HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Maiden flight today. My daughter took the pics. Nice plane and everything went well

jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:03 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Nice pics.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
I'll second that!! Very-very nice.
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:22 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic
Nice pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias
I'll second that!! Very-very nice.

ill third that. very nice pics. your daughter takes really nice pics of a moving object. slr or compact?

if anything does happen (knock on wood), these things glue back together as nicely as the f4u/t-28. save the cowling, the phoenix has arisen.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Last edited by grimace308; Jun 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace308
ill third that. very nice pics. your daughter takes really nice pics of a moving object. slr or compact?

if anything does happen (knock on wood), these things glue back together as nicely as the f4u/t-28. save the cowling, the phoenix has arisen.
Glad to see it came together so nice!

I will pass on the picture compliments to my daughter. She is only 15 and seems to have a good eye for taking action shots. I know she will appreciate the kind words and at her age it really means a lot to be complimented / encouraged by "Older" people.

Thank you very much.
jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:22 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,268 Posts
She's got a bright future in photography!!

I've been "officially banned" from buying anything recreational for a while since my birthday is coming up. I was told, "do NOT go buy anymore planes yet."

I really hope it's because...... hmmm..... there's a Mustang in my future?

I'll have to wait until August 4th to find out. Talk about shear agony!!!!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:30 AM
Joined Nov 2007
98 Posts
Well, Jake, tell her there is another "older person" in Texas that was amazed at her photos of your plane! Holy Cow. That first one looks like a photo that Horizon would use on their web site to sell the plane! Encourage her to continue in photography as a hobby, and someday she just might make her living doing it. One of my dearest friends got sick of being the head of engineering for a radio network. She walked away and started a photography business. She says for the first time in her life, she is finally REALLY happy.
JeffInDFW is offline Find More Posts by JeffInDFW
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:00 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I've posted some of the "bragging rights" claims in the first post...

I finally got my Gunfighter yesterday afternoon. I think the guys at the LHS scrounged one up somewhere just so I would stop calling. Hey - I've only been pestering them about it constantly since the day it was announced - what? 2 months ago???

Unfortunately, between my lawyer meeting and a Boy Scout meeting later, I was not able to fly her. I did get some work done on her in-between stuff, then finished her when I got home. She is 100% ready to go now, with the 30 amp ESC and a MA 11x7 prop. This afternoon it will be an hour at the gym, then off to the field.

There are a couple things I noticed while doing the battery mod and assembling her. Most are probably obvious, but maybe these will help out someone.

1. The prop nut is 10mm. I have a spare 10mm box wrench now in my flight box.

2. APC props will not fit the stock spinner. Attempting to tighten them down will deform the spinner. I wonder if this may be behind a couple of the lost nose cone reports?

3. When removing the cowl, you must cut the red trim tape as well as the "Gunfighter" stickers.

4. The exhausts are totally removable and have tiny little camoflaged screws. beware when removing in the field.

5. A work stand is invaluable with this plane - something like this: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=ERN157 (available at my LHS for $10)

6. If changing the ESC, simply pull it aft. The wires are coiled up over it. You will need to remove the cowl and motor mount to access the motor connections.

7. The stock 18 amp ESC is identical in size to the Corsair's stock 30 amp E-Flite ESC.

8. When doing the mod of the larger battery, I melted/sanded out the foam aft of the original location, then installed a small balsa plate with 4 toothpick halves into the foam, and a velcro strap under it.

9. My rudder to fuselage connection was POOR! The foam was incredibly thin along most of the hinge line with many actual holes. If installing the rudder mod, tape the hinge!!!
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Last edited by ugly john; Jun 30, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:25 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
just picked one up 30 mins ago, too bad raining here how and for next 2 days.
Nice looking plane, only bad thing i had to buy the RTF version. no biggy ill just buy a new rx and bind to my dx5e later, just ordered 5 lipos from HOBBY CITY SAME SIZE as 1 that come with plane but only payed 60.00 with shipping.
Cant wait to try her out
xlrDALLAS is online now Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:32 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,740 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking about it but not sure how much I will like it stock, that is, might not be fast enough to suit me.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace308
im putting on boots, pants, bandanna, tx, water, sleeping bag, etc... and going on a nature hike in a bit. :/

EDIT:
mission was a success. i was never good with land nav and a compass, i was always the dead reckoning type. i walked straight in and right to the wreck. the battery was 20 feet away and the wing in a low tree. i gots' me a new tube of gorilla epoxy to try out and shell be up and running in no time. go figure, the wing servos are stripped.
Those pictures are eye candy to the guys who sell the plane parts.
Wastrel is offline Find More Posts by Wastrel
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Flaps

Anyone added flaps to their P51?

I just added flaps to my P51. Gotta five it a try and see how it land
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive
Anyone added flaps to their P51?

I just added flaps to my P51. Gotta five it a try and see how it land

First, you gotta throw us some pics!

You are the first that I have heard of...
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:10 PM
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
does anyone know where i can get spare props for this bird? looked everywhere i can think of cant find them
Im a prop buster need spares lol
thanks
ed
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:19 PM
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
nevermined i found them
thanks