins the post, so that it can turn. Haven't decided yet. We'll see.

The next step is to mill it in wax and get it ready for molding.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,584 Posts
I wish I could do that!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
B11-02 Compass now in 54" size

Just finished doing the Compass, Sterling part B11-02 in the 54" size. But, I need some help to finish it, I think.

If you look at the Top down view with the 2 text boxes in it; does anyone know if there are any markings or writing on either of those 2 surfaces? Thanks.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I wish I could do that!
Tom: I've been watching this Forum for a good 2 years now, and I've seen what you and a lot of the other guys who have been to this thread have done, so trust me; if you had the software and the training that I've had, there is NO doubt whatsoever in my mind that you all could do it better than me.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
770 Posts
B-11-03 Steering Wheel 3D Rendered at 54" size

Done with the Steering Wheel, Sterling part # B11-3 at the 54" size, of course minus the wooden spokes. Just like the other 2 that are designed, they have yet to be milled in wax.

'till next step ...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,584 Posts
This stuff is just so awesome and kewl.....
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot