SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2001, 12:31 PM
St. Augustine, FL, USA
Joined Jun 2000
118 Posts
Never flew till about a year ago..bought a litestick and tried to teach myself...had good luck with the LS. bought a soarstar which I am still working with, but getting better. Finished a Bleroit III and am so ion love with it. Am chomping at the bit for more...no flying now though..to busy dodging falling trees...the Trop. Storm is kicking our buts a little.

Rocky
Rocksnake2 is offline Find More Posts by Rocksnake2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2001, 01:58 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I started this May. Our admin at the office then also worked part time in a hobby shop and was telling me about her boyfriend that
flies helis and other rc craft. Seen him fly a rc chopper inverted hovering 1 foot off the ground. He is dang good!!! Anyways, I asked about cheaper craft and he mentioned for $119, you could get into flying planes. Bought the firebird xl then and 1st flight flew it into a breeze and it flew away but I found it. After numerous crashes and taped wings, got the hang of it and bought a sky scooter. Now, I fly the scooter pro, a T-52 and the
firebird xl. Building a wally mart foamie (speed 400) and also putting together a lite stik. Next is a zagi and pico combat jet.
I have 50 acres and fly all the time. I am self taught. I can't tell you how many great people I've met and all the help they have given me here on the ezone. Without them, I'd still be flying the firebird xl.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:35 PM
Ste-Therese, Qc, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
69 Posts
I first tried with a Mirage 550 e-trainer. It was obvious on first try that the stock motor didn't have the oomph to pull it. A cobalt motor upgrade in the nose opened up the mind of many gassies in the club. From there, I did my training on a gas Freedom .20 and my Mirage. It is fun to fly the Mirage and hear what the people behind the flight line thought about it.

Had to suspend all R/C activities due to a reversal of fortune (budget cuts) caused indirectly by the 9/11 attack. R/C fun will resume soon... I hope.
Spiff is offline Find More Posts by Spiff
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:07 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I flew a 3 channel gas plane in 1976 but got out of the hobby in the same year. I reentered this year in February with a Wattage Impress. I retaught myself how to fly. Since February I have built a Zagi 400x;
built a Sig LT-25, starting with a brushed motor now a 16 cell Mega BL setup;
built a Kwik-E with the Endo setup;
and about 2 weeks ago finished building an E3D with a Mega BL.

As soon as I started reading about electrics in January I never thought about glow again.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:20 PM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,008 Posts
I got my first plane about June of this year. I still have the same plane, and it tought me how to fly without instruction. It is a small electric pusher.
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:36 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,211 Posts
R/C virgin, nope. I had a car, tank, submarine, tugboat before airplane

My first plane was the Great Planes Electro-Cub. That's right, I started with a plane designed never to fly well. I crashed it untill I had to replace it with an Astro Viking. Very nice gentle plane to learn on. Went from there to the Skyvolt. Very nice second plane. Still have both of them. Though I have crashed and retired many others

Ken
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:43 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
No electrics in the early days when I started R/C . In fact at my age I'm not a virgin in anything! Note my by Line!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 17, 2002, 05:09 PM
St Paul, Mn
Joined Apr 2001
365 Posts
My very first plane 3 years ago was a COX Airlifter, which is a $5 wally mart jet with ducted fans, was over $100 and I never felt so taken in all my life, then bought a Sky Scooter and the rest is history. I had never done anything R/C related, but I had massive experiance in sims like EAW, Janes, Fighter Ace, and I think that helped me alot, as I pretty much picked it up right away. If it wasnt for this site I wouldt know anything and I sure as hell wouldnt still be flying. All hail the Ezone!
chris
bozmonster is offline Find More Posts by bozmonster
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:24 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
New to the Air Only...

Have R/C'd for many years.. Have 2 slimers sitting at my parents house.. Brand new, each with their own radio installed and waiting for fuel.. Never had the nerve to fly them.. Nor an area large enough for a .60 Trainer.. Just got into electric air last week and now have a large fleet. Zagi 400x, Tipsy, Terry, and a Kelly.. Have not even had one in the air yet.. Zagi should be sent up for the first time this weekend..
SmoothSL is offline Find More Posts by SmoothSL
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
Never RC'd anything until early 2000. A co-worker was extolling the virtues of his new hobby (this one) and I got interested as we're both electricians. Ordered a Teddy and a Zagi. The Zagi came quick, the Teddy on backorder. My lack of patience found me learning on the Zagi and changing laundry regularly but I stuck with it. Teddy finally came and testosterone made me trade it off early. A couple of JK Aerotech planes (E-plane and Big T), another Zagi with a Mag Mayhem and a couple of ARF E-sailplanes. Now that I'm in San Diego slope flying is king but I still have plenty of powered kits to try out. Mega Manx high on the queue.

Gawd, this is FUN!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:01 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
mmm... everyone loves talking about their 'first time'... Flying that is.

I read an article in Wired magazine (they have reviews of cool new toys & technology) about Hobby-Lobby's Wingo and I just *had* to get one. I'd always wanted to have an r/c plane. At 20 years of age I felt like a little kid again and was fairly embarrassed by it (still am). Everyone seems to be under 16 or over 40 in this hobby, I don't hear of many people my age flying r/c. I guess it's proportional to how much free time (and free money?) a person has. Luckily I've got all I could want and I'm so glad I have something as interesting as r/c flying to do with it

When I finally flew the Wingo I was very disappointed. It could barely sustain level flight. It took me a year to realize I had the prop on backwards... Now I literally have more planes than I can count, from a mini ifo to a 6 lb glow plane on floats and everything in between.
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Oct 18, 2002, 08:12 AM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Started my first plane in mid 70's with a U-control Ringmaster Jr. and had built models most of my life. But R/C didn't happen until cars in the early 80's.
Loved planes still so I built a plane out of a Styro Glider and used my car stuff to power it...even the radio, Duh. Needless to say the thing was a brick but I was still determined to fly. Built a scratch basla plane that I designed and had a "weathered Professional" take it up. Took off in 30 ft flew half a circuit and the pilot turned my plane into a pile of splinters. He said that the design was bad and it wouldn't fly. Flight was video taped and one year later upon reviewing the crash the "weathered professional" noticed that he never put the TX antenna up and that was the cause of the crash. In the mean time I bought a Goldberg Electra and taught my self to fly. Used a Attack 4 with a RX/esc and standard servos and a modified car motor and gear drive.. This was back in 1992. The rest is History. BTW in my area r/cer's did not give me the time of day because I flew e-power and gliders. Now I fly at there fields with my electrics and watch their mouths hang in disbelief...these ain't no litesticks.

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Last edited by KillerAir; Oct 18, 2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 08:38 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
I started as an r/c newbie with electrics about 2 1/2 years ago.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Oct 18, 2002, 08:42 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
About 4 years ago I built a Sig LT-40, but crashed it on first flight because of a radio glitch. Then bought an FMA Razor and learned how to fly in about 1 week with it. As I was learninig to fly a bought a Zagi 400 and glassed it then strapped on a slimer (.061 Norvel) and flew that around for a while.

So, basically the Razor was my first. Now I fly both electric and gas (mostly electric). Also 1 gas and 1 electric heli.

-- Acer
http://speedwing.net "Home of the Mini SpeedWing"
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Oct 18, 2002, 09:45 AM
North of Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
39 Posts
started this summer, my girlfriends dad has a pico stick slowfly that i tried... i just fell for e-planes after that, got a gws j3-cub next week, and use it every time i have a chance Just orderd a Kavan Partenavia. Im told it fly like a charm.
SWE-flight is offline Find More Posts by SWE-flight