HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:08 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Nice work! Thanks for the photos!!! For those doing the rudder if you have a floppy disc laying around break it open and cut the disc into strips. Then you can slot the rudder on both sides with a sharp hobby knife and use a drop of thick CA to set the "hinge" into place. Voila! No more tape flapping in the wind!
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:23 AM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
481 Posts
WARNING
Their is an error in the manual on page 10! The pictures for the elevator direction ARE INCORRECT. The text is correct. When you pull the elevator stick back your elevator should move UP.
Ping is offline Find More Posts by Ping
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Here's a few photos of my 2200mAH mod. Note that the first few steps are the same as Ping's - I removed foam towards the receiver to allow the battery to sit far enough back for the CG to be correct.

Basically what I did was use a piece of thick balsa, sanded it down until it was wedge shaped, used thick CA to glue it into the fuse (gorilla glue would work here as well), hardened the surface with some thin CA and stuck velcro to it.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:54 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
WARNING
Their is an error in the manual on page 10! The pictures for the elevator direction ARE INCORRECT. The text is correct. When you pull the elevator stick back your elevator should move UP.
good catch. btw, what are instructions?

let me preface this by saying that i have an ENORMOUS ego, this was way beyond my skill level and i should have gone straight to jail, do not pass go.
my 2 crashes that were from lack of skill, were wind related, so wind is my white whale. the wind was gusting between 15-20mph, but i wanted to fly so badly, i figured i could handle it. the camera is resting in a hole cut in the bill of a hat and thats why the vid quality sucks. it is just a camera that takes vids, not a video camera. its bad enough that you should watch it, if you so choose to watch, in large screen and HD. there is an "OH sh##" moment towards the end...laugh all you want. the flag pic and the tree vids give an idea of wind speed. i flew for (x2) 1 min runs and went home. it was 2, too many.

the purpose of this vid is to hopeful show 3 things. with a corsair setup it is pretty quick, not horizon hobby matty power 10 quick, but a 30 second corsair part swap quick, which is pretty fast. even in stupid strong wind, it behaves well and while it was doing the forbidden dance, it was controllable...for the most part. even for the most ham fisted flyer (me), landing is brainless. landing is so easy, im thinking of reversing all my servos to see it i can bring it down in fewer than 4 pieces

this is just my opinion, but with the corsair mod, it is way faster than my buddies stock t-28, or my f4u w/ tr 35-42c 1000 and an 11x5.5. id say its 11x7 quick, but this is just eyeballing it.
almost crash due to wind...and ego
how windy it is
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Last edited by grimace308; Jun 28, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:53 AM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
Great stuff Ping!!!! Keep us posted on the retracts! I am going out this morning for my maiden flight! Dave
nov is offline Find More Posts by nov
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:05 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Grimace - not bad camera work at all!

Love that oops moment towards the end. How in the world did you not cuss on video with that one? I know- you had to edit that part out, right?

That was some pretty serious wind there. I just looked, and tomorrow it looks like 11 mph winds in the afternoon when I get my "Stang. Not nearly what you had to deal with.
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:12 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
Quote:
WARNING
Good catch. The parties responsible will be flogged.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:17 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Good catch. The parties responsible will be flogged.

David
Please post vid!...
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,969 Posts
New owners keep the vids coming

I wont be getting mine till next month so I need more video etc to hold me over. I have a sweet setup with my father that every summer I travel to his house and do some sort of home remodel project. This year it is a garage remodel/repair. As payment he usually hooks me up with a new airframe. Its a way he can "pay" me since he knows I wont take his money. My whole Parkzone fleet came to me this way. hehe
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
I wont be getting mine till next month so I need more video etc to hold me over.
i hope some others start posting vids, as i dont want to hog this thread with the n00bstang.

its going to be super windy next week, but id like to get video of...
a straight field race between a t-28 w/powerup 480 plus running 10x5 and the corsair modded stang. a race against an f4u turnigy35-42c 1000 w/ 11x7. some decent low speed flybys, demonstrating low speed handling. a mid level pitch stall to show the neutral stall characteristics. a full power level to vertical climb. dead stick landing. an attempt to instigate a spin.

it was dancing so much, i couldnt tell how effective the rudder was, but it did invoke, some yaw.

ugly. the wind caught it and rolled it over so quickly i didnt have time to say anything.

this is my UBER stable camera platform, used when im flying solo. the camera goes into the hole and the hat goes on my head. it looks as foolish as youre imagining right now.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Last edited by grimace308; Jun 28, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
481 Posts
A carbon spar is next up. What is a good filler for Z-Foam?
Ping is offline Find More Posts by Ping
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
Mines faster than your's
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2007
729 Posts
I ordered this mount for my 35-36c. his mounts are pretty good and light. I can't wait to mount up my motor and see what it'll do!!

BTW, does the wing NOT have any kind of spar at all??!?!?
Texasredrider is offline Find More Posts by Texasredrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:53 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
I believe it was Eric at Horizon who told me that you can fit a TP 2100 Pro Lite in without any problem, and it shouldn't effect the CG. Anybody try one yet?

Grimace,
That was a great vid!! At the 1:02 mark I thought it was toast!! Looked like you rolled in, then... ziiiiing!! there it was. I didn't here you say anything, but I did!! lol
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Jun 28, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:55 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Quote:
A carbon spar is next up. What is a good filler for Z-Foam?

I know most folks use the various "Epoxy's" but on all my Z-Foam birds if it's a large break/crack I use Gorilla Glue. Works great, even if it does have the expanding/foaming effect. Nothing a couple minutes with an exacto knife can't take care of.
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:01 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Hot Glue works GREAT!!!! We fixed KUngfu's F4U that way at the field on Friday. Only draw back is if it sits in the heat for long periods of time.

VERY interested to see how the retract mod goes.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam