HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
What brand batteries do you guys use? I've heard the Zippy ones from HobbyKing are pretty damn good and out perform many big-name brands, at a fraction the cost. Only problem is you'll likely have to attach your own terminals (As an EE, not an issue). Anyone used them and had similar results?
My past favorite were Rhinos from HobbyKing. However, I've been reading excellent reviews on GenAce from NitroPlanes. Some independent testings show their 25C to perform as well as 40C of other brands. They can also handle high C charge rates. However, my 6 months to 2.5 yr old Rhinos are still doing well so I'm not in the market to buy but if I were, GenAce would be the brand I'd get.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:22 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I tried the T-28 prop a couple of times. It actually works OK and is probably a good choice with a 30 amp ESC.

I had already been using the 10x7 and 10x8 and I could tell the Mustang was not a fast on the T-28. Plenty fast, but still noticeable difference.

The Ice lite 50 is telling me I peak out in the low 40's for amps with the 10x8, but the average is in the upper 30's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
You can also try an MAS 10x7 and 10x8 STD prop (not the 'e' series) - these have max current of 30 and 33A respectively. That's right up to the limit for continuous output on your 30A ESC but I am assuming that you won't hold WOT so it should be fine (works for me!).

Ps: the 10x8 is more fun
Thanks for the input, guys! Based on the footage of your P-51 motor comparisons, I'm assuming that you're running the 10x8 in that video, JD? Looked amazingly fast. I'll give that prop a try then. Cheers!
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:30 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
You can also try an MAS 10x7 and 10x8 STD prop (not the 'e' series) - these have max current of 30 and 33A respectively. That's right up to the limit for continuous output on your 30A ESC but I am assuming that you won't hold WOT so it should be fine (works for me!).

Ps: the 10x8 is more fun
I should've asked the first time. Can someone point me in the direction of these two props? MAS 10x7 and 10x8 STD? I thought the latter was a stock P-51 prop...but those are 9x6. thanks!
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
Old Jan 31, 2011, 03:18 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,027 Posts
Tower Hobbies has the MAS (Master Air Screw) props if you can't find them locally. Get a few extra to help dilute the shipping.

STD I think means standard which would be a nitro prop, vs an electric prop. I've only used the "Electric" version, so I can't comment on the difference.
Sounds like the nitro might be a good option.

Here's the one I use in 10x8
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAPW9&P=SM

Since I'm using the Power 10 motor, it has a larger prop adapter, which means I have to ream out the prop hub to fit. If you are using the stock adapter, you may not need to enlarge the hole, I can't remember, but a prop reamer will come in handy sooner or later.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXG940&P=ML
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:26 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
STD I think means standard which would be a nitro prop, vs an electric prop. I've only used the "Electric" version, so I can't comment on the difference. Sounds like the nitro might be a good option.

Here's the one I use in 10x8
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAPW9&P=SM
Yes, that's it exactly: the standard 10x8 for nitro planes:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ967&P=7

The blades are a little narrower and draw a little less power. Click on the two links above to see the difference. The 'e' series also says "for electric only" on the blades.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:23 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Hey Guys

Just wondering what you would think of this Setup over stock.

APC 10x7 prop
Turnigy Trust 70 AMP ESC
Turnigy 2200mah 30c Batteries.

Would this overpower the stock motor?
Would I see a decent power increase?
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:18 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Cloaked,

The prop and battery are fine. The ESC is overkill, I would use (do use) a 40A ESC.

The prop isn't much different to the stock one... so the power increase will mainly be coming from the better battery... it won't be a massive difference.

If you want a significant difference with the stock motor, go with a 4s battery and a 9x6 prop.

If you want to stick with 3s batteries, then you need to consider motor upgrade options... Turnigy 35-30 1100 (good 50% boost); Turnigy 35-30 1400 (crazy speed and power); Turnigy 35-36 1100 (crazy power); EFlite P10; HK G10; HK G15... etc...
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:24 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post

APC 10x7 prop
Turnigy Trust 70 AMP ESC

Running a 70a ESC with the stock motor is overkill, IMO. I run a 40a ESC with my Power 10. If you're going to upgrade go ahead and invest in another motor such as the 35-36 or Power 10. I'm running the Power 10 and my buddy is getting a 35-36 for his so we'll be able to do some side-by-side comparisons of the two upgrades. We currently fly our Mustangs with stock props but I'll be trying out some different props (9.5x75 from T-28 as well as some of the MAS 10x7 and 10x8 props) in the future.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:31 AM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
The prop isn't much different to the stock one... ...
Oops.. wrong thread (I was thinking Trojan)... the 10x8 will be a good increase in power and speed over stock.

Certainly worth doing before you go to the hassle of changing motors.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:33 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
My past favorite were Rhinos from HobbyKing. However, I've been reading excellent reviews on GenAce from NitroPlanes. Some independent testings show their 25C to perform as well as 40C of other brands. They can also handle high C charge rates. However, my 6 months to 2.5 yr old Rhinos are still doing well so I'm not in the market to buy but if I were, GenAce would be the brand I'd get.
Ditto on the Rhino's. I've got 5 x 2250 mah (3 are 25C, 2 are 30C) Rhino's that are still going strong after about 8 months of almost constant WOT flying. I really like 'em and they've never let me down. And you can get 3 of them for the price of one PZ 1800mah lipo.
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:41 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Oops.. wrong thread (I was thinking Trojan)... the 10x8 will be a good increase in power and speed over stock.

Certainly worth doing before you go to the hassle of changing motors.
Careful on the 10x8...I swapped my stock P-51BL prop for a MAS 10x8 momentarily and it flew fine, just started getting an "overheated" smell from the stock motor. I think the 10x8 causes a bit of torque stress on the motor if you tend to fly WOT most of the time. I found the MAS 10x7 to be a perfect mix of speed and torque. I was just eyeballing it, but I think the 10x7 is actually faster--this should hit the motors "sweet spot" assuming you are still using the stock 480. I've been using this setup for about 6 months now and she flies perfect for my taste. Also, I should note I upgraded the stock ESC from 18A to a 30A I had spare from my PZ Corsair. Once you start changing out props, you really need to consider upgrading your ESC...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Hey Guys

Just wondering what you would think of this Setup over stock.

APC 10x7 prop
Turnigy Trust 70 AMP ESC

The only thing that would overpower a motor is the prop.
The prop is what determines how much the motor will end up pulling
in terms of both Watts and Amps.

The ESC and Battery will need to be able to handle the amps and watts.
The battery may raise the watts and amps, but only slightly, and that's
only because a better battery will be able to provide more "Juice" when the
motor demands it, while a crapier battery will chocke, causing the numbers to
sag lower.

But neither the ESC nor the Battery are what dictates what the motor will
demand as far as watts and amps. It's the prop that does that.

That's the basics of Electronics (the "ABCs"). There's tons more to take into account.

Good luck.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:54 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
neither the ESC nor the Battery are what dictates what the motor will demand as far as watts and amps.
Actually, I think higher discharge lipos (looking at the "C" rating) will up the amperage a little, no? Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken...

I agree the biggest factor on amp draw is the prop size/dimensions.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:21 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,371 Posts
Normally, with a higher C rated battery, yes, the amps will increase slightly. This is due to the ability of the battery to maintain its voltage better under load. As the voltage increases, the amp draw also increases (assuming the same prop of course). This is only a relatively minor change, however, since the change in voltage is also typically minor.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
Ditto on the Rhino's. I've got 5 x 2250 mah (3 are 25C, 2 are 30C) Rhino's that are still going strong after about 8 months of almost constant WOT flying. I really like 'em and they've never let me down. And you can get 3 of them for the price of one PZ 1800mah lipo.
Same here, 4 of the 2250's had them about 6 months, run them down to 3.5V and they are all still working great.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief