SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:20 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS
does anyone know where i can get spare props for this bird? looked everywhere i can think of cant find them
Im a prop buster need spares lol
thanks
ed
Are you running stock? Here it is on Horizon's site.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=PKZ1019

You can search the part number anywhere. Your LHS may even have it.

If you upgraded to a larger ESC, you can run any prop that folks are running on the T-28 or F4U. The largest is an APC 11x7.

BUT, I couldn't get any APC props to fit on the stock spinner. I ended up going with an MA 11x7.

Also, the stock T-28/F4U props won't work - the shaft diameter is smaller on the P-51.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:27 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
thanks UJ , im going to run her stock for awhile so i need stock prop
thanks
ed
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:58 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,254 Posts
I'm thinking of painting mine but have never painted "Z-Foam". Anybody wreck theirs to the point I can have an old wing half or fuse half for testing?

Or better yet, has anybody repainted theirs?
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:03 PM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
You can paint z-foam with krylon fusion and most water based paints.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=267
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=5
BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Last edited by BigTonE; Jun 30, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
I'm thinking of painting mine but have never painted "Z-Foam". Anybody wreck theirs to the point I can have an old wing half or fuse half for testing?

Or better yet, has anybody repainted theirs?
Some people on the PZ Corsair thread posted success by testing paint on styrofoam cups. If it didn't melt the cup, it didn't melt the Z-Foam.

I have not personally tried this however...

Also, most, but not all of the people who tried the water based paints said the looked crummy and were difficult to work with.
jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:43 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I've used regular Krylon on my T-28's before with no problem. One one of them I hit it with a coat of WBPU before, but the other I went straight to paint.

Of course, I just threw both old fuselages out to the curb for trash pickup this morning (after scrounging any remaining potentially useful parts).
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:44 PM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake48
Also, most, but not all of the people who tried the water based paints said the looked crummy and were difficult to work with.
I've been painting z foam sence the Pz cub came out in 06 and believe me if you rush any paint job before it dries you will pay. Krylon fusion and H20 are water based can spray that works very well on Z-foam. The water base is what keeps the foam from being melted. You can pick them up at any walmart or hardware store.
BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
"Oh the humanity!"
Clovis California
Joined Aug 2006
273 Posts
THIS IS NOT FRANKIE!!! Maiden Flight report on the Gunfighter.

Just came back from flights 2-4 on the new Gunfighter, and I must say, NICE PLANE!!!

I was shocked to speak with the guys at the LHS (Hobbytown USA, Fresno) and learn they had these planes on the shelf for 4-5 days, and had yet to sell one! I'm thinking this plane has an identity crisis.

Yes, this plane is the same size as "Fabulous Frankie" but that (and the pilot figure sitting in the cockpit) is where the similarity ends. (OK, the horizontal stabilizer looks pretty familiar too...but really, that's it!)

Parkzone has evolved alot in the last couple years, and it seems they took everything they've learned from the T-28 and the F4U and applied it to this airframe.

HITS

1. Z foam, nice sturdy construction. I noticed the second I mated the wing to the fuselage the huge improvement over all their past planes. There is a nice thick foam "shoulder" at the mating point that holds the wing snugly in place, even before you put the screw in. On their past planes, the fuselage basically just sits on the wing, with those two posts in the back and the screw in the front holding it on. This should fare much better on hard landings, and is a much more positive fit.

2. Bind and fly rocks!!!

3. Once assembled, the plane is surprizingly light!

4. The same 480 brushless that powers the other late generation warbirds instead of the anemic brushed motor in the original. I know there are tons of folks out there who can't wait to gut this bird and mount the electric equivilant of a Chrysler industrial V-8 on this thing, but I find the stock power with the new, slightly smaller prop to provide very respectable power and speed.

5. Gone is the "bomb bay" type battery compartment under the nose that was notorious for puking out the battery in flight on the old PKZ P51. The whole cockpit comes off the top, held in place by a couple of good beefy pins and a magnet. Much more refined fit than the T-28.

6. Flight Characteristics- While most of frankies problems might have been related to being over-weight and underpowered, face it, he was kind of a nightmare to fly. Frankies propensity for doing an inglorious torque roll as you hand launched him was legendary. Many a noob found this to be their first, and last attempt to fly this plane, as the old plastic skeleton airframe did not lend itself easily to repair. Add to this battery fade from the old NIMH packs, and you can probably account for the cause of a lot of crashes.

The Gunfighter has none of these flaws. My first flight I threw her a bit too low, (about level in fact) and she swooped alarmingly close to the ground before she got on step. 2nd flight and all those after I gave her a bit more up angle, and she flew off without so much as a wobble.

With the ailerons set in the factory holes, she is a little slow to roll, but moving the rods up a hole or two should take care of that.

Loops are clean. I was doing Cuban 8's 2 minutes into the Maiden flight...it inspired that much confidance! Stalls are well mannered and predictable. Despite it's light weight, she handles wind with aplomb. Don't forget this is a warbird...she picks up speed FAST in a dive!

In other words, she flies like you would expect the T28 to fly, if it had a much slicker aerodynamic and much lighter weight. FUN STUFF!!!

Put it into a high speed dive, and there is a very satisfying scream from the propeller cavitating.

MISSES

1. I was kinda disappointed that Parkzone went with the smaller ESC. The 18 amp stock ESC seems to do the job, but it defies the evolutionary process evident in the other planes, which started off with 25 and were later upgraded to 30 amps, and it's going to make me nervous when I add that 4th servo for rudder control. I'm sure a larger ESC would have expanded propeller choice as well. For $179 for the BNF, I should probably be embarrassed to complain about this or any of the items mentioned below.

2. While I understand there is nothing quite as pretty as a nice clean Mustang coming in for a high speed low altitude pass, it seems to me that the option of removable landing gear, like they did with the Corsair, might have been nice.

3. I realize it's no big deal, and that it was done as a cost saving measure, but making this plane 4 channels with the rudder right out of the box like it's siblings would have been nice. She flies awesome without it...just sayin'.

4. I find the Gunfighter nose art to be a little less than compelling, but I understand it's a historically accurate portrayal of an actual aircraft.

SUMMARY

For the price, and in the Parkflyer class, this is easily the best executed and refined P-51 I've ever seen. As far as value for the dollar goes, if you add up the cost of a Spectrum receiver, the motor, the servos and ESC, they are practically giving the foam away for free! I think as word spreads that this is indeed an entirely different animal than Parkzones previous P51, you'll be seeing a lot of them out there. I await the introduction of their next Warbird with rapt anticipation
Fyrcap59 is offline Find More Posts by Fyrcap59
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrcap59
THIS IS NOT FRANKIE!!! Maiden Flight report on the Gunfighter.

Just came back from flights 2-4 on the new Gunfighter, and I must say, NICE PLANE!!!

I was shocked to speak with the guys at the LHS (Hobbytown USA, Fresno) and learn they had these planes on the shelf for 4-5 days, and had yet to sell one! I'm thinking this plane has an identity crisis.

Yes, this plane is the same size as "Fabulous Frankie" but that (and the pilot figure sitting in the cockpit) is where the similarity ends. (OK, the horizontal stabilizer looks pretty familiar too...but really, that's it!)

Parkzone has evolved alot in the last couple years, and it seems they took everything they've learned from the T-28 and the F4U and applied it to this airframe.

HITS

1. Z foam, nice sturdy construction. I noticed the second I mated the wing to the fuselage the huge improvement over all their past planes. There is a nice thick foam "shoulder" at the mating point that holds the wing snugly in place, even before you put the screw in. On their past planes, the fuselage basically just sits on the wing, with those two posts in the back and the screw in the front holding it on. This should fare much better on hard landings, and is a much more positive fit.

2. Bind and fly rocks!!!

3. Once assembled, the plane is surprizingly light!

4. The same 480 brushless that powers the other late generation warbirds instead of the anemic brushed motor in the original. I know there are tons of folks out there who can't wait to gut this bird and mount the electric equivilant of a Chrysler industrial V-8 on this thing, but I find the stock power with the new, slightly smaller prop to provide very respectable power and speed.

5. Gone is the "bomb bay" type battery compartment under the nose that was notorious for puking out the battery in flight on the old PKZ P51. The whole cockpit comes off the top, held in place by a couple of good beefy pins and a magnet. Much more refined fit than the T-28.

6. Flight Characteristics- While most of frankies problems might have been related to being over-weight and underpowered, face it, he was kind of a nightmare to fly. Frankies propensity for doing an inglorious torque roll as you hand launched him was legendary. Many a noob found this to be their first, and last attempt to fly this plane, as the old plastic skeleton airframe did not lend itself easily to repair. Add to this battery fade from the old NIMH packs, and you can probably account for the cause of a lot of crashes.

The Gunfighter has none of these flaws. My first flight I threw her a bit too low, (about level in fact) and she swooped alarmingly close to the ground before she got on step. 2nd flight and all those after I gave her a bit more up angle, and she flew off without so much as a wobble.

With the ailerons set in the factory holes, she is a little slow to roll, but moving the rods up a hole or two should take care of that.

Loops are clean. I was doing Cuban 8's 2 minutes into the Maiden flight...it inspired that much confidance! Stalls are well mannered and predictable. Despite it's light weight, she handles wind with aplomb. Don't forget this is a warbird...she picks up speed FAST in a dive!

In other words, she flies like you would expect the T28 to fly, if it had a much slicker aerodynamic and much lighter weight. FUN STUFF!!!

Put it into a high speed dive, and there is a very satisfying scream from the propeller cavitating.

MISSES

1. I was kinda disappointed that Parkzone went with the smaller ESC. The 18 amp stock ESC seems to do the job, but it defies the evolutionary process evident in the other planes, which started off with 25 and were later upgraded to 30 amps, and it's going to make me nervous when I add that 4th servo for rudder control. I'm sure a larger ESC would have expanded propeller choice as well. For $179 for the BNF, I should probably be embarrassed to complain about this or any of the items mentioned below.

2. While I understand there is nothing quite as pretty as a nice clean Mustang coming in for a high speed low altitude pass, it seems to me that the option of removable landing gear, like they did with the Corsair, might have been nice.

3. I realize it's no big deal, and that it was done as a cost saving measure, but making this plane 4 channels with the rudder right out of the box like it's siblings would have been nice. She flies awesome without it...just sayin'.

4. I find the Gunfighter nose art to be a little less than compelling, but I understand it's a historically accurate portrayal of an actual aircraft.

SUMMARY

For the price, and in the Parkflyer class, this is easily the best executed and refined P-51 I've ever seen. As far as value for the dollar goes, if you add up the cost of a Spectrum receiver, the motor, the servos and ESC, they are practically giving the foam away for free! I think as word spreads that this is indeed an entirely different animal than Parkzones previous P51, you'll be seeing a lot of them out there. I await the introduction of their next Warbird with rapt anticipation
Great review. I definitely agree that for the price, it's hard to beat for the BNF. Crappy weather here. Gotta wait so I can test my flaps! I have a feeling it's just gonna drop to a stop w/ the flaps due to the design of the wing.
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2007
98 Posts
Fyrcap, excellent review! One other thing I would like to add is that Parkzone also added two servos for the ailerons instead of Frankies one servo. Makes a HUGE difference. I loved the looks of Frankie, but he really was a piece of CRAP! Just getting rid of the plastic skeleton and hollow wing are a blessing! Honestly, Frankie may as well have been made from tissue paper it was so dang fragile. Repairs were way too hard for a plane in this class. A hollow wing?! 5 wire servos?!?! Come on! Parkzone has made massive upgrades across the board with this plane, and managed to sell me the bind and fly vertion with that AR-500 receiver for the same price I used to pay for the old Frankie RTF!??!? Absolutely amazing.

I do agree with you that they absolutely should have done the same thing they did with the Corsair and make it where you could either plug in landing gear, or a skid plate and switch back and forth. Very very little cost added there. As for the ESC, I understand why they went with the 18a version to keep that cost down. Besides, if you are experienced enough that you want to upgrade, you most likely have a 30A ESC out of a crashed T28 anyway!

Final thought.....I ended up buying Frankie plus 3 replacement airframes over the last couple of years. The last replacement airframe was so badly put together it was actually funny! And it flies beyond horrible. As soon as you launch it, you spend the entire flight just trying to not crash! I just took it out of service, and made a static model out of it. I am SO looking forward to flying my new Gunfighter that I bought last weekend. I predict I'll be enjoying my new PZ Mustang as much as I have my T28 and Corsair.
JeffInDFW is offline Find More Posts by JeffInDFW
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:34 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I just got home from my maiden flights on the Gunfighter.

All I can say is wow.

Freaking wow!

I'll post a full review tomorrow (during working hours!) Gotta make me some dinner now!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Blythewood, SC
Joined Dec 2003
219 Posts
Well this was my first flight with a warbird. I flew it completely stock and it was great. The P-51 was a little nose heavy but I still managed to do some loops, rolls and land with it still in one piece---too cool. Will the stock Lipo and ESC handle a 9x9 prop?
Chipped Rotor is offline Find More Posts by Chipped Rotor
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:30 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
I took a look at swapping the motor out with an HC 3536C motor and the darned thing's too short. It'll take some spacers between the firewall and the motor to get it out far enough for the spinner to clear the cowl. I guess I'll head to True Value Hardware tomorrow and see what I can find.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped Rotor
Well this was my first flight with a warbird. I flew it completely stock and it was great. The P-51 was a little nose heavy but I still managed to do some loops, rolls and land with it still in one piece---too cool. Will the stock Lipo and ESC handle a 9x9 prop?
On the bench a 9x9E APC draws 22 amps with the stock motor. 10x7 only pulled 17 amps which might be OK for the stock ESC. The 10x7 flies really nice, good speed and easy hand launches.
Ping is offline Find More Posts by Ping
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Just got mine today, nice plane. One question, maybe Dave or someone from Horizon can answer. With the twin servo's for the ailerons and a computer tx does this plane need any differential added (like on the Corsair) for smoother response or are they set to the same throw. Thanks
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny