HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2002, 10:04 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
I was racing off road stock truck class when I saw Zagi fly. Two weeks later I bought one. Haven't charged up my truck batteries since. I'm 100% self taught, I'm up to 9 planes now.

SWE-Flight,,,yes,,I agree the Kavan Partenavia is a great flyer, I have one.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2002, 10:23 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
I was. I started last summer with a Bleriot III and a FMA Razor. Bleriot III was a great plane to learn on, but after teaching my brother and a couple of cousins to fly, alas it has gone to rc plane heaven.

Never flown glow/gas but I enjoy watching them at the local field.

Eric
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Oct 18, 2002, 10:23 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Tried to teach myself to fly around 88-89ish with a Gentel Lady with .049 Figuered what could be so hard---left/right up/down. That's easy

Around the time I saw that wasn't working too well, there was a Mall Show hosted by the club I am now a member of. The guys there told me you can't learn on a gldier ( wrong), and to get a .40 sized glow trainer. This was in early spring, so by late spring I brought my new tainer (PT40) to the field for newbie Night (AKA Wally World (from NL Vacation)as we affectionattly call it now ) Anyway the official club instructor crashed my trainer 3 times before I got much stick time. He deamed it unflyable ( Now I see that he was just a horible pilot ) I decided to take a chance and head to the field on a weekend. Met up with an X- national championship pylon racer. He had me flying in less than a month...with my "unflyable" plane.

Tried electric a year or two after I soloed. It was a disaster, and gave up on them ( flew the heck out of the glow stuff though). In the meantime I flew some electrics for guys who showed up with them ( Great Pains Electra Cub, and PT-E) At the very most the motor would only extend the glide.

Around 1998, I Saw a review for the Twin Star in RCM, and it was glowing. Was kinda skeptical as the other electric ( and some glow planes) that I flew in the past also got "rave reviews" and they flew like trucks at best.
Then I discoverd the EZONE, and their review on the Twin Star. I ordered the Twin Star and on Aug 1998 ( I write the date of the first flight on my planes) I test flew my Twin Star. After that I was hooked. An electric that could easily cruse at 1/2 throttle and get over 10 minute flights. Other electric planes quicky joined my fleet. I still fly mostly glow, but am migrating slowly towards electric.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:02 AM
Throttle,,What's that?
Joined Sep 2002
399 Posts
Tired 20 years ago with a tail dragger .40 gas 4channel airtronics. First flight got it off the ground flew a big circle so far away i lost the plane. When i found it it was in about 96 little parts. Decided learning alone was not for me. 20 years later i decided to get back into flying found e-zone first and decided to get a scooter after reading soholingo,s thread. Called the local club here and the guy told me DO NOT get a scooter as a first plane as its to hard and not a trainer and you will never learn without an intructor . Told me to get a Sig Kadet Senior and after i get it all put together come on down to the local field 35 miles away and well teach ya. Well i did not. From the very first toss the scooter flew and did it great i only have 1 crash on it nothing broke well exept the prop and after breaking several of them i ordered 20 and have not broken one in about 3 weeks now. After 2 months of learning MYSELF i can loop,roll,fly inverted about as long as i want, and anything else i can think of and i can do it with a 2 minute walk where there is at least 150 acres of nothing but knee high grass and weeds and 1 tree that i did find will snag planes right outta the sky
dirtdiver is offline Find More Posts by dirtdiver
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:36 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
I started with e-flight on a Herr Starlite. A good flier (I put cheapo GWS equipment in it, not the fancy stuff recommended). I taught myself as well and can now fly my Sp400 Python (Reno style P51)
with confidence.

I am now dabbling in IC as well

Matthew Allen
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:26 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,124 Posts
I bought the Wingo package deal from Hobby Lobby in January of 1999, taught myself to fly (and repair) the plane over the next few months, and then met up with some experienced flyers who really taught me to fly. Then it was a Twinstar, and X-250, a Pico Jet, and the rest is history. Addiction? What addiction.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:54 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
I taught myself to fly beginning the first day of spring 2002. The first flight was with the tiger moth, taking off and landing were no issue. My instructor, a friend, got bored since he had no chance to touch my stick. The truth is i had many hours with the sim before the very first RC flight in my life.

Three months later, I get the GWS Zero and three months after the Zero, I m now flying the wattage mirage 2000-5. A rough ride but plenty of joy, pleasure and excitement. So what can I say... fun fun fun.... All three of them, the moth, the zero, the mirage 2000-5 are fantastic during the spring and summer... now the weather is getting ugly as times goes by.
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Old Oct 18, 2002, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim2000
... now the weather is getting ugly as times goes by.
Now it's time to build a real kit

And may I suggest any of the Mountain Models kits. I have yet to fly the 2 I am working on(Dusk Stick, Cesna), but in the 12-13 years I have been building kits, these are some of the nicest kits I have built.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 01:06 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcav8r2

Now it's time to build a real kit

And may I suggest any of the Mountain Models kits. I have yet to fly the 2 I am working on(Dusk Stick, Cesna), but in the 12-13 years I have been building kits, these are some of the nicest kits I have built.
rcav8r2
I never get scare when I was up there with the wind but, on the ground, in front of a kit i am really nervous... just don't know what and how to build a good plane from scratch... well, now i really need an intructor in building a plane.

I remember, one time, i got a kit and soon dump it into the trash can. I did a horrible job in building it though.
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Last edited by Tim2000; Oct 18, 2002 at 01:09 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 01:24 PM
North of Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
39 Posts
This is my first scratch-built plane, itīs called el-lajban... a beginner kit, easy to build... not finished yet, a few nights is all i needed to come this far... itīs for a speed 400 with a 5x4.5" prop...
SWE-flight is offline Find More Posts by SWE-flight
Old Oct 18, 2002, 02:07 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
Building a kit now a days is a piece of cake. As an experienced builder I found the MM kits to be a VERY easy and enjoyable build. All parts fit was EXCELENT. A bit fragile, but they are designed to fly well, so are very light.

I can not comment on the instructions form a beginners stand point though. But from what I'v read here, they are a great introduction to building kits. A perfect next step from the Lite Sticks/etc.

I also really like Sig instructions. My wife ( then girlfriend) built a Senioretta (sp?) on her own. I only helped with mounting the motor ( drilling/tapping alum)

Just take your time and enjoy the build. I do like the convenience of the Almost ready to fly jobs, but nothing flies like a nice lite kit.

BTW scratch building referes to drawing the plans, making a kit, and buidling it. ( really not as hard as it may appear at this point in your modeling career) Some of the purists even get bent out of shape if you call it scratch building when you build from someone elses plans. ( got a lecture on that one ) Personally I can care a less what it called.

As an added bonus, if you get stuick building...just post the question/pictures here. I can almost guarentee that you will get an answer or 20
Old Oct 18, 2002, 04:48 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
11,531 Posts
I've been into electric flight for about 2 months with a Wingo. I love it. It's a flying epoxy jigsaw puzzle, but still a lot of fun.
Just finished a Tiger Moth with all the mods - only need the radio installed.

Prior to electric flight....about 20 years ago.... I was heavy into racing electric stock cars on a hi banked cement oval, off road electric car racing, r/c sailing and gas r/c boats...r/c sailplanes, an r/c blimp and yes.... fuel r/c planes.

After so many years away from flying... not only is electric power new to me... so is flying again!

I just retired early and I have plenty of time to keep building the same plane repeatedly!
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Oct 20, 2002, 02:28 PM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
Hadn't touched model planes since rubber-band power in 1960's. Discovered EZone and RC electrics in January 2002. Couldn't decide which plane to buy, so I bought 5 at once - Wattage Lightning, Pico FD, Tiger Moth, Tipsy, and Crazy Max. Self-taught, but FMS simulator really helped.

Still haven't assembled the Tiger Moth, and now have several more waiting to build. Hard as I try, my buying stays way ahead of my building...

- Larry
sheerLuck is offline Find More Posts by sheerLuck
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:34 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I was a total RC virgin two years ago. When the wife started to do volunteer work in the evenings I got online and started looking at free flight sites thinking it might be interesting. Found the Ezone and was amazed at what I found. I had no idea that electric powered planes existed other than the ones found in the toy stores. Trained myself with a T-52 which is able to absorb tons of abuse then moved up to the Cutie. Now the X250 is teaching me its lessons. Life is good!!!
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:19 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Not that old, just been at it for a while..

I've been modeling since I was 10, I'm 46 now. So that makes me not a virgin? I'm under the impression though that E-flight has improved my field skills, and makes the set-up process easier, enough that I'm a better flyer. I still feel new at this though.

If there is some way to make something float, flap, or thrust it's way into the air, I've probably tried it. Not everything was a success, either.. ( lots of things were'nt)

I developed a love of light floaty models early as a pre-teen by making a series of the old Comet printwood kits like the Sparky, Stinson SR7. Airknocker C2, some Guillows WWI bipes. Lots of fun and lots of patched tissue. Then came CL and glow egines.......then glow RC in the late 70's I still have my first .15 powered trainer as a E- conversion, Speed 400 geared, and a real pig at 32 oz. But it flys, sort of.

I'm still being bitten by the slope bug, but I'm not doing it as much now..

The Micro end of RC is whats really got me interested. I guess because you can keep a good assortment of planes in a tiny space and fly at a whims notice. Plus I can scratch build WWI bipes like the Guillows that fly MUCH better than my first rubber powered attempts when I was young. I'll probably do something with larger planes later, and I still have a couple of Taipan .15's that might find a home in a couple of glow planes. Got rid of all my other R/C glow stuff..

I'm having a lot of fun and this website is all to blame...

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Oct 21, 2002 at 02:39 PM.