SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Serious virgin.

I got interested in R/C by accident.

Was re-selling a load of cheapy Chinese R/C Cessna RTF toys.
People kept asking me questions I couldn't answer.
If it wasn't written on the box, I had no idea.

So I opened one up, put it together, and took it for a spin.

Whoo-Hoo! I was hooked. BIG time.

Found RCGroups, and started reading.
My home, wife, friends, and credit card have not been the same since.

-Berk
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
Living Dead Guy
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Aug 2008
162 Posts
I'd always loved r/c planes as a kid, but back in the 70's R/C was horrendously expensive for a kid. I flew C/L a bit, then forgot about it all, and found cars and girls, and beer, and working for a living. My GF bought me a Radio Shack 4x4 when we were dating 20 yrs ago, which I still own, and has only had three or four sets of batteries through it. Although it has been scrapped for parts recently.

Enter stage left, circa, 2008, My birthday. Just about a year ago

I was looking at Hobby Alleys website ( a LHS) for "N" scale train stuff, for the wife,( she has a layout) I decided to clcick on the airplanes link.

Wowsers, Foam electric airplanes, RTF! for less than the cost of a Transmitter when I was kid.
I bought a gently used Supercub from a local gent I met through these forums. ( I do my research) and my life has been a series of spendy crashy incidents ever since, and I love it.
The wife doesn't mind, since she's never up when I go flying anyways, and its safer and cheaper than my other passions, custom motorcycles, and Fishing/Camping/WaterSports.
Chopperhed is offline Find More Posts by Chopperhed
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:21 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Used to watch the gas guys fly when I was a kid in a field in Southgate MI. Thought it was a blast. Now 35+ years later have found the thrill for myself. Got flying late spring this year. Got the kids raised, have a little x-tra $ and time. Gettin better and having a blast.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:07 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
I got into U-Line glow planes as a kid. I got out of the hobby when I got married and started a family. I got our first glow powered RC plane about eighteen years ago when my Son was a teenager. I bought my first electric RC plane about three years ago.
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I toyed with control-line and freeflight models as a kid in the late 1960s. It didn't go all that well. I picked up the RC habit again in December of last year. All my models, in this go-round, have been electric. I'm an EE, so it all feels pretty comfortable to me.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
I was an RC virgin, bought an Aerobird Challenger back in 2005. I haven't made it past 1st base yet though because I crashed the Aerobird (the 100th time was too much) and haven't moved on to another plane. I'm looking to move on to 2nd base with an E-Starter when funds allow. I've been waiting 2 years for funds to allow. Thank you $800/month heating bills in 2008....
mrodgers is online now Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:47 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b
I toyed with control-line and freeflight models as a kid in the late 1960s. It didn't go all that well. I picked up the RC habit again in December of last year. All my models, in this go-round, have been electric. I'm an EE, so it all feels pretty comfortable to me.
I wanted to do some free flight when I was a kid but I grew up in a city and there weren't any wide open spaces big enough to fly free flight. I flew my u-line planes at the ball diamond at our local park.
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:05 AM
Joined Aug 2009
16 Posts
text
Boson is offline Find More Posts by Boson
Last edited by Boson; Jul 02, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:14 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
started a little over 3 months ago and i was a complele n00b. i knew nothing. thanks to this board, i now know enough to be dangerous...to the pocketbook.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Old Aug 03, 2009, 03:41 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
mine

my first "real" plane was a firebird phantom. flew great but the tail snapped before i could really get into it.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Aug 03, 2009, 06:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
67 Posts
Well Ive now just finished my second day of flying thanks to my brother Marc (Zorcher1) He has been into it for about 2 years and he convinced me to get a PZ T-28 Trojan.

I took off when I was only supposed to practive taxi-ing but all was well, Ive taken off and landed all but my first flight, a total of 5 now, and now find myself on these forums trying to learn as much as I can.

Its too much fun!
Hooves is offline Find More Posts by Hooves
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:14 AM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
I started flying CL in the early 60's...RC was always out of reach. Built and flew several 1/2A CL models in college, then other things intervened and it was all shelved for many years. I resumed flying to some extent when I began teaching an aerospace course for 7th graders...we built and flew some 0.049 planes, but it wasn't until a friend of mine unexpectedly gave me a little RC foamie a few years ago that I got into the electric side. Bought an Easy Star in '05 and have probably put in between two and three thousand flights since then on a variety of planes. I guess I had been waiting for this revolution for forty years...long live the revolution!
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Last edited by roidspop; Aug 06, 2009 at 10:40 AM.