HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Vacaville, CA
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam
My brother (Rhino5) says the same thing..... I agree. This plane is just a dream to fly.

Have you guys noticed how peoples descriptions of how this thing flys is pretty darn similar to how the real pilots describe the real Mustang?

Guess that means it's pretty accurate!

I just wish they'd get the FW 190 switched over to Z-Foam soon. Rumor is they are with the 190 & Spit. Now we just need a P-47!!

Still, I could have 20 of these Mustangs in my hanger and want one more.

Like you I am thinking of buying another! I'm glad that nobody else was around when I was flying, I was smiling like a little kid!
that_dude is offline Find More Posts by that_dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:01 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,740 Posts
Moonbeam,
Awesome job. A coworker of mine is the nephew of "Meatball Rap II" of Tuskegee. Great to see you included that pic!!! I built a plastic scale of his uncle's plane but never got around to making custom decals for it. I discovered RC and haven't touched a plastic model kit since
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:10 AM
Mountain View, CA
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaRendezvous
Yeah filler was a mix of slow set epoxy and micro balloons, then under coat, then silver acrylic, and finally a sealer coat of satin acrylic.

Mike.
Wow, looks awesome, great job.

How many hours did it take to get it smooth? Any idea how much weight this added? I'm very interested in doing this as well, thanks.
JamesLopez is offline Find More Posts by JamesLopez
Old Sep 19, 2009, 01:55 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Reno birds are UP!!!

O.K., you asked for em, you got em!!!! Reno paint schemes are up and ready to pick from.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1112761&page=2
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:34 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLopez
Wow, looks awesome, great job.

How many hours did it take to get it smooth? Any idea how much weight this added? I'm very interested in doing this as well, thanks.

Thanks James, have some bad news to report, I re-maidened her this morning, unfortunately a strong gust of wind hit just after launch, she rolled onto her back and returned to mother earth with a thud

...as to your questions, it added about 3oz in weight, and took 4 weeks to complete, I probably put in an hour a day, some times less some time more, waiting for things to dry was the biggest hold up, but you must have patients or the results will be poor! To be honest, I donít think I would spend so much time finishing a foamy again, I'm a little shattered at the moment.

Mike.
LunaRendezvous is offline Find More Posts by LunaRendezvous
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:58 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
I just placed an order from MyAtomic for the $68 replacement airframe kit . Time to join this thread.

I'm planning on using a Turnigy 35-30C 1100kv with a 10x8MAS prop and a 36amp ESC . I also plan on using 5 or 6 HXT900 servos (depending on how I decide to configure the flaps) and an external 3-5amp switching BEC . Will be flying either Rhino 1550 or FlightMax 2200 3S packs. I still haven't decided whether to use an AR6100 or AR6200 receiver. I have the electronics sitting around waiting to get installed into something. I recently pulled them out of a similar sized FW190 that I no longer fly due to a mangled/melted cowling that seems impossible to replace for a reasonable price (*cough* GWS *cough*).

I see a lot of you folks here are using the 35-36C Turnigy. Hopefully, the 35-30C is strong enough. I don't really care if I get unlimited vertical so long as the plane climbs nicely. The Turnigy 3530C is slightly lighter than the stock motor, but I'm planning on adding landing gear and flaps. I'm guessing my bird will end up being a couple ounces heavier than stock after the mods and heavier battery. A 27-30 ounce flying weight should work well enough for this size plane, but I'm thinking landing speed might be an issue. Flaps will definitely help heft the extra weight when landing on shorter runways/smaller fields.

I've got a few questions:
  • Parkzone's propaganda claims the stock bird weighs 25 ounces. Can anyone confirm the stock flying weight?
  • Any suggestions as to how many degrees of deflection I should use for the flaps?
  • Can anyone recommend a good/inexpensive servo rate reducer for the flaps?
  • Are the thrust angles correct on the firewall or are they adjusted via the stock motor mount?
  • Can someone confirm that the parts in the replacement airframe kit have the stickers already applied or will I have to get a decal sheet?

EDIT:
Quote:
... she rolled onto her back and returned to mother earth with a thud
*ouch* Mike, I feel your pain. Been there, done that. I've come to the point where I like the foam texture of these foam park sized planes. Battle scars don't look near as bad. The foam texture tends to hide repairs better (and there's less fear factor when flying).
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Last edited by haiduk; Sep 19, 2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:23 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
I'm a little shattered at the moment.

Mike.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for what happened, I know the pain, after all those countless hours and then boom it's mother nature!
iscozky is offline Find More Posts by iscozky
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:36 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Hello haiduk,

Cheers for kind words,

I like your idea about a lighter motor, I will be getting a one of these for the rebuild, running a 30A esc and an APC 9x7.5E on 1600mah 3S.

The only concern is your choice of prop, when I look at similar motors running that prop in a calculator program; the 10x8 wants to draw above 30amps. I would be more inclined to stick with a 9" prop or try a 10x7 the mas wooden 9x8 quite good.

Mike.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:39 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Quote:
...The only concern is your choice of prop, when I look at similar motors running that prop in a calculator program; the 10x8 wants to draw above 30amps. I would be more inclined to stick with a 9" prop or try a 10x7 the mas wooden 9x8 quite good.
Thanks for pointing that out. I did some bench testing of the Turnigy 35-30C 1100kv.

I used a WattsUp meter to measure current and a thrust scale rig. I can only guess top speeds, but I'm looking for thrust more than top speed. Larger diameter instead of more pitch. I use a 40amp power supply that provides 12v and a 40amp Turnigy Plush ESC for testing. I know the numbers will be lower when using a 3S lipo. I wish I had more props to play around with. I don't have a tach.

My measured numbers:
APC 9x6E 19.2amps 205watts 912grams thrust
APC 10x5E 19.8amps 210watts 1105grams thrust
MAS 11x5.5 21.3amps 221watts 1215grams thrust
MAS 10x7 26.2amps 267watts 1384grams thrust (barely warm)
MAS 10x8 29.6amps 298watts 1435grams thrust (significant warming)

(not too bad for a 75g $20 motor)

You are right, the 10x8 does get very warm in a static bench test. How is the airflow in the PZ P51 BL? I'm sure it would unload a bit in the air, but it is not the most efficient prop-size for this motor. 1.5 to 1 thrust to weight is tough to resist though.

I think I like the numbers the 10x5 and/or 11x5.5 with this motor. 1100-1200 grams of thrust for an 800 gram aircraft should do the trick nicely. 20amps is a lot more efficient than 30amps. I don't have a 10x6 available to test, but from the looks of the numbers it looks like a 10x6 would be my best choice for this motor (225-250watt range). If I end up wanting more speed, the 9x7.5 or 9x8 should work well.

If I end up with anything over a 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio under 20amps, I will be happy. These numbers look promising.
Last edited by haiduk; Sep 19, 2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:09 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Air flows is ok, but if you do the battery position mod then its improved significantly, also make sure the elevator is tapped, or make a new one as I did. Another good idea is to glue the front cone of the spinner on with a temporary glue such as silicon or canopy glue; they never seem to stay in place when you run a higher spec motor. Also consider the Aeronaut 9.5x7 carbon, it's more efficient than he APCís
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:21 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Yeah, I read about the need for additional "taping" of the control surfaces. I do plan on modding the battery area for proper CoG. Seems the more questions I get answered the more questions I have. Where does the airflow exit from the fuselage? How is the stock stabilizer? Flimsy? Does it need to be rebuilt? Where can I pick up an Aeronaut 9.5x7 carbon?

EDIT: I found the Aeronaut props. I plan on using either a Dubro or Great Planes spinner (whichever has the aluminum back plate) not the stock one. I have a PZ T28, is the P51 stabilizer the same type?

... and by the way. Great tips in that thread. Thanks.
Last edited by haiduk; Sep 19, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:52 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
I'll post pics of my stock (3 flights only) h-stab, the main problem is that the hinge is quite flimsy, and is prone to tearing. Also where the two elevator halves connect is a little weak, so when you start putting more stress on it with greater airflow the more the control surface deflects, giving less response. Air flow in the fuse is exited through a single hole at the back of the radiator scoop.

Horizontal stab is made of depron... I think.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:13 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Thanks for the quick response and the photos. Looks like the air exit is at a well thought out low pressure point. If I remember right, aren't folks "closing" that same hole by adding a "Corsair tailwheel?" Probably not the best idea. Is there room for control linkage inside the fuselage to mount a Corsair tailwheel behind the air exit in a more scale location?

I will see what the stabilizer is like after my kit is delivered.

Oh yeah, Mike, you said your finish added about 3 ounces of weight. What was your final weight?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:29 AM
Registered Drug Free
Joined Jan 2009
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduk
Thanks for the quick response and the photos. Looks like the air exit is at a well thought out low pressure point. If I remember right, aren't folks "closing" that same hole by adding a "Corsair tailwheel?" Probably not the best idea. Is there room for control linkage inside the fuselage to mount a Corsair tailwheel behind the air exit in a more scale location?

I will see what the stabilizer is like after my kit is delivered.

Oh yeah, Mike, you said your finish added about 3 ounces of weight. What was your final weight?
My AUW was bang on 33oz. It's pretty much solid foam from the hole back to the tail, but there is plenty of room in the scoop area for the linkage, but the air needs to exit somewhere.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:43 AM
Dr. John
Sudbury, Canada
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
Condolences Luna.

Condolences Luna, even with the fuse in half yours still looks better than mine ever will, wing looks intake, fuse looks fixable with 5 minute epoxy, she will fly again!
johnprov is offline Find More Posts by johnprov