HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Build Log
Sterling 63' CC Motor Yacht with a twist?

Hello Norgale, as you can see I've started it.

Background
Firstly, for all you experts out there in the realm of forum threads, please be aware that this is my 1st attempt at a forum thread, so play nice.

OK, as to the build; I sent away for a set of Plans, Instructions and full size kit part templates for the Sterling B-11M kit, a 63' Chris Craft Motor Yacht from Norgale and received them in short order and in beautiful condition all for a VERY reasonable price, even shipped to the Pacific Northwest in Canada. Thanks once again Pete, I couldn't be happier.

My Version
For this model, I am planning to do 2 very different things; I want to enlarge the size of the original kit and I want to strengthen it as well.

As I had the notion to build a "fleet" of Chris Craft cruisers all to the same scale, my initial plan was to enlarge the B-11M plans and templates to 1/12th scale or 63". That I did, however on examining the full sized model, I realized that I might not be able to lift such a model into and out of the car to sail her. So, I compromised and chose a 1/14th scale for this one only, making it a mere 54" in length. This would fit, since the 50' Catalina would be only slightly smaller. And being only slightly off the 1/12 scale, I think I will be able to use dollhouse figures and furnishings without it looking too stupid. We'll see about that.

I don't know whether you expert model builders out there would classify this as a "scratch build" or not, but that's what I've been calling it, so I hope I'm right. I have built a few kits and a couple of scratch boats before and had good luck with "aircraft ply". We can get it locally in thicknesses ranging from a mere 1/64" to a full 1/4". I have used all of them with no problems; it is strong, easily worked, takes a great edge when cut and is easily painted and even stained.

First step is to trace templates onto the ply and cut out the parts and trial fit them. I'll post some pics as I go along so bear with me.

'till next step ...
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Last edited by ClassicBoats; Sep 16, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
Way to go Murph. I've been looking to hear from you on the forum and I'll be very interested in how this monster goes together. As for scratch building or not, as far as I ever knew it's scratch built if it's not a kit.The fact that you have a good set of plans to build from doesn't make the job easier but rather harder than with a kit. So I would call this a scratch built boat by all means. If I'm wrong I know I will be corrected. Ha! Be sure to cut to the OUTSIDE of the lines after you enlarge the plans. You may have to sand some to fit but at least you will have enough wood to make the fit. Good luck and keep us posted. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:19 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Started- Keel(s), Hull frames and Floors cut out and Fitted.

On the outside of my workshop wall you can see the "Plans" part of the package, the amount of detail is really staggering when you consider what you get with a $500 kit these days. The kit can be built with a removable back cabin and deck section and I'm toying with the idea of fully furnishing her inside and making the lower cabin and front deck removable in the same way as the rear. We'll see if that can happen!

I've included a shot of the "Instructions" part and some of the "Templates" so you can see what I'm starting with.

I've decided to trace & cut the parts in roughly the same sequence as the Instructions state for building her. The Bow Stem and Keel pieces have been made as 1 piece out of 1/4" a/c ply. Most of the Hull Frames have been made as 1 single piece each from 1/8" a/c ply and I decided to leave off the temporary top spanner part in most of them as well, believing that I can do without them. We'll see about that too!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=&stc=1

'till next step ...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Hi Pete: I obviously didn't get the hang of the attachments, did I? Now I know.

I'll get a photo of me standing beside her, so you can get a feel for the size. I can stretch my hands out and lift her off the table without much of a problem, so I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new vehicle to get her to our local pond.

Yeah, I changed internet providers and was off the air for over a week. How you doing down there in lotus land?

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:31 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Size comparison

Here is a photo of me with the boat so far. As the caption says that is a meter stick ruler, so very close to the 40" size of the original kit. I don't think the final weight is going to be much more than my Dauntless. We'll see!

'till next step ...
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:32 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
The Lotus are blooming and it's so hot and humid I don't go out unless I really have to.
Glad to see the good thick plywood keel. This boat will need the strength.
A suggestion if I may? See if you can make the front deck removable. There's a lot of room there that just goes to waste and you may need extra space for electricals and batterys. I wish I had done that on my 63 but it's too late now. I didn't do any inside furnishing for that reason and glad I didn't. I need the space for the batts.
Your really making good headway with this Barry and it looks very nice. Keep us posted on the progress and oh ya, make new patterns of the frames ect. at this scale. I think you will get requests for them. Like from me maybe. Ha!
When do you get your new truck for hauling this thing? Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jun 26, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 04:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Great looking project, CB!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:15 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,342 Posts
Welcome CB,
I like your T shirt.
I'm watching this build.

Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:21 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
An even larger C-C Motor Yacht; a great idea that really has needed to be undertaken by a capable modeler. Eagerly watching....
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:30 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Aerominded - Thanks, I hope I can do this kit justice.

MILLERTIME - Thanks, I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. Gets a lot of attention when I go out. I can't count the number of people who've done double takes.

norgale - Pete, aren't you near water? I think I'd be in it all day.

The front deck was part of what I was going to try to do with the lower cabin. I thought if I glued the H-3A, H-4A and the stringers to the deck planks, then the Lower Cabin onto the decking, it might work. It looks like there's enough freeboard forward to not have to worry about water seepage down the edges of the deck.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:34 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBoats
Aerominded - Thanks, I hope I can do this kit justice.
You appear to be off to a great start!!! I'm sure you will do a great job!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
Don't count on the high freeboard to keep the water out. Mine gets wet from stem to stern when running through any waves. It's a heavy boat and it goes through the waves and not over them creating a lot of spray.
Yes I am near the water and I used to go to the beach all the time. However the wonderful county decided we needed facilities and a paved parking area and a kiosk to sell high priced suntan lotion and a guard in the parking lot writing tickets for parking too long and you have to pay to go there now and the ticket you get to go in is only good for a few hours and then you have to come up off the beach and get a new one and pay again or get a $35 ticket. The county government has ruined another great place to go beachin' all in the name of soaking the tourists to death. I hate the county government for doing this to us and they will never get a penny of my money at that beach. The rest of the coast is privatly owned by millionaires so you can't get to the beach any place else in this town. All the countys are the same too and the feds just raised all the entrance fees to the federal parks so that keeps all the working people out cause they have no jobs and no money. The local government could screw up a one car parade and they are really screwing up our counties. Pete
Last edited by norgale; Jun 27, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:51 AM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
349 Posts
That`s going to be one fine boat. It`s on my list. So you built the Dauntless? Do you have any pics you could post? Any comments on the Dauntless? Was it the Dumas kit you built? I`ve been considering it for my next build. Thanks
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:26 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
This is going to be an interesting build. Looking forward to more progress.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:41 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale
Don't count on the high freeboard to keep the water out. Mine gets wet from stem to stern when running through any waves. It's a heavy boat and it goes through the waves and not over them creating a lot of spray.
Yes I am near the water and I used to go to the beach all the time. However the wonderful county decided we needed facilities and a paved parking area and a kiosk to sell high priced suntan lotion and a guard in the parking lot writing tickets for parking too long and you have to pay to go there now and the ticket you get to go in is only good for a few hours and then you have to come up off the beach and get a new one and pay again or get a $35 ticket. The county government has ruined another great place to go beachin' all in the name of soaking the tourists to death. I hate the county government for doing this to us and they will never get a penny of my money at that beach. The rest of the coast is privatly owned by millionaires so you can't get to the beach any place else in this town. All the countys are the same too and the feds just raised all the entrance fees to the federal parks so that keeps all the working people out cause they have no jobs and no money. The local government could screw up a one car parade and they are really screwing up our counties. Pete
OK, so how about if I make a very narrow shelf around and under the deck assembly? I'm thinking something in the area of about 1/16th" out from the sheers? I wouldn't want to come out too far that it detracts from the furnishings below. Perhaps I could design it so that it looked like the crown molding around the ceilings?

By the way, any time you or anyone else would like a copy of this 54" version, I'd be happy to supply them -after the build- at basically cost + shipping. Murph