SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:22 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
655 Posts
After a series of clicks onto the link trying to open it, it finally downloaded the video.

That was quite funny actually. Soo funny!!! "It goes 100mph" thats all that matters.

HAHA. The century mark is what you have to achieve!
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Lol! I usually don't download stuff like that, but was worth the risk.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Feb 04, 2011, 06:36 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Im tossing up between doing the PZ Corsair L/G or not.

I only fly on long grass and Hand Launch my Super Cub but land on gear (it usually noses over though).

Does the P51 BL comes with a skid plate?, Any extra reinforcement it would need? Just tape it up a bit? Glass it? Kevlar cloth?
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:00 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
Too funny! (It goes 100 mph ... lmao)
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Feb 04, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Im tossing up between doing the PZ Corsair L/G or not.

I only fly on long grass and Hand Launch my Super Cub but land on gear (it usually noses over though).

Does the P51 BL comes with a skid plate?, Any extra reinforcement it would need? Just tape it up a bit? Glass it? Kevlar cloth?
Yea the skid plate is in a good spot. I would suggest covering the servo horns on the wings. I stripped out 2 servos before I finally got theses: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7010

Also might want to run a strip of packing tape down the leading edge of the wing. I nicked my wings up a bit on some dry weeds before I did that. It also adds some strength.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:08 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
your best bet to a real idea is set-up a tripod camera OR set it on the ground facing up,do 4 passes in each direction over the camera about 20ft or lower if you can,post what the set up is batts motor prop esc,Im sure I could get it dopplerd for you by someone,put it on youtube provide a link for the video.
Also what size is the c rating of the batts your running?
also if you could show the plane in the video at launch with no editing in it.
With this done your average speed from both directions will be given as estimated speed.
Looking forward to seeing this
I don't have a tripod, but I have hd camera that records in real speed, film mode 24fps

It will be unedited, all I have is windows movie maker software

Scorpion 3014-18 motor modded case, cc ice 75, hyperion vx 35c batterys 5s total,, 1x-2s. 1x3s in series
aeronaut prop, modded

Not sure im gona find the exact specs on the prop but looks like a 10x8
fusionsx00 is offline Find More Posts by fusionsx00
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:19 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
Fusion,
sounds like it should be pretty quick,Im on a dial up internet service.....I know,I know where the hell are you,in the boonies lol,anyway there are quite a few doppler programs to be downloaded,there is even one for Android cell phones,you just open the app when your going to do your fly by and it returns your speed right after the pass.
You will need to be close to the camera when you do these passes due to the low sound of the outrunner,they work good on innrunner applications due to the high pitch sound,anyway atleast this will give you a really good average speed that your f4f can do.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
Fusion,
sounds like it should be pretty quick,Im on a dial up internet service.....I know,I know where the hell are you,in the boonies lol,anyway there are quite a few doppler programs to be downloaded,there is even one for Android cell phones,you just open the app when your going to do your fly by and it returns your speed right after the pass.
You will need to be close to the camera when you do these passes due to the low sound of the outrunner,they work good on innrunner applications due to the high pitch sound,anyway atleast this will give you a really good average speed that your f4f can do.
I know prop planes have a problem showing up on the Doppler apps.
Would it work if you rigged up some kind of high pitched buzzer to set off the radar apps?
Old Feb 05, 2011, 09:44 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
224 Posts
, I just ordered my p51 motor, Scorpion SII-3014-830KV (V2)
4s, 30amp esc, gona run a 11x5e prop
1825 g thrust, 10050 rpm
should be fairly quick

I talked to my buddy that helped me on my f4f

He doesn't remember if that's the exact motor in the f4f, and it was rewound
By a tech at hacker motors, but he insists it iis close to 100mph.
he said my prop rpm is around 12000, im fairly new to setups, but I've been flying edf's for 3 years
so im a speed demon.
Last edited by fusionsx00; Feb 05, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:24 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
I know prop planes have a problem showing up on the Doppler apps.
Would it work if you rigged up some kind of high pitched buzzer to set off the radar apps?
yes they do have trouble to show on the doppler's BUT if you can get close enough to the camera,you may be able to get a reading,so the lower you get to the camera the better your chance of it reading.So setting it up on some sort of tri-pod or something to elevate the cam then you should be able to get a few feet above it.I have not used the phone app. yet but it would be the easiest and quikest way other than downloading the video and using a lt or pc. the pc versions are probly more acurate though. +/- 5mph on the app. one?
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:17 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
Earlier in this post, eflite rep said he ras on a 30 amp esc?
motor specs call for a 35 to 40 amp esc, max amp at 40
average at 32amps, will a 30 be ok?
It all depends on what prop you install. The Trojan prop (9.5x7.5) they used is fine with 30A. I'm using an MAS 10x8 nitro prop (not the 'e' version) and measure 32A WOT - safe with just a little throttle mgmt. It cruises just fine at 50%.
jdwolters is online now Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:03 PM
USA, IL, Grayslake
Joined Nov 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
Yea the skid plate is in a good spot. I would suggest covering the servo horns on the wings. I stripped out 2 servos before I finally got theses: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7010

Also might want to run a strip of packing tape down the leading edge of the wing. I nicked my wings up a bit on some dry weeds before I did that. It also adds some strength.
I've added packing tape to all my planes at this point. It's simple, adds virtually no weight, and really helps protect/strengthen the wing. I've covered the whole leading edge and bottom of the wing though.
Fenrir is offline Find More Posts by Fenrir
Old Feb 05, 2011, 06:51 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Quote:
, I just ordered my p51 motor, Scorpion SII-3014-830KV (V2)
4s, 30amp esc, gona run a 11x5e prop
1825 g thrust, 10050 rpm
should be fairly quick

I talked to my buddy that helped me on my f4f

He doesn't remember if that's the exact motor in the f4f, and it was rewound
By a tech at hacker motors, but he insists it iis close to 100mph.
he said my prop rpm is around 12000, im fairly new to setups, but I've been flying edf's for 3 years
so im a speed demon.
If you're a speed demon, why are you going with an 11" prop? That small. airframe sure doesn't need the extra thrust. Trade some diameter for additional pitch. A 10x7, 9x7.5 or even a 10x8 or 9x9 would likely be great with that power setup. Certainly a lot faster, and still with plenty of thrust.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:50 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
224 Posts
Like I said im new to setups, according to the motors specs
at that voltage, that's the fastest setup without overloading it, on the motor spec sheet, again at that voltage, the smallest prop is a 8x8 with a crappy 892 g/thrust, most of the props on the sheet are 10, or 11" they have a 9x9 listed but it can only be used at full power for a short time, and it has the similar specs to the 11" im using.
I guess I could just try abunch of diffrent props, see which is fastest(only ones they have listed)
here is the prop info web page for my motor,,,look at the 14 volt page, 2 down,, http://www.scorpionsystem.com/files/...data_chart.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
If you're a speed demon, why are you going with an 11" prop? That small. airframe sure doesn't need the extra thrust. Trade some diameter for additional pitch. A 10x7, 9x7.5 or even a 10x8 or 9x9 would likely be great with that power setup. Certainly a lot faster, and still with plenty of thrust.
Last edited by fusionsx00; Feb 05, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:06 PM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Like I said im new to setups, according to the motors specs
at that voltage, that's the fastest setup without overloading it
Scorpions are hard to kill!

If you could squeeze a 5S in there then you could try cutting down an APC-9x9e to 8x9

Should get you around 110mph on 1400g thrust, for 35A and 600W.

...though launching with that weight and torque will be difficult, you will need a buddy to give it a good heave or use a bungie.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous