HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:13 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Going with a battery that's capable of delivering more current doesn't mean that the motor/prop combination will pull that much more current. As long as you stick with the stock prop it will be fine. Only if you increase the size of the prop (diameter and/or pitch) will you have to change the ESC.
Dave this was with a 1350 3s lipo and it did pull over the 18amps

Quote:
Ok guy I had to check. I put in my 1350 propower and checked static ampdraw. This is with a bone stock PZ brushless p51.
(watts up meter)
241.7watts
11.94volts
20.03amps

This test was done for 20seconds at wot. The amps stayed above the 18amp the whole time. I guess the better battery can allow the motor to pull more poer than the esc can handle. I guess I have been very lucky .
Now I have been useing that battery since I got the plane and havent had an issue but I didnt know it was pulling so much
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Tommy D's Avatar
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Going with a battery that's capable of delivering more current doesn't mean that the motor/prop combination will pull that much more current.
Agreed, however if the "stock" battery is a bottle neck in the system, and you relieve the bottle neck

I still say put a meter on any system when ever you make any changes.

It's nice to hear it scoots on the Power 10, Mine has a Power 15 on 4S

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDale
Damn- that guy can F-L-Y. I felt like I was @ an Air show ( he was that smooth)
Yes, he is a very accomplished RC F-L-Yer!

Primarily because he goes to all AIR SHOWS in Florida!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AntonioSpeed#play/uploads

Check out his 2nd Video:

Park Zone P 51D Mustang Gun Fighter BigTonE Flight #2 07 03 09 (6 min 29 sec)
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jul 30, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
Registered User
Toppers's Avatar
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,947 Posts
Hi Jake,

I think your ride looks entirely repairable. Just take your time, one piece at a time. 5 min epoxy, Gorrila glue, popsicle sticks and thinner wooden coffee stirrers (thank you Starbucks and Second Cup) are my favorites materials.

You'll end up with some battlescars showing which just adds to the credentials of this great plane. And when she flys again, you will be prouder of her than ever.

Don't give up on her !!

Toppers
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2009
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Hi Jake,

I think your ride looks entirely repairable. Just take your time, one piece at a time. 5 min epoxy, Gorrila glue, popsicle sticks and thinner wooden coffee stirrers (thank you Starbucks and Second Cup) are my favorites materials.

You'll end up with some battlescars showing which just adds to the credentials of this great plane. And when she flys again, you will be prouder of her than ever.

Don't give up on her !!

Toppers
Thanks for the words of encouragement. For me, it is not a question of IF it is repairable, it is a matter of do I want to spend the time?

Honestly, having cut my fly/repair/fly/repair teeth on two PZ Corsairs, I have become quite adept at repairing and working with Z foam. On this P-51 I just don't have it in me to glue it all back together. Some large foam pieces are missing and the only way to attach the wing would be to make it permanantly attached as the plastic attachment piece on the front of the wing was ripped completely out and is missing.

Going to start all over with this one...
jake48 is offline Find More Posts by jake48
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:18 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Subscribing here as I want one of these...probably go the parts route and put it together myself.

Anyone got a shot of the stock motor with the cowl off? Didn't find one in the attachments.

Thanks,
Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
Brandon
hoverflyhehe's Avatar
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake48
Hover - I think my "Baller" status has been revoked. It"s hard to be a playa when your favorite G ride is in pieces...

See this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=782

I know what you mean about getting ripped on shipping. To get around that, however, all you have to do is go to your local Hobby People store, have them order it and they will not charge you shipping. Took three days from the day I ordered two spinners to the day I had them in my hot little hands
Let me know if you go to get rid of the pieces after you pull the electrics out, I am looking for sections of z-foam to practice making smooth and also fiber glassing. What is left of the wing and tail would be great for that.

As far as the hobby people issue, I think the closest one is in Reno which is a 8 hour drive. I don't have any in my state, or even close in the states that surround me. They can keep their $10+ dollars for shipping, Hobby Lobby sent my props clear from Tennessee for like $4 bucks! (and fast too)
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
Registered User
Portage Michigan
Joined May 2006
206 Posts
Rob,


lookin to make a little magic motor mount for this also? I really like flyin mine , the t28 gets little attention now and I just put a new airframe on the t28, you will like it. I did the BNF and ended up selling the rx, esc and battery. ended up with a $100 plane in the end. FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Subscribing here as I want one of these...probably go the parts route and put it together myself.

Anyone got a shot of the stock motor with the cowl off? Didn't find one in the attachments.

Thanks,
Rob
steelydan is offline Find More Posts by steelydan
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:34 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydan
Rob,


lookin to make a little magic motor mount for this also? I really like flyin mine , the t28 gets little attention now and I just put a new airframe on the t28, you will like it. I did the BNF and ended up selling the rx, esc and battery. ended up with a $100 plane in the end. FWIW
Whatever do you mean...Dan...You must be thinking about someone else.

Actually yes. I wonder if this bird shared some parts from the T-28/F4u. Looks like maybe not because of the smaller nose for the scale V12 engine.

But now more months in my less than 1 year ol RC life I have plenty of servos, motors, Rx, batteries, etc to build one from parts. Really like the Miss America paint job on one.

So yeah, I might be spending more time here soon! As soon as I figure out where to hide this one!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:35 PM
Registered User
AirDale's Avatar
Western New York
Joined Mar 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Yes, he is a very accomplished RC F-L-Yer!

Primarily because he goes to all AIR SHOWS in Florida!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AntonioSpeed#play/uploads

Check out his 2nd Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCpRZLqxh1A

I just LOVE to watch that guy fly!! It's like a choreographed dance, he knows what maneuvers he's gonna throw and smoothly transitions from one to the next! Unlike my Herky/Jerky style(or lack of). Very nice!

Yeah, I'm a newbie and easily impressed I guess but I've watched ALOT of YouTube and Vimeo and he definitely stands out. (IMO)
AirDale is offline Find More Posts by AirDale
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:00 PM
Registered User
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,672 Posts
New Parkzone BNF, Miss America is uo for sale***

Hi Guys ,
My New unflown ParkZone P-51 Mustang BNF with Rudder servo, is for sale! One of a Kind***
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:04 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson
Hi Guys ,
My New unflown ParkZone P-51 Mustang BNF with Rudder servo, is for sale! One of a Kind***
Joe
$?

might i inquire as to why?
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 08:59 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
eschult's Avatar
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Just got mine today and started w/ the mods. I have not fully read through the 50+ pages so If I am repeating this just let me know. I was able to put a 2200 mah lipo in w/o cutting into the fuse. I just cut away that little bar in the canopy, kept the stock strap and added a peice of velcro to hold the back of the battery down. It sits at a slight angle but does not move and the canopy fits back on perfect. Is this going to throw my CG off, has anyone tried this way yet. I hate to make a mistake that someone has already called out.
Thanks,Eric
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:04 PM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult
Just got mine today and started w/ the mods. I have not fully read through the 50+ pages so If I am repeating this just let me know. I was able to put a 2200 mah lipo in w/o cutting into the fuse. I just cut away that little bar in the canopy, kept the stock strap and added a peice of velcro to hold the back of the battery down. It sits at a slight angle but does not move and the canopy fits back on perfect. Is this going to throw my CG off, has anyone tried this way yet. I hate to make a mistake that someone has already called out.
Thanks,Eric
You will most likely need to add a bit of weight to the tail. I trimmed the inside of the hatch to fit my stack of 1800ma batts same as you. I ended up adding 7 grams to the tail to keep the CG spot on.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
could someone please tell me what the dimensions of the "Stock" battery are thanks

?L X ?W X ?H

also if sticking with a stock plane set up, what replacement batteries are people using?

thanks for any help

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yippee! Official Parkzone P-51 Owner's Thread Part 2 Ferocious Franki Parkflyers 15 Apr 02, 2014 11:22 AM
Alert Parkzone P 51 Mustang peiviper Electric Plane Talk 35 Sep 14, 2009 12:48 AM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread monitor Parkflyers 913 Oct 04, 2005 09:02 PM
For Sale Parkzone P-51 Mustang argarre Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 20, 2005 10:57 AM
Parkzone P-51 Mustang wattman Parkflyers 453 Feb 20, 2005 12:48 AM