HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:14 PM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasredrider
I ordered this mount for my 35-36c. his mounts are pretty good and light. I can't wait to mount up my motor and see what it'll do!!

BTW, does the wing NOT have any kind of spar at all??!?!?
I've looked at the wing with a high power light and I can't see any kind of spar. The wing is also very flexible, I guess we won't know for sure until someone crashes one and posts pictures of the inside of the wing. It's making me very nervous to power up this mustang if the wing has no spar.

Adding a spar looks very simple I already have the carbon tube. Due to the dihedral in the wing though I will have to fill the center with something hence my question. Gorilla glue was my first choice also however I'm worried it will be too heavy.

Tried a 10x7 APC-E today only 17 amps static, 9x9 or even 10x10 seems like they could be a winner but my LHS is out of stock on them.
Ping is offline Find More Posts by Ping
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:15 PM
Eggs @ Tea
Dover DE USA
Joined Feb 2007
506 Posts
the small prop will always sound faster as it spins up faster, but it lower the amp draw so you can use the 1300 pack
SmoothCruizer2 is offline Find More Posts by SmoothCruizer2
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:53 AM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Here's a few photos of my 2200mAH mod. Note that the first few steps are the same as Ping's - I removed foam towards the receiver to allow the battery to sit far enough back for the CG to be correct.

Basically what I did was use a piece of thick balsa, sanded it down until it was wedge shaped, used thick CA to glue it into the fuse (gorilla glue would work here as well), hardened the surface with some thin CA and stuck velcro to it.
How much cutting did you do to the bottom and how did you determine your CL, did you go 2 3/4 off the leading edge
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:46 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
got to the field and was doing left hand ovals, practicing landing approaches. while there was wind, it wasnt any worse than weve flown in before. it was steady and not gusting...perfect crosswind landing practice.

so, im making my 180 for final approach and at about 1/2 way through the turn, it starts violently rolling to the left and no amount of right stick would stop the roll. valiently trying to bring the wings level, i was also in the process of trying to gain altitude, so i could have a couple more rounds in this flight, but it had made up its mind and danced off into the trees.

after i got home the aviation weather report said 28 with 33mph gusts and despite my comments in the vid, i believe in my heart it was not the wind... but ive been wrong before. weve flown in similar condition just fine and it did the first 270 degrees of the pattern just fine. oh well.

doh!
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Last edited by grimace308; Jun 29, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:53 AM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
Did you bring your TX with you? You could have gave it throttle to locate that stang by the noise.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.
BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:54 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTonE
Did you bring your TX with you? You could have gave it throttle to locate that stang by the noise.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.
im putting on boots, pants, bandanna, tx, water, sleeping bag, etc... and going on a nature hike in a bit. :/

EDIT:
mission was a success. i was never good with land nav and a compass, i was always the dead reckoning type. i walked straight in and right to the wreck. the battery was 20 feet away and the wing in a low tree. i gots' me a new tube of gorilla epoxy to try out and shell be up and running in no time. go figure, the wing servos are stripped.
Last edited by grimace308; Jun 29, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
Believe me, I understand what you have to do. I went on the hike this weekend for one of my planes. I came out of the woods with my dry plane and swamp soaked socks. My Clubs feild map.

Wish you luck!
Tony,
BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,903 Posts
i had to do that once with my p38. Except I found it 200' up in a tree. Nothing my 36" Husky couldn't handle
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Hi!
What does everyone think about this battery for the P51.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

Rhino 2150mAh 3S1P 20C Lipoly Pack

Capacity: 2150mAh
Constant discharge: 20C
Burst rate: 30C (15sec)
Configuration: 3S 11.1v
Pack size: 113x35x25mm
Weight: 186g
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:57 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
grimace - ouch! I feel your pain. The bright side is it looks repairable, some pretty clean breaks.
skywarp1 is online now Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace308
im putting on boots, pants, bandanna, tx, water, sleeping bag, etc... and going on a nature hike in a bit. :/

great idea by the way. turn tx on with throttle at med level and it should beep, telling me the throttle isnt on low

EDIT:
mission was a success. i was never good with land nav and a compass, i was always the dead reckoning type. i walked straight in and right to the wreck. the battery was 20 feet away and the wing in a low tree. i gots' me a new tube of gorilla epoxy to try out and shell be up and running in no time. go figure, the wing servos are stripped.
Hey,
Try to glue everything together. It would be interesting to see if you ca fly it after a crash like that.
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:32 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
I've looked at the wing with a high power light and I can't see any kind of spar. The wing is also very flexible, I guess we won't know for sure until someone crashes one and posts pictures of the inside of the wing. It's making me very nervous to power up this mustang if the wing has no spar.
take a gander about an inch away from the servo wire channel. it looks to be a stiffening strut of some sorts. i wouldnt have thought parkzone to leave a bare wing, knowing what a lot of people are going to do to their stangs.

its on the left side of the pic, right next to the tape/paint line. poked around and theres something solid in there.

edit: oh yeah, its fine. epoxied and good as new. the phoenix shall rise again. itll fly just fine. i might glass portions of the inside fuse, to take some stress of the epoxy joint.
Last edited by grimace308; Jun 29, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:34 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
My LHS has them in stock now. I just think it wont be any better than my F4U. I already have an upgraded motor,esc and I can fit a 3300 pack. Is the rudder an easy add on? Anyone get some radar runs yet?
bhoges17 is offline Find More Posts by bhoges17
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:55 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrive
Hi!
What does everyone think about this battery for the P51.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

Rhino 2150mAh 3S1P 20C Lipoly Pack

Capacity: 2150mAh
Constant discharge: 20C
Burst rate: 30C (15sec)
Configuration: 3S 11.1v
Pack size: 113x35x25mm
Weight: 186g
I have 3 of those packs that are 9 months old for use in my helicopters. Each has roughly 50 cycles on them (I mark then after each use). They have been great.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoges17
My LHS has them in stock now. I just think it wont be any better than my F4U. I already have an upgraded motor,esc and I can fit a 3300 pack. Is the rudder an easy add on? Anyone get some radar runs yet?
Rudder is very easy just remember to hinge tape it. I know there is another thread that address how fast you can get this bird to. As for me got my speed controller in, balanced her out for 2200 battery, addded a new prop and looked at the weather, rain for 5 days what the .... .... Only in Western NY. All I can do is read about all the fun everyone else is having Anyone come what with ideas for landing gear yet, I hate to hand throw
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539